PS5 hits 61m as Sony’s year-on-year Q1 hardware sales fall but operating income rises

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
It's hard for sony to cut ps5 price cuz the economy is so shit and the world is on the verge of world war 3
Hopefully things will calm down soon 🙏
they won't, in fact, they'll get even worse, that's why i'm concerned about PS6, if PS5 came costing $500 in 2020, PS6 won't come at this price in 2028, and then what's gonna be the advantage of PS6? exclusives surely won't be one.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Cloud Gaming will be an even bigger threat to PS Consoles in the next 10 years, cause it doesn't require you to purchase hardware, only requires you to pay a monthly subscription of PS Plus Premium and that's where we'll start seeing the transition, it won't be instant tho, probably 15 years ahead, but i can still see a PS7 selling at least 50M lifetime.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
not necessarily, a Steam Deck is $399 and 90% of the games Sony released on PC so far are Steam Deck Verified, meaning, they're optmized for Steam Deck, and Steam will for sure launch more iterations of their hardware, so, again, i see all of this as potential threats for the future.

The Deck is a whole gen behind the PS5 and it can only run verified games reliably without getting into issues/tinkering. It's a niche product aimed at PC gamers who want a portable option.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
All it needs is a price drop and for games like COD/Fifa/2k/Madden to drop last gen support.
COD won't drop PS4 support... they'll develop for Switch 2 moving forward which is basicaly a PS4 in power perspective, they'll simply port the Switch 2 version to PS4 and continue to sell the game there, FIFA, 2K and Madden will probably follow the same path, they'll want the base of Switch 2 and will have a more limited version for Switch 2 that can easily be ported to PS4, the only game that will move units is GTA 6, but this is a game you have every 10 years

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
and PS5 is $500 in 2024, it just shows how consoles are no longer the cheap way to play games they used to be, this is dangerous because if not for price, the only advantage consoles have are the exclusives and PlayStation doesn't truly have exclusives anymore, so if we find ourselfs in an inflationated $600/$650 PS6 generation, the sales can be very much impacted with users staying on PS5, just like right now, half of MAU users for PlayStation are still on PS4.

That was my point.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
COD won't drop PS4 support... they'll develop for Switch 2 moving forward which is basicaly a PS4 in power perspective, they'll simply port the Switch 2 version to PS4 and continue to sell the game there, FIFA, 2K and Madden will probably follow the same path, they'll want the base of Switch 2 and will have a more limited version for Switch 2 that can easily be ported to PS4, the only game that will move units is GTA 6, but this is a game you have every 10 years

But those are the main issues. PC ports and exclusives don't mean anything to the casual market.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
Cut the crap with logic sense
did i lie in anything? Concord and Helldivers 2 won't require you to spend a single cent on PC to play on the same servers we console users pay to use, the same applies for Ghost Of Tsushima and its multiplayer mode, once GT7 gets ported, not only it'll have PSVR2 support but also won't require you to pay a subscription for its multiplayer mode, this makes PC a more desirable place to be, you save $80 every year on Online Play, Singleplayer games are coming cheaper on PC, with more quality and features and unlimited resolution and frame-rates, meaning you won't have to spend $10 to upgrade next gen version on the next console

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
fM5DCKh.jpeg

I completely agree with him

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
But those are the main issues. PC ports and exclusives don't mean anything to the casual market.
Casuals will easily move to Cloud once it's actually a good way to play videogames in the next 15 years, Hardcore users are way more valuable and loyal

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
fM5DCKh.jpeg

Except he talks without context and just compares some numbers. It's COMPLETELY idiotic to compare products with a price difference of $200 AND supply issues for the first 2 years of release. Utterly idiotic.

Again with the Switch narrative. Some of you are in for a rude awakening when Switch 2 doesn't do nearly as well as the first one.

Reactions: ethomaz

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
did i lie in anything? Concord and Helldivers 2 won't require you to spend a single cent on PC to play on the same servers we console users pay to use, the same applies for Ghost Of Tsushima and its multiplayer mode, once GT7 gets ported, not only it'll have PSVR2 support but also won't require you to pay a subscription for its multiplayer mode, this makes PC a more desirable place to be, you save $80 every year on Online Play, Singleplayer games are coming cheaper on PC, with more quality and features and unlimited resolution and frame-rates, meaning you won't have to spent $10 to upgrade next gen version on the next console

As long as GPU's cost as much as a console, PC won't be a desirable option to the mass market. If people aren't ready to pay 500 for a current gen console, they sure as hell won't pay it for a single component.

More quality is debatable. The Visions of Mana demo is the most recent example of another bad PC port with shader issues.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
fM5DCKh.jpeg

like i said, once PC is not enough for them, they'll port games to Switch 2, they're already starting to do that with LEGO games on the 2017 Switch... with Switch 2 being as powerful as a PS4 i can easily see them porting Horizon Zero Dawn, Forbidden West, God Of War 2018, God Of War Ragnarok... all the PS4 backlog... and then some people will use the excuse "oh, but these are old games, no one cares about them", watch it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
It's easy to check online what $299.99 in 2017 is worth today, comes to about $381 dollars.

Wondering how you calculated the inflation to equal $500 today.
It would change a bit depending on things like the month you start and stop counting but yes, it's about $381 and not $500.

As an example in this random converter (first one that I saw on Google) that counts it per year instead of per month says $384.50.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
As long as GPU's cost as much as a console, PC won't be a desirable option to the mass market. If people aren't ready to pay 500 for a current gen console, they sure as hell won't pay it for a single component.

More quality is debatable. The Visions of Mana demo is the most recent example of another bad PC port with shader issues.
the problem is losing the hardcore audience, i never even once mentioned casuals here, they'll go where it's cheaper and where their friends are, but in some cases, price may not be everything, just look at Xbox with a $299 box that can run everything current gen, once you turn your product into an undesirable one, even casuals can go away, i believe casuals will go to Cloud once we have 10GB internet speeds that run Cloud Gaming as great as the hardware, that's why the hardcore audience is so important, but i understand your view tho.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
Casuals will easily move to Cloud once it's actually a good way to play videogames in the next 15 years, Hardcore users are way more valuable and loyal

When Cloud becomes good enough for gaming, everyone will shift. At that point a console will be just a streaming stick with its own dedicated market place.

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
When Cloud becomes good enough for gaming, everyone will shift. At that point a console will be just a streaming stick with its own dedicated market place.
disagree, native play will always exist, specially because the blades that run these games are console blades