Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
Forspoken is a great game, don't listen to all these internet people shitting on it. 15 hours in so far. If it looks up your alley please don't hesitate.

Yeah, I think a certain community is going to use that game to attack Playstation for the next 6 months at least.
I never seen a game like this that make people go out of their way to tell everyone that they don't like the game or its cringey when there is discussions about the game. I don't know why people have to advertise that they don't like the game and just allow people who is posting gameplay videos or having discussion about the game just enjoy the game.

I didnt start my copy yet but im sure ill enjoy it when I start it tomorrow

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
You shut off internet whenever a PlayStation exclusive is released? It happens practically every single time.
I am morbidly curious what puddlegate 2.0 is going to be for Spiderman 2, or what the angle of attack will be for FF16.
Either way, we just need to ignore what that community/biased influencers say and enjoy what we want to enjoy.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
You shut off internet whenever a PlayStation exclusive is released? It happens practically every single time.
lol nah....im just saying it seems that people are going out their way to shot from the mountain top that they don't like this game more than other PlayStation exclusives or timed exclusives. Maybe im different, because if there is a discussion about a game that I dont care about...I just not even participate in the discussion

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Didn't really read this but it popped up on the news feed....

It's only a guess work based on the facts that months ago SE sold their western studios and months later said they planned to sell participations of some of their other studios.

The thing is, if SE plans to sell parts of their studios pretty likely means they don't plan to sell the whole company, but only portion of their studios instead.

So what I think it's more likely is that SE won't sell the company, but instead Sony, Tencent and others would invest on acquiring (pretty likely minority) stakes of some of the SE studios.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It's only a guess work based on the facts that months ago SE sold their western studios and months later said they planned to sell participations of some of their other studios.

The thing is, if SE plans to sell parts of their studios pretty likely means they don't plan to sell the whole company, but only portion of their studios instead.

So what I think it's more likely is that SE won't sell the company, but instead Sony, Tencent and others would invest on acquiring (pretty likely minority) stakes of some of the SE studios.

I feel like that makes running the company terribly messy.... it's obviously their decision but I see very little advantage that could not be made into a contract per game instead.

I find it all very questionable.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I feel like that makes running the company terribly messy.... it's obviously their decision but I see very little advantage that could not be made into a contract per game instead.

It’s is much cleaner and simpler than per-game contracts, and means more profit participation for SquareEnix if things are done the way it would be expected to do them.

It would probably work very well for both parties on multiple fronts, as you also wouldn’t have the culture issues involved in a complete buyout.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Well, it's something very common in big corportations: there is a global company and then different subsidiaries.

And then they sell small portions of these companies to get extra revenue while keeping the majority for them. By doing this, they still control these studios but earn billions from selling these parts. And well, they can also use these transactions as part of other deals.

For companies like Sony or Tencent it's interesting, because they can invest on very successful companies and by doing nothing they earn money from dividends (portion of their profits sent to investors). And instead of investing on the mother company that may have several business that don't interest them (let's say Kadokawa) they can invest on their specific subsidiary that may interest them (From Software).

It's a win/win. In some cases, they may decide to sell a majority to let's say Sony or Tencent. In that case Sony or Tencent would control that studio but SE would keep a share of the studio, meaning that Sony/Tencent would handle the hard work while they would get dividends.

There are many options. IPs or exclusives aren't normally involved in this, but like anything it could be negotiated and included in a deal.

In the practical terms, it could help Sony to get totally or partially the parts that interest them from Square (let's say the Creative Units I, II and III, which are the mian FF, KH, DQ, Nier, Bravely, Octopath teams plus maybe some other gaming team like Taito) while not paying for stuff they may not want (pachinkos, manga, books, arcades, etc)

Last edited:

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Didn't really read this but it popped up on the news feed....

Its from a non-credible outlet and the article links back to a previous one where they talk about Sony only buying CBU I, the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts team, despite FF XVI actually being from CBU III. AKA the guy doesn't know what he's talking about and is speculating based on an Eidos dev's comments and what he can read on wikipedia.

Also, maybe just me, but Eidos Montreal seems like a studio that people should want. The recent Tomb Raider games seemed like they followed the same play-book as Sony's first party outlook and Lara Craft is still considered a Playstation mascot to many.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
Well, it's something very common in big corportations: there is a global company and then different subsidiaries.

And then they sell small portions of these companies to get extra revenue while keeping the majority for them. By doing this, they still control these studios but earn billions from selling these parts. And well, they can also use these transactions as part of other deals.

For companies like Sony or Tencent it's interesting, because they can invest on very successful companies and by doing nothing they earn money from dividends (portion of their profits sent to investors). And instead of investing on the mother company that may have several business that don't interest them (let's say Kadokawa) they can invest on their specific subsidiary that may interest them (From Software).

It's a win/win. In some cases, they may decide to sell a majority to let's say Sony or Tencent. In that case Sony or Tencent would control that studio but SE would keep a share of the studio, meaning that Sony/Tencent would handle the hard work while they would get dividends.

There are many options. IPs or exclusives aren't normally involved in this, but like anything it could be negotiated and included in a deal.

In the practical terms, it could help Sony to get totally or partially the parts that interest them from Square (let's say the Creative Units I, II and III, which are the mian FF, KH, DQ, Nier, Bravely, Octopath teams plus maybe some other gaming team like Taito) while not paying for stuff they may not want (pachinkos, manga, books, arcades, etc)
can you shed some light here? How has Sony not bought Square to this day? They've been working very closely together since the PS1 days with FF7 and all that stuff. As a matter of fact FF X was the very first game that I've played when I got a PS2. I will never understand still to this day how Sony hasn't bought them or the Final Fantasy IP. It just doesn't make sense to me. I refuse to play FF games on Xbox, it doesn't feel the same as silly and dumb as that sounds lol.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Its from a non-credible outlet and the article links back to a previous one where they talk about Sony only buying CBU I, the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts team, despite FF XVI actually being from CBU III. AKA the guy doesn't know what he's talking about and is speculating based on an Eidos dev's comments and what he can read on wikipedia.

Also, maybe just me, but Eidos Montreal seems like a studio that people should want. The recent Tomb Raider games seemed like they followed the same play-book as Sony's first party outlook and Lara Craft is still considered a Playstation mascot to many.

You make a lot of sense here, I also loved Guardians tbh.

I only expected support studio buys this year anyway, so if they ever make a big buy it would be a pleasant surprise.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
can you shed some light here? How has Sony not bought Square to this day? They've been working very closely together since the PS1 days with FF7 and all that stuff. As a matter of fact FF X was the very first game that I've played when I got a PS2. I will never understand still to this day how Sony hasn't bought them or the Final Fantasy IP. It just doesn't make sense to me. I refuse to play FF games on Xbox, it doesn't feel the same as silly and dumb as that sounds lol.
Well, if their games sell best on, and are often exclusive to, Playstation then why take on the risk of buying them? Nintendo has groups like HAL Labs that they've worked with nearly exclusively for 30 years now that they haven't brought yet. Not to mention that until recently Square did do significant business on the DS line of consoles (and has continued on Switch with retro games.) S-E also has a significant manga business (which Sony might want, since they also have one) and an arcade division in Taito which they likely have no interest in. They also have three mobile studios, independent publishing deals, etc. They are more than just FF and DQ. And by not owning S-E they are off-loading the risk of titles failing. And lots of S-E games do fail, not just the former Eidos ones, lots of them.

Now, as to why that might be different now? Streaming has upended the table and left people in a race for content. Ever-increasing dev costs are forcing some formerly independent studios to seek buyouts. S-E might not be in such a great place financially, long-term anyway. Competition from Nintendo in regards to JRPG buyers.* Better ability to leverage S-E IP across multiple media formats outside of Japan. (Sony owns a movie studio, Square almost went bankrupt when they tried to open one.)

*Do NOT over-look this one. When handhelds became the best sellers in Japan, AAA studios shifted their Japan-centric titles towards the handheld market. Switch is dominating in Japan and you might start to see S-E make that same shift if FF and especially DQ bomb on "nex-gen" consoles.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Well, if their games sell best on, and are often exclusive to, Playstation then why take on the risk of buying them? Nintendo has groups like HAL Labs that they've worked with nearly exclusively for 30 years now that they haven't brought yet. Not to mention that until recently Square did do significant business on the DS line of consoles (and has continued on Switch with retro games.) S-E also has a significant manga business (which Sony might want, since they also have one) and an arcade division in Taito which they likely have no interest in. They also have three mobile studios, independent publishing deals, etc. They are more than just FF and DQ. And by not owning S-E they are off-loading the risk of titles failing. And lots of S-E games do fail, not just the former Eidos ones, lots of them.

Now, as to why that might be different now? Streaming has upended the table and left people in a race for content. Ever-increasing dev costs are forcing some formerly independent studios to seek buyouts. S-E might not be in such a great place financially, long-term anyway. Competition from Nintendo in regards to JRPG buyers.* Better ability to leverage S-E IP across multiple media formats outside of Japan. (Sony owns a movie studio, Square almost went bankrupt when they tried to open one.)

*Do NOT over-look this one. When handhelds became the best sellers in Japan, AAA studios shifted their Japan-centric titles towards the handheld market. Switch is dominating in Japan and you might start to see S-E make that same shift if FF and especially DQ bomb on "nex-gen" consoles.
One reason for why they may need to is they run the risk of a competitor buying them, causing them to lose access to Final Fantasy.

TwistedSyn

10 Jul 2022
Looks like marketing has official started for Spider Man 2. This is a commercial that was based in Australia.

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
GOTY of 2023 ❤️
This year is much more competitive than previous years. You are forgetting other titles as well

Spider Man 2
TLOU Factions (assuming it's this year, which so far points to yes)
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Hogwarts Legacy (doubt it though due to stupid politics)
Diablo 4
Starfield
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

I can see being nominated for GOTY.

Zelda will be tough to compete with imo. I personally think the Zelda is overrated, but Zelda is Zelda lol.

There could be plenty of other surprise that we have no clue of yet. Hopefully Sony cooked something more besides Spider Man 2 for the holidays. I personally want TLOU Factions the most from Sony this year.

For MS I am excited and skeptical of Starfield at same time. If they can pull of what they did with Skyrim it'll be a game to be talked about for years to come.

Diablo 4 is looking absolute fire and seems like it will bring back the Diablo roots. I know a ton of people who can't wait to play it badly, me included.

Whether you like Zelda or not you know damn well it will score very high as always. I personally didn't care for BotW. The weapon breaking pissed me off and turned me off from the game.

TLOU Factions has huge potential to come out of nowhere and surprise the fans and newcomers alike. Especially with all the TLOU hype from the show these days. I enjoyed the original MP mode from TLOU.