PlayStation: Xbox's Call of Duty offer was "inadequate on many levels"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernd Lauert

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I see the mass hallucination about Phil Spencer supposedly lying about something is going on here too. Wild.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
He didn't have to do anything, frankly it's unprofessional and none of his fucking business. His having a fit in public doesn't influence anything, these decisions happen realms beyond a bickering divisional President.

If I had to guess he already knows exactly where this is going, the approval is inevitable and is going scorched Earth because he's in every sense of the word butthurt. All of these companies and their views are already on record, this was just petty.

This is a personal vendetta against Xbox that not a single other competitor in the industry shares the views of Sony in. Their goal is to stifle competition and not be overtaken and they're saying and doing everything they can desperately trying to make that a reality.

As I said it's petty, it's also pathetic.

Nothing promotes competition like buying dozens of studios via the acquisition of two massive publishers.

ManPhlaps

Banned
19 Jul 2022
What a salt mine this thread is.

no one cares if you think Phil is a liar, very few people care that Jim thinks the offer was inadequate. Both you and him are powerless in this situation.

It's just business and the concept that one maker of a plastic box has more 'soul' than another is fucking lunacy, if you're that invested you need to take a good long hard look at yourself.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
as i said before,id been in gaming since the late seventies,i have seen the atari vs amiga,the spectrum vs the c64 or cpc,sega vs nintendo,but in all those years id never had seen a more miserable fanbase than the xbox one,its a mix up off all the disgracefull left behing garbage from other fandoms,(sega expats,pc master race idiots,etc) they dont give a fuck about gaming,and now is more clear than ever,they only talk about what its going to buy microsoft next,and they care about that because its weapon in their arsenal to use against sony or nintendo,they only talk about gamepass because as good idiots they have faith in a digital renting service that can do a permanent damage or the industry and only its working because microsoft have the deep pockets to sustain massive losses and do this scorched earth thing
phil spencer talks about how bad console wars is and still have shiteahds like greenberg and thousands of astroturfers on social media,sony or nintendo doesnt have anything remotely similar to xbox warmonger influencers and in south america or europe is way worse

i have every xbox console since launch,but fuck me if i no despise their fanbase

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
What a salt mine this thread is.

no one cares if you think Phil is a liar, very few people care that Jim thinks the offer was inadequate. Both you and him are powerless in this situation.

It's just business and the concept that one maker of a plastic box has more 'soul' than another is fucking lunacy, if you're that invested you need to take a good long hard look at yourself.
this kind of shit argument its what xbots love to do,"who cares about blabla" gtfo with your fake nihilism buddy

ManPhlaps

Banned
19 Jul 2022
this kind of shit argument its what xbots love to do,"who cares about blabla" gtfo with your fake nihilism buddy

Calling out the circle-jerking of overinvested fanboys isn't fake nihilism. I'd insert the 'you keep using that word' meme, but can't be arsed to go search for it.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If anybody remembers me from GAF they'd know my opinion is consistent. I'm against publisher acquisitions, I'm against timed exclusives for the sake of timed exclusives. Anything that consolidates the market should be viewed as a bad thing, not a good thing. Sony paying for timed exclusives time and again sucks balls for people on other platforms, and now Microsoft buying entire publishers is the biggest anti-consumer movement the gaming industry has ever seen.

The problem is that the same people that have no issues calling out the former seem to be more than ok with the later. We'll see what this does to the gaming industry, it's not like creating monopolies has ever worked against consumer interests, especially if said monopolies are by a company known for trying to actively monopolise markets they operate in. The same company that has been caught paying astroturfers (and likely pays the salaries of a couple three people commenting here).

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
If anybody remembers me from GAF they'd know my opinion is consistent. I'm against publisher acquisitions, I'm against timed exclusives for the sake of timed exclusives. Anything that consolidates the market should be viewed as a bad thing, not a good thing. Sony paying for timed exclusives time and again sucks balls for people on other platforms, and now Microsoft buying entire publishers is the biggest anti-consumer movement the gaming industry has ever seen.

The problem is that the same people that have no issues calling out the former seem to be more than ok with the later. We'll see what this does to the gaming industry, it's not like creating monopolies has ever worked against consumer interests, especially if said monopolies are by a company known for trying to actively monopolise markets they operate in. The same company that has been caught paying astroturfers (and likely pays the salaries of a couple three people commenting here).
Just need to highlight timed exclusives are part of the modus operandi for both Sony and MS. Someone listed a few MS timed exclusives here, Stalker comes to mind, previously The Medium etc.

Focus on Sony in this regard is likely that they cast the net wider with a more compelling deal to studios having the larger user base.

25 Jul 2022
Since Phil Spencer brought the matter of COD's future to the public, It's good to finally get a clear message of their true intent with the franchise.

Thanks Jim.

And that message is clear, MS don't plan to compete anymore. The past 20 years were spent doing that and they've had enough.

Healthy industry competition that benefits gamers, out the window.

Its hard call the deal anything but straight up anti-competitive on a consumer level and blatantly conceived to gain market-share only by weakening it's direct competitor by removing future games from the platform. Its the literal definition of 'Pay to Win' playing out right before our eyes.

Contrary to most opinions I'd be surprised if it gets approval as it stands. I know MS needs content but this deal crosses a line it just gives them too much control to harm other rivals.

Its also disappointing to see fans cheerleading the deal. Paper thin arguments trying to justify games being taken away from it's largest player base as a good thing. Why should years and years of incompetent studio management be rewarded with forcefully weakening it's competitor enough to succeed.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
These xbox fanboys don't care.

When have they ever cared about games? They didn't get shit for over 7 years now, and they are still sticking to Xbox. It's clear they don't care about games; they don't buy games; they don't play games.

They are more interested in a dick-measuring contest and trying to win against PlayStation -- not by bringing themself up but by bringing PlayStation down, not by creating more XGS content but by reducing content from PlayStation.

Why would they cheer the Activision or Bethesda acquisition otherwise. MS never had any hand in making those games. Why should they own them.
Preach.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jim had to come out and set the record straight, he had no choice because MS is basically using their “talk” with sony to say “see, we will work with the competition” to butter up regulators.
Jim being silent would aid ms in getting the acquisition passed because him being silent about phil’s offer would pretty much tell regulators that sie, xbox biggest competitor is ok with deal and acquisition.
Yes
frankly it's unprofessional and none of his fucking business.
No, unprofessional was what Phil did: to publicly mention their business talk with Sony which should remained confidential.

And even worse, Phil did that apparently bullshit contact basically to lie their investors, regulators and ABK customers, which is even worse making them sound as if they wanted to keep CoD multi to pass the regulations and close the acquisition when they wanted to turn it into exclusive.

Jim did what was needed: to be clear and mention that MS was lying regarding their plans for CoD and PS, and to clean Sony's name regarding the regulator investigations and the hypothetical future announcement of CoD going exclusive.

And Sony has the second biggest FPS franchise of the past decade 🤷‍♂️
Fun fact: Destiny has the record of the biggest selling (worldwide) new gaming IP ever.

Not of FPS, but of all genres. Not this gen, but of all gens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.