PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
By the time this console releases the GPU housed in that system would be considered low end, it's mid-range currently and the CPU as you noted was low end even in 2020 when new.

I get why you're not sharing in the excitement. It will help with more demanding rendering over the base for sure, but it's very much meh in general.
You guys want high end specs build a bloody pc there's a reason consoles are cheaper

Reactions: Sircaw

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
By the time this console releases the GPU housed in that system would be considered low end, it's mid-range currently and the CPU as you noted was low end even in 2020 when new.

I get why you're not sharing in the excitement. It will help with more demanding rendering over the base for sure, but it's very much meh in general.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking hilarious how they are already outdated by the time they release. It's no surprise that it only took 2 years in the gen before these machines are crippled by current-gen games. Nobody builds a PC with an un-balanced CPU and GPU except for idiots but damn these companies, they gotta cut costs, they gotta save money, they gotta fucking find gimmicks and marketing buzzwords to attract people.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Yeah, it's pretty fucking hilarious how they are already outdated by the time they release. It's no surprise that it only took 2 years in the gen before these machines are crippled by current-gen games. Nobody builds a PC with an un-balanced CPU and GPU except for idiots but damn these companies, they gotta cut costs, they gotta save money, they gotta fucking find gimmicks and marketing buzzwords to attract people.
'they gotta cut costs' yeah no shit shirlock console gamers don't want to pay £1000 + on hardware

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I would find the kind of specs that are well-balanced and impressive not tiring. So a better CPU and a much stronger GPU (by the time PS5 Pro releases, its GPU would be worse than what AMD and Nvidia have to offer at mid-range). I guess you can say I expected too much, but then that is just my preference for what the optional Pro version should be like. I also learned from the last few days that the PS5 CPU is worse than a fucking r5 3600, which is an entry-level CPU that I built for my first PC and it was a budget build lmao.
You cannot compare PC specs with Console specs 1:1 and expect accuracy. For example, in your regular computer the CPU has to aid with decompression tasks, audio decoding, a myriad of OS operations not present on consoles, etc. On one of the current gen consoles a lot of these tasks are offloaded to bespoke chips, freeing up CPU cycles. So that's one.

As for the GPU, there's a few things to consider, at least on Playstation, from the SDK which allows for closer-to-hardware programming as the APIs are dedicated to a single piece of hardware (one of the many reasons to be against PC ports that compromise that kind of development), as well as additional customisations that allow for higher efficiency.

There's a reason why in certain games you see a PS5 battling with an RTX3060Ti and even surpassing them.

Yet they aren't crippled by current gen games, and plenty of people buy PCs with unbalanced CPUs and GPUs, for more reasons than one. Just look at HFW, one of the better looking games ever released, and see that the PC does not do much more than a PS5 despite allowing for "higher settings". Same can be said about R&C, and I won't even talk about SM2, a game that has probably the best implementation of Ray Tracing on consoles with fidelity not possible in comparable cards on PC (this will be fully exposed once the game unfortunately releases on the platform)

As for money saving, yes, they have to provide you with a box that costs 500 quid and includes a full APU capable of playing games at high quality.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
I've posted that survey so many times lol PC gamers rarely even play with 4K. Don't bother we all know already most PC gamers play on rigs worse than PS5 😂😂
Like seriously, the rigs the most have might be as well be toasters as a side job in the winter lol like you said PS5 is above the median even today, and high end especially in terms of I/O solution. PS5 Pro once released will be high end and enthusiast class mixture.

rinzler

Banned
12 Mar 2024
Low end? I will never tire from pointing you pcmasterrace guys to steam PC survey!
Low end relative to modern GPU's? Yes. A 7700 XT is middle of the road right now in its respective generation of hardware. When a new generation of GPU's launch (not far off) that will fall to the back end of the scale.

ApolloHelios

2 Jul 2022
Low end relative to modern GPU's? Yes. A 7700 XT is middle of the road right now in its respective generation of hardware. When a new generation of GPU's launch (not far off) that will fall to the back end of the scale.
Ignored

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
Low end? I will never tire from pointing you pcmasterrace guys to steam PC survey!
It actually is higher now, at least on the GPU side.
I can confirm this by entering my hotrod and laptop into the survey.
RTX 3060 is the most used.
FINALLY moving past the 1070.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Low end relative to modern GPU's? Yes. A 7700 XT is middle of the road right now in its respective generation of hardware.

All things point to the GPU being between a 7700XT and 7800XT in rasterization, but with 2x higher performance in raytracing from RDNA4 optimizations, and an upscaling tech that is close to DLSS.

Sum all of these and the result is a GPU that performs like a RTX4070 in rasterization, raytracing and upscaling. And has more memory available.

The RTX4070 costs at least $525 in the USA, and 540€ in Europe. This is not low end by any stretch of the imagination.
Nvidia would very much like for >$500 to be low-end, but it's not.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
@ToTTenTranz going back to our conversation the other day, leaks also did suggest that Navi 32 has 3 Shader Engines and a maximum CU count of 60:

And more information here.

Assuming the PS5 uses this GCD, do you think they will disable 1, 2, or 3WGP? My bet is at 3, 1 per SE.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
I would find the kind of specs that are well-balanced and impressive not tiring. So a better CPU and a much stronger GPU
Balanced, lol. That's was Goosen, Penello and co's favourite phrase at the start of the last gen. "How is it that a 400 HP Porsche can be faster than a 700 HP Corvette?" said good old 30% Penello.

Comparing what can be done with an APU vs. discrete PC components is utter fucking nonsense. Wanting more CPU and more GPU than the leaks suggest doubly so. The real "balance" is how much die space you burn producing a device that does the most to meet the demands of a mid-gen unit playing the exact same games as the base machine.

ps5 Pro will do the job it was designed for - to better present ps5 games with more quality than the 4 year old original. The very same job the ps4 Pro did when it released at the generation's mid-point offering slightly bumped specs and bespoke hardware to help offer more bang for buck.

This tiring shit is self-inflicted. You are demanding next-gen specs from a mid-gen refresh which isn't practical, sensible or realistic, and ignoring the amazing and exciting introduction or PSSR and what it might offer because... well, why?

Where's the value in being grumpy or down about paper specs not meeting imaginary, unrealistic goals? Ask Phil Spencer about just how valuable paper spec are in the real world. You clearly want a new gen not a refresh... only by then it still won't be enough for all the same reasons because you're comparing APU-based hardware with far more expensive discrete components elsewhere for reasons. Only solution is bite the bullet and go all-in on the glorious pc gaming master-race(to give it its full title), then you can upgrade yearly and it's all on you and your wallet to provide the happiness true balance offers. Although, you'll discover a completely different brand of tiring when you're left constantly fiddling with settings, updating drivers and wondering why your game is stuttering instead of just switching on and playing games.

Personally I don't see how an example of taking a base ps5 quality mode game running at 30fps and having the new machine offer the same levels of IQ but at 60fps can be seen as being anything other than fantastic from a mid-gen box. What's a better CPU to the detriment of less GPU/AI/ML die space going to offer there? 100% improvement is tiring? Meh.

You do you though. Alex from DF can't see past paper specs and viewing things purely in terms of PC and discrete components, so I don't expect mere gamers to be able to. A PC tech enthusiast who spends his life facing off the very best cutting edge technologies against each other while trying to make sense of them is only going to know how to view anything through that one lens, but there's no reason why Joe Shmoe should inflict the same fate on themselves.

xbox twitter is revelling in a similar kind of self-inflicted doom, being unable to enjoy what they have without worrying about what's going on elsewhere and getting all limp-dick about it. Personally I'm looking forward to see how the improvements pan out in actual gameplay, but more than that, to seeing and discussing how PSSR evolves, introduces frame gen and who knows what else as we get ready for ps6.

All things point to the GPU being between a 7700XT and 7800XT in rasterization, but with 2x higher performance in raytracing from RDNA4 optimizations, and an upscaling tech that is close to DLSS.
I can see why people want "more" and bigger numbers, but it's unreasonable to expect that from mid-gen. If people can't get excited by what that suggests for such a machine then sucks to be them I guess.

• fire
Reactions: anonpuffs

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
@ToTTenTranz going back to our conversation the other day, leaks also did suggest that Navi 32 has 3 Shader Engines and a maximum CU count of 60:

Perhaps it is like they say, I just haven't seen anything pointing to that. It could be that the linux patches do tell the number of shader engines and that's where they took that WGPs-per-shader-engine spec.

Assuming the PS5 uses this GCD, do you think they will disable 1, 2, or 3WGP? My bet is at 3, 1 per SE.

The N6 process is pretty mature so I doubt they'd need to do more than 2 areas of redundancy. My guess is even 2 is too much and they could do with just one disabled WGP, but I read somewhere RDNA doesn't work well with an uneven number of WGPs.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
Perhaps it is like they say, I just haven't seen anything pointing to that. It could be that the linux patches do tell the number of shader engines and that's where they took that WGPs-per-shader-engine spec.

The N6 process is pretty mature so I doubt they'd need to do more than 2 areas of redundancy. My guess is even 2 is too much and they could do with just one disabled WGP, but I read somewhere RDNA doesn't work well with an uneven number of WGPs.

In that case I can see this being a 2.3Ghz GPU with 56 active CU, or a custom 32WGP (with 2 disabled) GPU at 2.18Ghz

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
In that case I can see this being a 2.3Ghz GPU with 56 active CU, or a custom 32WGP (with 2 disabled) GPU at 2.18Ghz
It's 30 WGP active out of 32, that much has been confirmed from many sources (Kepler, Tom Henderson, etc.).
The number of active WGPs / CUs appear in the linux patches.

What we don't know are the clocks. 33.5 TFLOPs point to 2.18GHz, but the 300 TOPs point to 2.45GHz.

These are probably some "safe" numbers they can disclose before production units are out there. It would by highly irregular if the new GPU had lower clocks than the PS5. Unpatched games could actually run slower on the Pro in compatibility mode, and I don't think Sony would want that.

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
It's 30 WGP active out of 32, that much has been confirmed from many sources (Kepler, Tom Henderson, etc.).
The number of active WGPs / CUs appear in the linux patches.

What we don't know are the clocks. 33.5 TFLOPs point to 2.18GHz, but the 300 TOPs point to 2.45GHz.

These are probably some "safe" numbers they can disclose before production units are out there. It would by highly irregular if the new GPU had lower clocks than the PS5. Unpatched games could actually run slower on the Pro in compatibility mode, and I don't think Sony would want that.

The PS5 also had 9.2TF per many sources, until it didn't. Those betting on a custom card when there's no RDNA3 Navi with 32WGP will be disappointed.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't get your point, for many years any non ancient 6 core CPUs has been able to play the vast majority of games at 60fps. To compare CPU people use 1080p and low settings and create extremely unrealistic scenarios.
If you play at native 4K just pretty much all recent games are CPU bound.