PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
This was posted over on gaf, snarky response from DF, but also a bit of early damage control so they don't look like clowns if it does end up being 60fps.

o0Xk5xO.jpg

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
there is absolutely no doubt that the game will have 60fps mode. non.
You have too much faith in R*

I expect it to be unoptimised slop that runs like shit even on the very capable hardware of PS5.

I wonder if that's why there's no PC version at launch? It needs optimising otherwise only 1% of rigs will run it?

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Hmm from what I read Apple, Nvidia have priorities in 3nm TMSC due to their volumn. AMD may get some distribution thanks to volumn.

But I highly doubt we gonna get a new machine from N3 TSMC all the way until 2027. By then new node would need some thing more advanced that FINFet, which gonna be more expensive. Generatational gain cannot be achieved until 2028 or even 2029 I reckoned.
80nm ->28nm, 28nm -> 7nm, 7nm -> "1nm"

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
The PS5 also had 9.2TF per many sources, until it didn't. Those betting on a custom card when there's no RDNA3 Navi with 32WGP will be disappointed.
The 9.2 TF number came from the Github leak, and the number was calculated for a base clock of 2GHz on the GPU which appeared on some of their tests. The same leak also had 18 WGP mentioned.

The leak was correct. People (Digital Foundry included) just failed to understand that those were base clock numbers for pre-production SDKs. Boost numbers were only set after the first production units came out of the factory and they could see how far up they could clock the GPU.

IIRC there were also tests for 18Gbps GDDR6 effective bandwidth in that leak, probably because Sony wanted to see how much they would gain if they used more expensive memory.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Games are generally bound by single threaded cpu performance.
Games are very rarely CPU bound by Zen2's single threaded performance below 60 FPS.

In the very rare cases that they are, it's always an optimization problem and not a hardware limitation problem.

The problem was DigitalFoundry assuming from the get go that the PS5's 8-core Zen2 isn't capable of running the game at 60FPS "because it simulates a city".

Well yes it simulates a city... and so does GTA V which also runs at 60FPS on the PS5. And so does Watch Dogs Legion that actually tracks a whole activity schedule for every damn NPC that you encounter in the game.

It's not like "simulating a city" is something new or extraordinary for a modern CPU.

It looks like they base all their "knowledge" of console CPU performance on Baldur's Gate in Act 3 and Gotham Knights, conveniently forgetting that these are outliers for bad optimization and there are loads of GTA-esque games doing 60FPS on the PS5 and SeriesX.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
PS4 Pro have a performance gain of 60-70% percentage over PS4 for like 33% more.
Translated to performance mode that is like 45-50 FPS over 30 and on fidelity that is 1440p CBR to 4K with improvements to fidelity.

I think PS5 Pro could achieve more consider base performance gain 45%, not taken account the new ML upscaling solution and big gain in Ray Tracing. I think probably we will see more than 100% performance gain with ML upscaling and improvement in Ray Tracing.

Reactions: panda-zebra

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Am however concerned with lazy code swamping the cpu for no good reason. Looking at Dragons Dogma situation I’m left scratching my head - shit would likely run on a Jaguar with a poofteenth of the processing power last Gen with proper consideration. lazy, and unoptimised.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
by the way, anybody want to guess whether N5 TSMC will be freed up in time for the Pro?

Apple should move from N5 this year as Apple A15 products ceases. Nvidia Blackwell and Lovelace moves to N4 and N3. AMD Navi 41 and Ryzen 9000 reportedly fabbed on N4.

With that out of the way, N5 would be free up.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Am however concerned with lazy code swamping the cpu for no good reason. Looking at Dragons Dogma situation I’m left scratching my head - shit would likely run on a Jaguar with a poofteenth of the processing power last Gen with proper consideration. lazy, and unoptimised.
Yeah some of these devs are like "OK good better hardware they can brute force it" and optimize shit.