PS5 Pro: Colin Moriarty says a 3rd party publisher was recently given a presentation for the pro, 1st & 2nd-parties have specs. Do we really need it?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
No! Because I still don't feel they have delivered enough next gen only games to justify why we need a PS5 Pro.

Has the PS5 truly been flexed? No!

Sony doesn't even have any next gen exclusives to launch alongside it... Just a grift at this point.

Just wait till GTAVI at least maybe they can justify it then.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
It's not needed but it's a nice option to have for people that want to spend more and get a better console hardware.

If you had a regular PS4 the release of PS4 Pro didn't negatively affected you in any way last gen. Hopefully the same is going to be true this gen for the PS5 Pro.

It's not needed, and it's a really bad idea.
The irony, that a PC player would say this....

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
I think if you want to have better hardware that allows for better Rt and upscaling without waiting another 3-4 years for a Ps6 then yes. First party will make the most of the extra power no doubt, third party are always hit or miss, Cyberpunk for example isnt that great rt wise on console compared to the pc version and Alan Wake 2 runs at a low res in performance mode and lacks rt in quality mode on consoles. Re4 remake was great but had a soft image in the performance mode. Tk8 looks run and great on Ps5. All I know is that games will continue becoming more demanding and Rdna2 was never great at Ray Tracing. Though I do think that a lot of the time its the developpers fault for not taking the time to optimise the Ps5 version and fix the image quality or other issues .

• thinking_hard
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The irony, that a PC player would say this....
A more powerful console threatens his PC masterrace status, being more powerful than the vast majority of Steam users' PCs.

But no, I don't think it's needed. This is the first generation where I felt that 3 years in we haven't even started the gen, because most developers are still messing about with cross gen and we haven't reached the full potential of these consoles.

Sure, more FPS and a higher resolution are all nice but there I don't feel like we got everything we can out of these consoles.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Day 1.
If you dont want it, it wouldnt effect you, dont buy it.
Sony makes a bit of money but its great for fans who want more. Win win

• thisistheway
Reactions: xollowsob

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's not needed, and it's a really bad idea.
Why would it be a bad idea?

The last pro got 1st party developers use to making Resolution/Performance modes. Gave players a better quality version of games. Horizon, GOW 2018, Dark Soul 3, Sekiro all ran better with just the extra fps.

And Sony didnt lose any money with it. No1 lost

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Day 1.
It's Sony teaching their audience that there's gonna be a pro so you'd be a fool to buy the launch hardware. You won't miss out on anything because it'll all come to the last console in a 4 year long cross-gen window. Just skip launch and get on the Pro upgrade cycle.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Day 1.
I don’t think having a PS5 Pro won’t affect development for PS5.

In a lesser or more extende it always affect when you have another SKU.

But I already lost that battle with PS4 Pro where Sony promised “same framerate experience with better visuals across SKUs” and failed… they basically fucked fair ecosystem playfield with PS4 Pro.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
It's Sony teaching their audience that there's gonna be a pro so you'd be a fool to buy the launch hardware. You won't miss out on anything because it'll all come to the last console in a 4 year long cross-gen window. Just skip launch and get on the Pro upgrade cycle.

Maybe. And it isnt as needed as before as most games come with a 60fps/resolution mode option now.
But the slim didnt condition people/cheaper models and thats been happening since PS1. I dont think it effects the hardcore fans, because they wont wait, and casuals probably dont even know. It probably only effects a very small percentage

Im all for it and cant wait. FF7 is on my backlog as Im away till May/June. When I get back i have to finish Elden Ring, Baldurs Gate 3, GT7, TOTK, Pikmin 4, Triangle Strategy, ROR and I have HellDivers so I might wait till PS5 Pro for FF7R

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I don’t think having a PS5 Pro won’t affect development for PS5.

In a lesser or more extende it always affect when you have another SKU.

But I already lost that battle with PS4 Pro where Sony promised “same framerate experience with better visuals across SKUs” and failed… they basically fucked fair ecosystem playfield with PS4 Pro.
I loved PS4 Pro. The experience upgrade for GOW and Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts 3, Horizon etc was well worth it

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I loved PS4 Pro. The experience upgrade for GOW and Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts 3, Horizon etc was well worth it
I still use my pro even though I have 2 ps5s in the house. I really liked it. It's my living room media center now.

• Shake
Reactions: Kokoloko

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
So okay, maybe we don't get native 4K 60FPS with ray traced visuals but do we really need it when we have these kind of examples?
The normies love graphics. Devs, pubs and the industry in general prefer to sell graphics over everything else.

It's why 4k gaming was such a push, even though it's almost entirely unnecessary.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Also Colin acted like a right idiot when PS4 Pro got announced. What is it? Whats it for? Like what the fuck do you mean? Its pretty simple what its for….
Then when the Xbox1X came out he was praising it.

Seriously some game journalists, management and some devs can be pretty retarded. Trust me Ive sat in the room discussing ideas with certain devs and managers in QnA and its like how the fuck did you get this job, you really can cant come up with better/new…

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And yet saying that first party games day one on PC is detrimental to their console sales is some sort of heresy. You're a joke.

Reactions: Gediminas

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
FFVII Rebirth either runs at a terrible frame rate or looks like smeared Vaseline so yes, we do need a PS5 Pro
Square Enix devs choose these visuals… not PS5 fault here.

They will fix it btw.

It is the always release asap to fix later.
As day 1 buyer of most titles that really makes me mad… having to wait weeks to have what the game could be at launch 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Gamernyc78