Playstation Studios [OT]: News, hype and rumors about PS Studios and Bungie

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I buy almost all of my games in physical discs still. Not fond of the rumors that it has a detachable drive.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
I buy almost all of my games in physical discs still. Not fond of the rumors that it has a detachable drive.
If the drive stops functioning it’s easier to replace. But it’s a rumor it could also be wrong. Doesn’t make much sense.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
It makes perfect sense from Sony's perspective. Simplify manufacturing, increase supply. Offer the customer the option to buy a disc drive later without having to pay upfront. Simplify repairs of failed drives.
Yes it makes sense for the slim but I am talking about the rumors and how some were contradictory.

Reactions: Deleted member 417

kyliethicc

Knack Ambassador
21 Jun 2022
D

Deleted member 417

Thinking it's contractually guaranteed as an "educated guess" is not the same thing as being factually contractually guaranteed. I think we can establish that since no one here can produce or has access to any of the Bungie/Sony acquisition agreements.

Gentleman agreements are always loophole rich - a form of corporate double speak.

Multiplatform can also = many different things. Multiplatform is literally > 1 single platform. There are 5 relevant platforms: PS, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, Mobile.

Multiplatform is true if > 1 platform.
Multiplatform is still true if only = 2 platforms.
Multiplatform is still true if only = 3 platforms.
Multiplatform is still true if only = 4 platforms.
Multiplatform doesn't necessarily have to be all 5 relevant platforms.

Platform exclusion exists within the multiplatform label.

You would think the MS acquisition saga would enlighten folks on this very topic of corporate double-speak and BS regarding multiplatformarity (yes I just made that term). "It will stay multiplatform and reach this many million new gamers" (while fucking PS 10 yrs down the line - initially 3).

I also have a hard time believing Sony will sign an acquisition agreement that has an stipulation that says Bungie can walk out and split from PS if Sony were to exercise executive control on such matters. It's not impossible but as an educated guess... big skepticism on that. If I were Sony's CEO I wouldn't allow Jimbo to acquire Bungie with such stipulation.... lets put it that way.
Very good point. Playstation 5 and Playstation VR2 are two separate platforms

• party
Reactions: KnittedKnight

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Sony needs to go all in on their next event, E3 2015/2016 style. Without shortages is time to turn up the hype to 11.

Short marketing windows suck, show us what is in store for the next couple of years, take control of the narrative.

Last edited:

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Sony needs to go all in on their next event, E3 2015/2016 style. Without shortages is time to turn up the hype to 11.

Short marketing windows suck, show us what is in store for the next couple of years, take control of the narrative.
Why?

They clearly don’t need any hype, they have the product and it’s flying off the shelves. No need for bullshit dog and pony shows. Leave that for the green team, I’ll take the steady flow of games over empty spectacle any day.

• they're_right_you_know

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why?

They clearly don’t need any hype, they have the product and it’s flying off the shelves. No need for bullshit dog and pony shows. Leave that for the green team, I’ll take the steady flow of games over empty spectacle any day.
Why not? To me early PS4 marketing up to when Sony left E3 was a lot more exciting than letting the media/new cycles be about FUD and rumors.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Opportunity cost.

Spending time and money putting on a show means other things that would be more worthwhile can’t happen.
Like what? Use the budget from all the boring State of Plays and go interview some devs about what they are working and find something worth showing.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Yes, waste the devs’ time as well as the marketing department! Great idea!
So to you the E3 shows we used to get were just a waste of time? State of Plays are a much bigger waste of time.

A longer window between announcement and release is a valid and if anything more proven strategy.