PlayStation Pro Announced, 45% Faster, Pre Orders Available (November 7) | Starting $699.99

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The hybrid design has been known since March 2024.

1728839302-image.png

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023

1728839302-image.png

“I’ll stick be sticking with my gaming PC” - What?

It’s weird watching these emotions pour out of publications like PC Gamer. It’s OK to ignore the PS5 Pro. It won't come out of the closet at night to hurt them if they do.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

It’s weird watching these emotions pour out of publications like PC Gamer. It’s OK to ignore the PS5 Pro. It won't come out of the closet at night to hurt them if they do.
All the posts and articles and tweets about "if you had infinite money why would you still play on console" really get to me.
It's difficult to answer why I prefer playing on a console right now but I have close to 30 years of pc gaming behind me and there are many reasons I just prefer to play on console nowadays.
And then attacks start:
-"you idiot pc is so easy"
-"just click medium, it's like modes on ps5"
-"wealth of settings and hardware options"
-"fix for everything".

I know. I was a pc gamer since 1997. I can do anything on a pc. I can fix any game. It was never a problem. Not when I was 7 and not when I am 35. Now it's super easy, steam forums and pcgamingwiki save you a ton of time. The answerws are right there. Don't even have to experiment.
It's not rocket science. I feel that every "pc gamer" that accuses me or others of this... don't really know anything about pcs themselves if they really think building and using a pc is a rocket science lol. I was building computers and installing windows 98 from a boot fd when I was 7-8. Fixing games, setting up sound cards, irq codes, you even had to add mouse to dos to make it work. But idiots now think they are rocket scientists because they can install drivers and use pcgamingwiki.
that's the only way I can explain the superiority feel of so called pcmr. They are dumber than they think. Otherwise they would know it's all simple, basic, not worth bragging about stuff.

But then why I play on console if pc is so easy?
just because I feel like so. I want to put in the disc and play the experience handed to me by the developer. Exactly as they intended. Specially prepared with all the limitations in mind. Currently I also love the 3d audio, pulse3d and dualsense integration, the general experience. It's just so care free and easy. I used to be obsessed and ocd about my game settings and framerates. But I found out that on consoles I just play. And these new consoles are so cool for me with screenshot button too. It's right there, I don't even have to reach for f10 key (my usual binding for screenshots). At least they fixed hdr tonemapping to sdr screenshot in steam finally.

So no. It doesn't have to be rational or thought out. Game can run 100fps more on pc and I don't care. Sure I still play on pc but I choose ps5 more this gen. It is my main platform.
Also another thing is that pc makes me feel like a fucking tool recently. everything is digital, nvidia shits in our mouths, constant feel the need to uprade and there are stll small considerations and problems with each game and that's a fact even if it's only an annoyance. Meanwhile I can spend 400-500 (or 700$ pro bucks) to just have fun without waiting for pc release, have the disc and play.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022

Just sour grapes from the PC fanatics.

They have no issue with weaker gaming devices from Ayaneo and Asus costing more than a PS5 Pro.

Heck they would be jumping on a similar device if it was released by Valve.

Make the PS5 Pro a Steam machine and watch their tune change.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024

PC gaming has had AI upscaling for 6 years while consoles sat and watched due to bad timing and reliance on AMD.

Now with a mid-gen refresh, Sony is correcting the fact that the PS5 was not able to launch with AI upscaling and the ramifications are staggering for PC.

The previous generation utilized SATA drives... even the mid gen refreshes... They were terribly behind the ball. With Jaguar cores, they were terribly behind PC.

This is the first time in a long time where we can see consoles are clear as day on the front foot.

PC prices are increasing pretty drastically and people have to make decisions. Do people running old hardware upgrade to new hardware? Do new people jump into the PC world? Do people with high powered systems continue to invest in PC or do they wait for the PS6?

These are all questions posed by the PS5 Pro that won't be answered for the next 4 years or more. PC was already struggling with the value proposition question, but the PS6 will be a much better value proposition than PC. That is the statement Sony is making with the PS5 Pro.

That's why you're seeing emotions pour out now, because people are desperate to control the narrative over the next 4 years. It's why Xbox fans wanted to diminish the importance of the PS5 Pro.

Not everyone has to buy the PS5 Pro for it to have an impact, but the bigger sales it does have will influence how aggressive Sony gets with the PS6. People inherently know this.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I'll add that PSSR has far reaching implications across multiple elements of this industry and all those implications have people anxious.

Example:
Sony puts out a handheld ps5 that utilizes PSSR and it eats away at Steam Deck demand. PC fans who love the Steam Deck may get minimized support as a result. Valve can not go head to head with Sony on hardware and marketing. The PSP sold 80 million units.

Example:
If/when Microsoft retreats from the console space, if PlayStation is able to consolidate gains from that market share, it could easily get significantly more priority in development over PC leading to PC ports that are unoptimized and/or delayed PC release dates.

The PS2 sold 155 million units, the Xbox sold 24 million, Gamecube 22 million, and Dreamcast 9 million. The Xbox Series is not selling 55 million units. It just isn't. The PS5 could easily outsell the PS4, but won't reach the levels of the PS2, but the gap between PlayStation and Xbox may become larger than ever.

Sony regaining it's PS2 level market share is a huge shift in console gaming and it will have a huge impact on PC as well.

You'll probably see more exclusives/timed exclusives on console and yes, eventually Sony will have its own PC launcher.

These are all the things that the PC community desperately wants to avoid. PS5 Pro is just the start...

Landiri

12 Sep 2024
If/when Microsoft retreats from the console space, if PlayStation is able to consolidate gains from that market share, it could easily get significantly more priority in development over PC leading to PC ports that are unoptimized and/or delayed PC release dates.
What happened to MS?

Did they gave up already?

Guess the end of the Ambassador Program made all the Shills jump the Ship...

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

German website HardwareDealz has attempted to create a PS5 Pro Killer with the PC.
In the end, they say it's currently impossible to create a gaming PC that can compete with the PS5 Pro in terms of price and performance, at least not without compromise.

image.png

1465686632-jesuus-risitas.png

• fire
Reactions: Entropi

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
What happened to MS?

Did they gave up already?

Guess the end of the Ambassador Program made all the Shills jump the Ship...

Microsoft has been in a position where they've clearly raised the white flag. They're no longer pushing for big AAA exclusives and even worse they are putting their own games on PlayStation, which is the exact opposite of getting big AAA exclusives.

When Starfield failed to move units it was game over for the Xbox Series. They've had nothing of consequence this year and have nothing of consequence next year outside of GTA6.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

Where are the 2.35GHz GPU clocks coming from? The previous specs seemed to point to 2.18GHz due to the 33.5 TFLOPs leak.

The earlier specs could be pointing to base clocks, but I'm curious as to where the 2.35GHz number came from.

1728839302-image.png

The 67 TFLOPs in FP16 (meaning 33.5 TFLOPs FP32) also point to 2.181GHz clocks.
60 CUs * 64 ALUs-per-CU * 2 multiply+add * 2 double-pumped ALUs * 2.181GHz = 33.5 TFLOPs.

On RDNA3 the WMMA engine is capable of doing 512 INT8 ops per CU per clock but RDNA4 doubles that to 1024.

So in the case of RDNA4 / PS5 Pro, the new SWMMA engine (Sparsity Wave Matrix Multiply Accumulate) seems to do 1024 * 60 * 2.181GHz = 134 TOPs INT8/BF8 in raw throughput, and then it doubles that value thanks to sparsity towards 268 TOPs INT8/BF8.

If that 2.35GHz clock ends up being confirmed, we're looking at 289 TOPs INT8/BF8 which would indeed be much closer to the 300 TOPs.

• Informative
Reactions: Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
1728837558-image.png

Ok, I didn't know DF had made disclosures themselves. 2.35GHz still seems a bit short for boost clocks on a N4 chip, though I guess Sony is going for maximum yields as they lack any competition in the mid-gen space.

Because it has 4CU disabled. Math is pretty simple. You get 33.7TFlops with 56CU at 2.35GHz

Or I'm wrong, who cares, I just want non-woke games to play

Full GPU is 64 CU, with 2 WGPs disabled for redundancy it's 60CU.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Ok, I didn't know DF had made disclosures themselves. 2.35GHz still seems a bit short for boost clocks on a N4 chip, though I guess Sony is going for maximum yields as they lack any competition in the mid-gen space.

They also don't want to spend more on power supplies and cooling, it'll still be in the same 300w envelope

8 Aug 2024

There was a rumor said 2.35GHz is for no patch basic PS5 game boost ( 36CU active but 2.23 -> 2.35 ),
The Pro enhanced game will set 60CU with 2.18, but I can't find the source.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
There was a rumor said 2.35GHz is for no patch basic PS5 game boost ( 36CU active but 2.23 -> 2.35 ),
The Pro enhanced game will set 60CU with 2.18, but I can't find the source.

If this is true, I wonder if we're looking at a big chip built on N6 instead.
Looking at wafer prices, it would be a lot cheaper to make a ~400mm^2 N6 chip instead of a <300mm^2 N4, and these base/boost clocks would actually make more sense.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I like that there is still no real consensus if slim plates will match.
I still bet they will

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I still bet they will

An example of Sony's really poor communication skills as of late.

If this turns into a nothing burger, you'll have to wonder why they just didn't take the early win.

At this point, I don't know if they're going to send out review units. Starting to doubt it, but they've made no efforts to start marketing against what has seemingly been pretty soft demand.

Reactions: rofif

YeezyDude

Veteran
17 Jun 2024
Denmark
I still bet they will
It doesn't seem like they'll so far... But I think Sony will let us know 1-2 weeks before the PS5 Pro is out if they do work or not. But what they said on the PS Blog seems like they won't work so we'll have to wait for some new ones.

Reactions: rofif