Playstation Showcase Prediction Thread

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
PlayStation is never getting the privilege of a GTA 6 trailer even though they have a deal.
99% chance you are right but Sony have had GTA5 trailers to go with conferences before multiple times

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
No games to show? Having their best studios work on live service games only to completely change strategy? Having released more ports this year alone than first party games since GoW Ragnarok?
Published their fastest selling game ever in Nov 22, then did it again in Oct 23, then did it again in Feb 24
Record breaking year for console sales and revenue
All without needing to show their hand five years early. How's that working for Xbox? Everybody was clearly super hyped after 5 years of trailers for HellBlade 2. Has it broken 4k CCU yet?
Sony will show games when devs are ready and are doing more than fine without years long marketing cycles AND it's making Devs happier

Some of you need to admit you were wrong when you're wrong. I'll admit it, I thought Sony being so secretive would hurt them but it has done nothing of the sort

And their closest contemporary in success, Nintendo, is just as secretive about their projects

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Published their fastest selling game ever in Nov 22, then did it again in Oct 23, then did it again in Feb 24
Published =/= developed. I mentioned first party for a reason.

Record breaking year for console sales and revenue
I don't play console sales or revenue. Also, they missed their console sales target by over 16% (4.2M consoles).

All without needing to show their hand five years early. How's that working for Xbox? Everybody was clearly super hyped after 5 years of trailers for HellBlade 2. Has it broken 4k CCU yet?
I don't give two shits about Xbox.

Sony will show games when devs are ready and are doing more than fine without years long marketing cycles AND it's making Devs happier
This is not a counter argument to what I said.

Some of you need to admit you were wrong when you're wrong. I'll admit it, I thought Sony being so secretive would hurt them but it has done nothing of the sort
I said their PC port strategy and lack of first party output would have repercussions in their console sales - The fact is that they missed their target massively, are trailing behind the PS4, and the gap will increase further this year.

I also said their live service strategy (having their best studios developing LS games) was going to bite them in the ass, and behold, it did, with them cancelling a bunch of games, laying of entire teams dedicated to online games, and having no first party output to show.

So I will admit I was right.

And their closest contemporary in success, Nintendo, is just as secretive about their projects
Besides the point again.

Reactions: J_Paganel

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Published =/= developed. I mentioned first party for a reason.
And I said nothing about first party, I said Sony. Don't quote me and then expect me to simply address your subtracted definition so it's convenient for you

I don't play console sales or revenue. Also, they missed their console sales target by over 16% (4.2M consoles).
Seems like you play targets though. Guess what? They can miss a target AND also have their best selling year of all time at the same time..crazy right?

This is not a counter argument to what I said.
Translation: you're stumped and can't address it

I said their PC port strategy and lack of first party output would have repercussions in their console sales - The fact is that they missed their target massively, are trailing behind the PS4, and the gap will increase further this year.
They are behind because of start of gen shortages. Once again, they sold 20.8 million units for the year. Higher than any year PS4 ever had. Come back to reality, Satoru, it's nicer here.

I also said their live service strategy (having their best studios developing LS games) was going to bite them in the ass, and behold, it did, with them cancelling a bunch of games, laying of entire teams dedicated to online games, and having no first party output to show.

And as I pointed out, their best ever selling game has come from the GAAS strategy. Sony have picked quality over quantity as they always do. Games get funded, assessed, some get cut.

If anything you're just arguing in favour of them not showing their hand too early on their projects, because games do get canned all the time.

But ultimately it is a black mark on Sony. They tried something, found where it didn't work, and are adjusting while finding success where the strategy did work.

Conflating their GAAS strategy with their single player strategy is nonsense though. Besides Naughty Dog the rest of their GAAS strategy has been with new developers not their single player devs

Besides the point again
You're good at trying to dodge anything uncomfortable that undermines your inconsistent arguments, I'll give you that.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This current SOP doesn't need to be amazing it just needs to tell PS5 owners what else is coming this year... 2025 is already gonna be a gigantic year for them.. so they just need to land the ship for the remainder of this year.

Concord needs to hit it out the park and I am really hoping it does as the premise has always intrigued me.

I assume we'll see something from Guerrilla Games in some way.

We know of Astro Bot apparently.

They can drop a Ghost of Tsushima teaser as well.

Hopefully we will see something from Housemarque this year.
People need to know what else is coming this gen not just this year. Why would this stupid company not use that to sell more consoles this late into the gen?

Reactions: kuzon and J_Paganel

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
People need to know what else is coming this gen not just this year. Why would this stupid company not use that to sell more consoles this late into the gen?
Sony is now interested in dreams of "big growth" thanks to PC ports, services, and the emphasis on other divisions that the gaming division has to pay for.

It seems like they don't care about the PS5 and its future, especially considering how they treat IP and studios outside the triumvirate (Gorilla, ND, Insomniac).

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony is now interested in dreams of "big growth" thanks to PC ports, services, and the emphasis on other divisions that the gaming division has to pay for.

It seems like they don't care about the PS5 and its future, especially considering how they treat IP and studios outside the triumvirate (Gorilla, ND, Insomniac).
ND doesnt even get threated that well, they just got their game canceled, Uncharted is being ignored and instead of Guerrilla SSM is the actual prestige studio they have in that tier.

J_Paganel

30 Jan 2024
ND doesnt even get threated that well, they just got their game canceled, Uncharted is being ignored and instead of Guerrilla SSM is the actual prestige studio they have in that tier.
ND got a lot of resources for Tlou MP, but it was canceled halfway through, and now they have another unknown project, and I don't see any negative consequences for the studio.

Gorilla, which received a lot of attention (perhaps due to the "friendship" between Ryan and Huls), was about the creation and promotion of Horizon, including a VR spinoff.

Other studios received IP cancellations, staff cuts, weak marketing, and much smaller budgets for IPs like Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone. In addition, almost nothing is known about their new projects.

While the triumvirate was gorging itself on budgets and attention, everyone else was getting crumbs. Along with the PC ports, thanks to the above actions, Sony is driving its gaming division to the bottom.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
ND got a lot of resources for Tlou MP, but it was canceled halfway through, and now they have another unknown project, and I don't see any negative consequences for the studio.

Gorilla, which received a lot of attention (perhaps due to the "friendship" between Ryan and Huls), was about the creation and promotion of Horizon, including a VR spinoff.

Other studios received IP cancellations, staff cuts, weak marketing, and much smaller budgets for IPs like Ghost of Tsushima and Days Gone. In addition, almost nothing is known about their new projects.

While the triumvirate was gorging itself on budgets and attention, everyone else was getting crumbs. Along with the PC ports, thanks to the above actions, Sony is driving its gaming division to the bottom.
Getting your game canceled is pretty much one of the worst outcomes short of getting shut down.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And I said nothing about first party, I said Sony. Don't quote me and then expect me to simply address your subtracted definition so it's convenient for you
You actually didn't say Sony, you said "published" as a response to me saying "no games to show".
No games to show? Having their best studios work on live service games only to completely change strategy? Having released more ports this year alone than first party games since GoW Ragnarok?

Seems like you play targets though. Guess what? They can miss a target AND also have their best selling year of all time at the same time..crazy right?
You're the one that mentioned sales numbers, not me. I simply pointed that they missed their targets massively, which is a fact.

Translation: you're stumped and can't address it
No, what you did is called "whataboutism". I did not mention Xbox, you did to try and get some sort of gotcha (which you're trying again).

They are behind because of start of gen shortages. Once again, they sold 20.8 million units for the year. Higher than any year PS4 ever had. Come back to reality, Satoru, it's nicer here.

They were trailing behind during shortages, then started catching up post shortages, and are now predicting that they will start trailing behind again. This is easily demonstrable by their FY2024 PS5 sales target of 18M consoles vs their realised FY2017 PS4 sales of 19M consoles.

And it remains to be seen if they will not miss the above target as well due to the lack of exclusives and their continued bet on PC ports.

To clarify
- They were behind
- They started catching up post shortages
- They are now losing steam and selling less and the PS4 launch adjusted

And as I pointed out, their best ever selling game has come from the GAAS strategy. Sony have picked quality over quantity as they always do. Games get funded, assessed, some get cut.
This does not address what I said, and Helldivers is not their best selling game ever, it's the fastest selling. it still has to sell around 10M more copies to take that crown. We also don't know the standards of quality for the cancelled games, we simply know that Naughty Dog cancelled theirs because it would take the whole studio to support the game, and would impact their Single Player development. Amazing how I also predicted that (comment quoted below)

If anything you're just arguing in favour of them not showing their hand too early on their projects, because games do get canned all the time.
Nice strawman

But ultimately it is a black mark on Sony. They tried something, found where it didn't work, and are adjusting while finding success where the strategy did work.
And yet anybody with half a functional brain could have told them (like many of us said here) that having their best studios working on live service games would backfire. I inclusively said more than once that they should have secondary studios or partnerships dealing with these. Guess what, the one they released and was successful was from a partnership.

Again, I was right.

Conflating their GAAS strategy with their single player strategy is nonsense though. Besides Naughty Dog the rest of their GAAS strategy has been with new developers not their single player devs
Wrong, as I've proven before. And this doesn't even include the scrapped Spider-man Online game, which makes it at least 5 the number of Live Service games being worked on by main studios.

If you require further proof of my previous comments:

Covid of course had an impact, but when you have all your main studios tied to kiddie live service games, excuses will only take you so far. And I mean sony, not you you.

Next year will be even worse than this year, all because Jim Ryan is an incompetent dickwad that had/has Bend, Guerrilla, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, all working on live service games concurrent with their main SP offerings.

Live-service games take a lot more development time and hands, especially to maintain, than SP games. It's no wonder this gen is so fucked.
You're good at trying to dodge anything uncomfortable that undermines your inconsistent arguments, I'll give you that.
Nope, it is really besides the point, and another example of whataboutism. I'm not discussing Nintendo or Xbox, I'm discussing Playstation.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Bullshit, the growth is real and PS continues being the main SIE focus and they are treating well a lot of IPs.

Bullshit. ND is one of their most successful and prestigious teams, so obviously get more attention and budget than other teams with lower sales or awaards. Plus ND now has multiple new SP games in the works, not just one.

Guerrilla's games are now as successful as ND, but with cheaper and faster developments. Like Guerrilla, Bend and GoT as they got more successful and moved to bigger projects their budgets will also grow.

Their gaming division is more successful than they have ever been.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That wasn't the point of my comment? I said next year will be a big year for them and I'm sure they will have more to announce next year..they already outlined that, next year they will have bigger games to show. We know more about next year than we do about the next 6 months.

That should be the purpose of this SOP.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
this is the wukong leaker, we can finally rest

Makes sense since they will unveil the PS5PRO then and show a bunch of titles running on it. Would not be surprised if we see another more lengthy GTA6 trailer with Fall 2025 at the end.

We are still suppose to get a SOP soon.

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
The Square Enix leaker Navtra.
JQH8zy7.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Nhomnhom

Ico

8 May 2024
time to manage our expectation guys, i will settle for a SoP with AstroBot

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
no may showcase. Jeff was wrong. Not really unexpected. Jeff leaks/intel are always 50 50.