PlayStation Pro Announced, 45% Faster, Pre Orders Available (November 7) | Starting $699.99

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yeah, this hardware reveal is least existing because we already saw the super pro version of SIE games tunning on RTX 4090. That's the biggest problem here. PC ports.

Yep that is a massive reason too.

We have seen PlayStation First Party games look amazing on PC.

These PC ports have literally killed the WOW factor in Playstation hardware.

I would have been excited regardless of the price otherwise.

Englishy

6 Jun 2024
They missed a wiiiiiiiiiiiide open layup. From a marketing perspective:

1) Bad reveal. I'm 100% convinced that the people running the first-show/announcement-stage of PlayStation products are 100% unqualified for their position(s). I'm not talking about the overused DEI-woke-casually racist nonsense that has infested YouTube and Elon's diary. I genuinely believe that the people who are being paid to plan the reveal and showcase of PlayStation products have resumes that need to be thoroughly investigated by their HR department. Showing PS4 ports and PC-available games for a $700 PS5 is extraordinary levels of dumb. It's like if Apple announced they would show the iPhone 16 and then they started their presentation by showing the iPhone 15 and Galaxy S24 looking perfectly fine. You never want people to think of things that undermine your entire presentation while you're giving your presentation.

2) Bad pricing for Europe. They're already behind in Europe this gen due to the higher cost of the PS5 in virtually all 50+ countries in Europe. The 'money people' at Sony are severely underestimating the value of European market share.

3) Bad uninspired design. It's still a PS5 so expecting a large difference in aesthetics is dumb. However, given that the PS5 is the first and only PlayStation console with user customizability (i.e., removability) of the external shell, they completely missed the opportunity to do something cool with the look of the Pro. Even a rotating PS logo on the front of the machine would be something to talk about rather than the gills/black vents on the console.

4) Bad value proposition. $700 for no disc drive, no stand, no new startup beep, not even a few months of PS+ or a free Concord-inspired joke book etc. It's just a really bad offer. The disc drive decision makes great business sense for new customers but completely devalues the Pro for current PS5 users. I understand that they make virtually no money on used game sales, so selling the disc drive seems like the better option. However, the value of in-the-box backwards compatibility is extremely high for the majority of PS5 users. The Pro is being advertised as a machine that "Makes your older shit look better." How are you supposed to know your older shit looks better if you can't even use your older shit?

5) Bad advertising slogan. "Witness Play Unleashed" tells you nothing about the new console or its features. Even worse, it's unnecessarily wordy, which guarantees a bunch of mistranslations in a bunch of non-English speaking markets.

It's pretty obvious that the majority of their managerial talent is about as skilled as a rapidly expiring loaf of bread. The Pro is (obviously) not intended as a mass market device. However, when the actual audience for the device is left wondering what the point of the device is, you're in for some rough waters. I didn't expect them to repeat the same PSVR 2 mistakes so soon but here we are.

Last edited:

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
This is insane by Sony. What were they thinking?
I was expecting a bigger jump in graphics and aiming for 120fps on old titles, not "targeting" 60fps.

For £699.99 you can buy a decent PC and play Playstation games. I hope the OG sees a severe price cut.

Sorry for the first post to be negative but what are Sony thinking?
A 699 PC won't even match base PS5. Please, show me a cart with complete PC parts total of 699 and is as good as PS5 pro

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
They missed a wiiiiiiiiiiiide open layup. From a marketing perspective:

1) Bad reveal. I'm 100% convinced that the people running the first-show/announcement-stage of PlayStation products are 100% unqualified for their position(s). I'm not talking about the overused DEI-woke-casually racist nonsense that has infested YouTube and Elon's diary. I genuinely believe that the people who are being paid to plan the reveal and showcase of PlayStation products have resumes that need to be thoroughly investigated by their HR department. Showing PS4 ports and PC-available games for a $700 PS5 is extraordinary levels of dumb. It's like if Apple announced they would show the iPhone 16 and then they started their presentation by showing the iPhone 15 and Galaxy S24 looking perfectly fine. You never want people to think of things that undermine your entire presentation while you're giving your presentation.

2) Bad pricing for Europe. They're already behind in Europe this gen due to the higher cost of the PS5 in virtually all 50+ countries in Europe. The money people at Sony are severely underestimating the value of European market share.

3) Bad uninspired design. It's still a PS5 so expecting a large difference in aesthetics is dumb. However, given that the PS5 is the first and only PlayStation console with user customizability (i.e., removability) of the external shell, they completely missed the opportunity to do something cool with the look of the Pro. Even a rotating PS logo on the front of the machine would be something to talk about rather than the gills/black vents on the console.

4) Bad value proposition. $700 for no disc drive, no stand, no new startup beep, not even a few months of PS+ or a free Concord-inspired joke book etc. It's just a really bad offer. The disc drive decision makes great business sense for new customers but completely devalues the Pro for current PS5 users. I understand that they make virtually no money on used game sales, so selling the disc drive seems like the better option. However, the value of out-of-the-box backwards compatibility is extremely high for the majority of PS5 users. The Pro is being advertised as a machine that "Makes your older shit look better." How are you supposed to know your older shit looks better if you can't even use your older shit?

5) Bad advertising slogan. "Witness Play Unleashed" tells you nothing about the new console or its features. Even worse, it's unnecessarily wordy, which guarantees a bunch of mistranslations in a bunch of non-English speaking markets.

It's pretty obvious that the majority of their managerial talent is about as skilled as a rapidly expiring loaf of bread. The Pro is (obviously) not intended as a mass market device. However, when the actual audience for the device is left wondering what the point of the device is, you're in for some rough waters. I didn't expect them to repeat the same PSVR 2 mistakes so soon but here we are.
Sony's marketing this generation is a yotal disaster. They are riding on PS4 success for sure.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
1725989523-fortheplayers799.png

& with the disc drive

1725989539-playhasnolimits.png

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
People have been acting like this since the rumours. Usual anti PS bs argument that don’t hold wait to any other company that does the same.

Imagine if graphic cards by Nvidia and Amd kept coming out with improved performance with massive price increases and people had an option to buy them and not effecting others who dont…. Oh wait they do lol.
Its only ever a “problem” and concern when PS does it
those suckers championing 20% increase in GPU for increased price.
yet, Playstation makes console 100% more powerful, suddenly is not enough.

Lorrdd

2 May 2023
Day 1

If you're broke why you trying to buy a pro console in the first place?
I paid $756 for my OG PS5 so for me this is an easy purchase, I’m definitely excited to see the other games that did or didn’t get upgrades more than anything

Boswollox

7 Sep 2024
A 699 PC won't even match base PS5. Please, show me a cart with complete PC parts total of 699 and is as good as PS5 pro
Read the thread, we've done this. Graphically, a ps5pro is better price:performance than a PC. Consoles have always had that advantage. That and exclusives.

PC has better versatility and flexibility. It depends what you want to buy and why.

Personally I'm happy upgrading my £500 PC with £700 parts and bumping 1080p ultra at 60 to 1440p ultra at 120. Plus, 12TB of HDD and 2TB NVME means I never have to worry about storage.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Lol more then I thought. 700 bucks for a console? 800 euros for a console? This one is for the pay pigs.
It's fascinating to me.... PC dudes run around all over the web talking about their $1000+ PCs to no issues.... Sony puts out $700 console and we're pay pigs :ROFLMAO:

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Lersds and Kokoloko

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
Where the fuck is the PS5 pro 100% more powerful than the PS5? you'd think if it actually were that much stronger the 700 price would be a lot more justified

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Some more fun for you guys.
Apparently I am a stupid idiot who is wasting 700$ lol and I should get a pc.
These people are so crazy.
FHe0NwJ.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: FatKaz

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Exactly. lol look at the shitstorm going on on reddit. I am hiczok there. Answered to someone arguing with me. That is later in the discussion
wEoGV8r.png

Apparently that guy got 450 euro pc that blows away a ps5 and I am atupid to have paid 700$ for 3080. where are these idiots coming from
from Phil's dump?

• haha
Reactions: rofif

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Don't like to give Crapgamer his due but on this point he's right. This is why a portion of people aren't bother by the $700.

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022

Don't like to give Crapgamer his due but on this point he's right. This is why a portion of people aren't bother by the $700.

and I don't want to sound like a rich fuck (I am not rich, only a fuck) but it's ONLY 700$ !!! in 2024 money!!! that's... nothing for my main gaming hobby. I would spend way more money for passion of my life.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I expect nothing less from them non real PS fans lol. Hive minded

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
and I don't want to sound like a rich fuck (I am not rich, only a fuck) but it's ONLY 700$ !!! in 2024 money!!! that's... nothing for my main gaming hobby. I would spend way more money for passion of my life.
You don't need to be rich. People can stop drinking beer for few weeks and they will save enough money for the pro 😁