PS5 hits 61m as Sony’s year-on-year Q1 hardware sales fall but operating income rises

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Eh, it depends.

If you want the cheapest PS5 today ($450 Digital) and you pay for the most basic PS+ ($80/year) through to PS6, you're spending $450 (plus tax) + $240 = $690 in totality for just the hardware and online play for non-F2P games.

Now let's also consider a lot of people who'd be buying a PS5 at this point don't care that much about performance, i.e they don't need every game to be top-of-the-line PS5 level performance. They just want something that's "good enough". Meaning, if that player were to consider a PC, they wouldn't need something equivalent to a PS5: they'd be fine with something a bit lower-spec.

That type of gamer could probably find a PC just around or a bit below PS5 spec (it could be a case-by-case depending on the game) for $700 or less. Meaning for the performance that's "good enough" to them, they'd be paying generally equal to a PS5 and getting all the necessary features like online gaming included in the package. The pay for PS+ combined with generally higher game prices really starts to cancel out price savings for the prospective PS5 purchaser compared to a PC.

I don't get where the idea that all or even most PC gamers need top-of-the-line or beefy gaming rigs to game, but even Steam surveys should show you that a lot of PC gamers are fine with modest or lower-end specs for AAA gaming. And those are probably a part of the group who'd be the ones looking to buy a console at this stage in the lifecycle.

PS Plus isn’t mandatory and honestly ridiculous to put into costs.

Why not include Microsoft Windows software cost too?

Heck why stop there? Put electricity costs into the argument too lol.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me
24 Jun 2022
The average Joe mainly looks at up front cost. When a new entry lvl GPU costs as much as a Switch and a midrange GPU as much as a PS5 slim, he'll most likely pick the console. If he doesn't care about performance, he can get a PS4 pro for 200€ and still play pretty much everything bar the biggest AAA titles.

The "average Joe" isn't going to find new PS4 Pros at $200 because Sony stopped manufacturing new units years ago.

Also at this point the "average Joe" who buys into a console in the latter part of the lifecycle, doesn't play many AAA games and the ones they do play (like a COD or Madden), it doesn't matter to them if one version's got less pixels or 1-2 FPS less framerate.

These people literally don't care about having the highest performance, just something that's "good enough" while also being affordable.

PS Plus isn’t mandatory and honestly ridiculous to put into costs.

Why not include Microsoft Windows software cost too?

Heck why stop there? Put electricity costs into the argument too lol.

Windows keys are very cheap if you know where to look. Plus if you already bought a system with a valid key, you can upgrade to a new Windows free of charge. I still have that option for my laptop, but I refuse to move to Windows 11.

Just to give an idea; activation keys for Windows can be had for like $20, sometimes even cheaper. That's for systems that already have Windows installed on them, just not activated. I dunno if buying the program itself is going to cost something extra but most PC gamers have pre-built OEMs that have Windows installed already (and usually, activated).

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Crying Ryan's at it again. I think he's still dramatized by the Phil Spencer IGN Live interview. First off, Series S is and has been the cheapest of all the consoles and it hasn't help Xbox hardware one bit from being rescued from its continued collapse. $299 Series S is being outsold by a $500 PS5. Xbox hardware is getting obliterated by PS5 and doesn't Ryan know what will happen even more if Sony does do a permanent price drop on PS5?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Windows keys are very cheap if you know where to look. Plus if you already bought a system with a valid key, you can upgrade to a new Windows free of charge. I still have that option for my laptop, but I refuse to move to Windows 11.

Just to give an idea; activation keys for Windows can be had for like $20, sometimes even cheaper. That's for systems that already have Windows installed on them, just not activated. I dunno if buying the program itself is going to cost something extra but most PC gamers have pre-built OEMs that have Windows installed already (and usually, activated).

Not the point.

You can get PS Plus cheap too.

Why include something which is optional and not include something which is mandatory?

Let’s include yearly electricity costs too while we are at it.

Or even Keyboard and Mouse costs.

Heck the Television/Monitor.

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024
The "average Joe" isn't going to find new PS4 Pros at $200 because Sony stopped manufacturing new units years ago.

Also at this point the "average Joe" who buys into a console in the latter part of the lifecycle, doesn't play many AAA games and the ones they do play (like a COD or Madden), it doesn't matter to them if one version's got less pixels or 1-2 FPS less framerate.

These people literally don't care about having the highest performance, just something that's "good enough" while also being affordable.

That's my point.

Buying a console is cheaper than building a PC, especially if you only want to play the annual crap.

These people can find a used PS4 on Ebay for 120€ and still play the newest COD/Fifa/Madden, no PC can match that price.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

SuperPotato

1 Mar 2024

PS plus is cheap too, if you know where to look. I can get a one year sub for 40€.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024

Worldwide PlayStation®5 Hardware Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: millions)​

Q1
(April – June)
Q2
(July – September)
Q3
(October – December)
Q4
(January – March)
FY
(April – March)
FY20204.53.37.8
FY20212.33.33.92.011.5
FY20222.43.37.16.319.1
FY20233.34.98.24.520.8
FY20242.4

Worldwide PlayStation®4 Hardware Unit Sales (Sell-in / Unit: millions)​

Q1
(April – June)
Q2
(July – September)
Q3
(October – December)
Q4
(January – March)
FY
(April – March)
FY20134.53.17.6
FY20142.83.46.42.314.8
FY20152.94.08.42.417.7
FY20163.53.99.72.920.0

Source: https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/

If you look at the TOTAL sales you can see 2021 is the reason PS5 is trailing behind, it's only the post launch year of PS4 that is ahead (2021 vs 2014 has a gap of 3,3 million) when PS5 was having severe supply & logistic issues for over 2 years. Every OTHER year PS5 has sold more than PS4.

YoY Q1 is down, but in line with the other years. Profit margin increased (entirety of Sony as well) which Totoki and co were pursuing and it's double digit relative fast. PS5 crossed 60 million in 3,5 years. If they hit the pace of Q3 7-8 million they are near 70mill and there is a PS5 Pro to boost the hardware sales. Let alone GTA6 & the 2nd half slate of PS studios like Wolverine & Ghost 2 and others.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
Days Gone
Ghost Of Tsushima
God Of War
Spider-Man
TLOU P2

All theses games was released after the PS4 achieved a 63.4M.

Sorry but the price was a major factor for her success.

A console that costs 299 can be sold more easily than a console costing 499.

Those games were announced BEFORE those sales. Which is the point of having exclusive games and announcing them with fanfare to get people to buy PS4. Having conferences and events like PSX help sell PS4’s too. God of War E3 reveal probably sold millions of PS4’s that year.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: JAHGamer

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Steam Deck isn't more or less on par with the standard PS4. It's mostly just more than the PS4.
RDNA2 is a whole lot more performant per TFLOP than GCN2, 4xZen2 at 3.5GHz is worlds above 8xJaguar at 1.6GHz and there's twice the RAM amount.
It only really loses in pixel filtrate and memory bandwidth, but that's because the PS4 was made for 2MPix output whereas the Deck is made for 1MPix.

Regardless, the point is these consoles do rasterization (mostly), so performance scales with target resolution and it doesn't make much sense to compare consoles with very different target resolutions (and screen sizes) in mind, specifically handhelds vs home consoles.

That said, the Steam Deck can do a lot more at 1MPix output than the PS4 can do at 2MPix. Looking at GPU metrics alone and without counting on RDNA2's gigantic IPC advantage over GCN, the Deck has 1.6 TFLOPs per rasterized MPix whereas the PS4 has 0.9 TFLOPs. For its 8MPix target, the PS5 has 1.3 TFLOPs per rasterized MPix.

TLDR: the Deck is very much a console of the same generation as the PS5 and Series X and is capable of doing the same work-per-pixel as the bigger consoles. It's clearly not a generation behind unless you're trying to plug it into a 1080p/4K TV.
That is actually not true.

Steam Deck GPU capabilities are inferior to PS4… so do the memory system.

There is enough tears already that showed that Steam Deck can indeed do the same graphic quality as PS4 but at 800p.

If you try to go at 1080p then you will have to have lower quality settings than PS4.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022

images

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023

Of course he just has to throw in Xbox to make it "look" like hardware is fine over there, but the rest is spot on.

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022

Of course he just has to throw in Xbox to make it "look" like hardware is fine over there, but the rest is spot on.

Now the industry is doing fine when Xbox gets a little extra sales because of Football 25. All this time he was dragging the industry down making excuses for MS because Xbox is selling nothing of worth. Trying to put PS5 with XB market troubles.

This guy is full of complete shit.

Reactions: laynelane and Puff

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Finally. It took laying off hundreds to finally get this looking right which is unfortunate. The back office restructure was overdue. This would be the famous overlap Yurinka speaks of.

All those Destiny spin-offs sounded like trash to me. That was Luke Smith’s show and with him gone and focus strictly on Destiny and Marathon is the right course correction tbh. Those laid off to get there should’ve been unavoidable but the amount of spin-offs incubated w/ destiny money instead of being invested to actual promising projects is just wasteful as shit.

Considering most actual bungie fans would rather see them reinvest in Destiny than even Marathon… it’s very awesome to see continued commitment to D2. I’m actually optimistic about the future of the game following the reshuffle. I do believe Sony has helped course correct.

Reactions: Yurinka

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023
Almost as bad as the dooming. 😉

Lol. Precisely that. Check this out :

there isn't and never has been any "dooming" on this site. "Doom and gloom" = valid criticism

Yeah, sure

No one cares, PS5 has almost no exclusives left. As soon as PS5 Pro comes out, there will be countless content creators and news outlets showing games running far better on a PC that isn't much more expensive. While highlighting other benefits like free online to play the same 1st party games on the same servers, 1st party games being cheaper, and that 1st party ports will come sooner and eventually be day/date. Which is already happening with Lego Horizon.

The only reason to get a PS5 Pro is to play GTA 6 better and that's sad.

I never complain, Xbox is trash, and I already have a PC.

And as I said, whether I buy one or not doesn't change the fact that PlayStation is in trouble. And Etifilio is one of the best posters on this site and one of the few good guys left...so show some respect.

Yeah, sure you aren't doom posting