Project Q leaks

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Needs to connect instantly, not like current remote play doing its song and dance searching for your ps5 etc
it wont, its just an android tablet with a dualsense controller. It'll probably operate exactly the same as remote play on your phone.

Reactions: Shmunter

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
Same people said the dualsense edge was dead on arrival also for 200 dollars and its the best selling accessory of the year.
Actually the best counter argument made on the price subject.

Still, the competition is not anywhere near the same.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Needs to connect instantly, not like current remote play doing its song and dance searching for your ps5 etc
It uses remote play, so it's fair to assume that it will connect exactly like the current remote play

People asking for such prices are delusional 😄
I think it doesn't make sense to expect that something that is basically a Dualsense+tablet would be cheaper than a Dualsense.

Specially considering that since Dualsense gets bundled with the console, a ton of units get produced so they can sell it for a cheaper price. This will share many DS components, but will have different parts and its high price will make it something pretty niche.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Is this Wii U-like tech or WiFi. If it’s WiFi streaming… LOLs and I take back anything good I may have said if it’s WiFi.

A reverse Wii U however is fine. Utility is there for one tv and less “fortunate” households.

24 Jun 2022
Yeah, they simply just want people on the ps5 longer even when they can’t play it on tv, a lot of japanese consumers would love this

Yep, you'll be able to play in the bed too in a separate room that isn't too far and if there aren't huge walls in the middle.

So in the average Japanese house, which are pretty small and with very thin walls you'll be able to play in the whole house.

The issue with this in terms of appealing in Japan is, it's still tethered to local area network via Remote Play. It's not a device made for actual portability, natively or cloud-wise.

Most Japanese gamers are pretty mobile these days, and work hours for college-age youth are massive. This isn't something they can actually use on train rides to and from work the way the Switch is, and they may not have as much time to unwind and play at home once they get there. In that sense, this needed to be a genuine portable, or at least a portable PS4 system.

The scenario you guys are describing, won't do a lot for markets like Japan. Maybe here in America, though, it's a different story. But we'll have to see what it's fully capable of before determining that.

Same people said the dualsense edge was dead on arrival also for 200 dollars and its the best selling accessory of the year.

The Dualsense Edge has an immediately more noticeable market though: premium competitive game controllers. It's for people into competitive FPS, action, fighting, racing games etc. but may not want to splurge out for separate elite devices for just those games alone, while still wanting advantages in them on console. And the price is still pretty competitive within its market segment given the specs.

If you're saying this thing is going to be $299, for example, and it doesn't have a clearly defined market segment, then who does it really appeal to? Dualsense Edge competitive controller owners? How, when it has less buttons? Portable gamers? How, when it's stream-only with Remote Play? Mobile gamers? How, when it offers no mobile games (that we know of, so far)?

The closest thing to this is the Wii U controller, something even Nintendo said was not worth (for them) to release as a standalone peripheral. So I'm asking, what is it about Project Q, just looing at its own inherent value alone, that would make it work in the way sold-separately Wii U tablet controllers didn't seem could work for Nintendo?

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Tbh I think it's a mistake to do a tablet sized display. If I'm playing handheld i wanna be able to lay on my back in bed or on the couch and hold the screen above me like a phone. A big tablet is going to be tiresome to hold like that. Max size imo 6.4"×3.6" (16.0cm×9.0cm), that's enough for 1080p at around 300ppi

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Tbh I think it's a mistake to do a tablet sized display. If I'm playing handheld i wanna be able to lay on my back in bed or on the couch and hold the screen above me like a phone. A big tablet is going to be tiresome to hold like that. Max size imo 6.4"×3.6" (16.0cm×9.0cm), that's enough for 1080p at around 300ppi

I feel like if you wanted something smaller you’d just do the backbone with a phone. This feels more like product for people that still want want to experience all the flash of AAA gaming.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
it wont, its just an android tablet with a dualsense controller. It'll probably operate exactly the same as remote play on your phone.
This is the only thing I’m keeping an eye on. If they somehow managed to change how all this works then I’ll be happy to throw it into my pile of gadgets. If it’s no different to a phone like experience they can take a hike.

Reactions: JAHGamer
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The hate this thing is getting feels fabricated as fuck. Like, people can simply not buy, so why whine so much?

first-time-james-franco.gif

What was the last product of any kind SIE announced that didn’t get a bunch of whining and fud? Only product that managed to avoid it was the Access Controller for obvious reasons and its priced reasonably so no one could attack it from that angle lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The issue with this in terms of appealing in Japan is, it's still tethered to local area network via Remote Play. It's not a device made for actual portability, natively or cloud-wise.

Most Japanese gamers are pretty mobile these days, and work hours for college-age youth are massive. This isn't something they can actually use on train rides to and from work the way the Switch is, and they may not have as much time to unwind and play at home once they get there. In that sense, this needed to be a genuine portable, or at least a portable PS4 system.

The scenario you guys are describing, won't do a lot for markets like Japan. Maybe here in America, though, it's a different story. But we'll have to see what it's fully capable of before determining that.
It is not a portable console or a smartphone. It is a gamepad for a home console that has a screen.

Yes, like in the rest of the world Japanese play more on their phones than in home consoles and PCs. But they also play in game consoles or pcs.

Regarding Remote Play, it isn't limited to your LAN. You can use it outside too. But obviously the far you go and the worse internet you use between the device using remote play and the console where the game is running, the more degraded is going to be the streaming experience. So the best experience for remote play is going to be in your LAN relatively close to the console, and if possible wired instead of using wifi.

But well, at least the PS5 has wifi6. So using a wifi6 device to remote play and a wifi6 router should provide a very good wireless remote play experience if not too far and not with many or too huge walls in the middle. Being some meters away with a slim wall or two in the middle may not be an issue.

Something that Remote Play I think doesn't do is to stream directly from the console to the remote play device directly without using the router as bridge in the middle. If it's the case, I think they should add this option because depending on where is your router it would be better.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
God that looks soo bad. Defacto around the house only, even if it wasn't technically gimped without proper streaming/native play.

I just can't picture myself on crowded bus pulling that out and playing it in my lap.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Surprise some people don't see Sony's true attention.

They probably order a lot of Dualsense parts and probably want to get rid of those fast. They bundle it with PS5 in the shortage but there still a lot in inventory so they come up with this to well, clear stock. Dualsense Pro is another one of those.

Also they want to test the water to see if market demand handheld devices altogether. If this Q shit bombs, which it certainly will, they got a good excuse to basically not make a handheld altogether in front of shareholders.