PS5 Pro updated rumors/leaks & technical/specs discussion |OT| PS5 Pro Enhanced Requirements Detailed.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
What's the likelihood of 1080p upscale to whatever but the framerates are 120? Because once you experience 120fps 60fps feels juddery.
For many games that are already cross gen, it is very possible. Maybe I am wrong, but COD games are already 1080P 120fps on base PS5.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
Completely useless for almost all.
I wonder what proportion of PS5 owners own a fully featured HDMI2.1 capable of 4K 120Hz, and/or connect it to a monitor capable of 1440p/4K 120Hz.
4K120 TVs with HDMI2.1 are pretty much a given to most people paying >800€ for them, and most OLED and FALD panels have it as well.

I'm not sure that proportion is so irrelevant.

Reactions: PlacidusaX

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
They're gonna charge another $10 for PS5 Pro remaster remaster, aren't they?
Was not the case with pro before. The games should be same sku, just aware of pro to increase potential. Unless they put pro enhancements in some Game of the year editions only - doubt worth the pr hit.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
From a poster on gaf...

Digital Foundry has new and VERY INTERESTING info about PS5 Pro GPU specs via DF Direct early access . I will not post their video or slide as I acknowledge they have to make a living but confirmed specs below:

1. 30 WGPs = 60 Active CUs
2. Configuration: 2 SEs/ 4 SAs (8-7 8-7)
2. 2.35 Ghz Max Boost Clock
3. GL2 Cache =4MB (Same as PS5)
4. GL1 Cache =256kb (PS5 =128kb)
5. GL0V Cache = 32kb (PS5 = 16kb) "Sony Specifically says this increase is to allow for better RT performance"

I'm still watching and will update you guys asap.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
2. 2.35 Ghz Max Boost Clock
This still sounds a bit conservative for RDNA 3.5 and RDNA 4, but it makes a lot more sense than the earlier 2.18GHz number that was rumored before.

It could still be an early clock coming to devkits and Sony might still be raising the clocks after production units get out there, but if the chip is on N6 then I wouldn't count on much more than that.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This still sounds a bit conservative for RDNA 3.5 and RDNA 4, but it makes a lot more sense than the earlier 2.18GHz number that was rumored before.

It could still be an early clock coming to devkits and Sony might still be raising the clocks after production units get out there, but if the chip is on N6 then I wouldn't count on much more than that.
You have to remember that because of console form factor and needing to be cheap they need to keep the power profile fairly low. Base ps5 is around 200w full load, with a 300w power supply. I doubt they want to push that past around 250w with a 350w PSU. So the lower clocks makes sense.

Reactions: ToTTenTranz
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

• 0:40:14 News 03: New PS5 Pro GPU details!

It's the PS5 Pro graphics details I'm going to concentrate on today because the information casts an interesting new light on the upcoming console - and may deliver clarity on some of the question marks surrounding GPU performance and backwards compatibility with the existing PS5. Leaked specifications, derived from Sony's developer portal, suggest that the PS5 Pro has 30 WGP (Work Group Processors) delivering 33.5 teraflops of performance. This is up against the standard model with 18 WGP offering up an equivalent 10.23 teraflops.

On the surface level, that's an extra 227 percent of performance, except that the same Sony documents suggest only an extra 45 percent of actual game throughput. Part of the explanation comes from the RDNA 3 architecture with its dual-issue FP32 support, which doubles the amount of instructions processed, but which does not typically double game performance.
2.23GHz. However, 'reverse-engineering' PS5 Pro's 33.5TF figue suggests a 2.18GHz clock from its 60 CUs, lower than that of the standard model. Something doesn't quite make sense then, with some suggesting that the new console actually has 56 CUs, with four disabled, which would deliver a higher clock to hit that 33.5TF - and perhaps in the process provide a hardware balance that's a better fit for PS5 game compatibility.

Recent details we've seen - a part of Sony's recent developer disclosures - seem to tidy up the discrepancies to a certain degree. The standard PS5 features 18 WGP over two shader engines/four shader arrays in a 5-4-5-4 configuration, while the Pro does indeed feature 30 active WGPs over two shader engines/four shader arrays in an 8-7-8-7 set-up. Both consoles, therefore, feature four deactivated CUs - and this is confirmation of 60 CUs in the new machine.

This means that the stated 33.5TF does indeed suggest a slightly lower clock-speed for the GPU in the region of 2.18GHz - which may be the case in general operation, but the new information also reveals that the PlayStation 5 Pro can boost higher than its standard counterpart, to a maximum of 2.35GHz (a theoretical maximum of 36.1TF). However, similar to the original PS5, system performance is limited by a power ceiling, so it's rather rare for the GPU to hit that maximum and only certain games will boost that high. Bearing in mind the surfeit of compute power for standard PlayStation 5 games, we must assume that the slight reduction in general clock speed (just under three percent) likely makes no difference, while the 'ultra boost' mode should instead deliver much more graphics throughput for existing titles.

The cache structure of the new GPU changes in some areas. The 4MB of L2 cache per WGP remains the same, while L1 doubles from 128KB to 256KB to accommodate the larger numbers of compute units per shader engine. L0 cache also improves from 16KB to 32KB, which Sony says is to accommodate higher ray tracing performance.

Elsewhere, the PlayStation 5 Pro's GPU evolves to include DirectX12 Ultimate features that were omitted from the original console - so, hardware support for variable rate shading is included, along with extra features for hybrid MSAA. The primitive shader features found in RDNA 1 and the vanilla PS5 are augmented with full support for mesh shaders, which should hopefully see more widespread adoption of a very useful feature. Sony points out how the stricter requirements of this feature up against PC APIs are no longer an issue.

Stepping back from the specifics, it's still surprising to me that a 67 percent increase in compute units only translates to around 45 percent of extra performance, but similar to PS4 Pro vs PS4, increased compute does not scale in a linear fashion with increased game performance. Memory bandwidth only scales by around 29 percent from PS5 to Pro, for example. I think we'll need to look at the Pro more holistically, judged by its actual results, and PSSR upscaling could be just as transformative for Sony as it has been for Nvidia DLSS.

Reactions: Puff
24 Jun 2022
At this current time I have no enthusiasm or interest in a PS5 Pro. Some of the technical features are intriguing, yes. But I just have no faith in SIE's leadership to maximize usage of the Pro (or even base PS5) or the experience the system could encapsulate.

Just guess it is what it is at this point :/

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
At this current time I have no enthusiasm or interest in a PS5 Pro. Some of the technical features are intriguing, yes. But I just have no faith in SIE's leadership to maximize usage of the Pro (or even base PS5) or the experience the system could encapsulate.

Thy definiteky won't maximize shit hell ps5 isn't being maximized.

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
dfpro5.png

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024

I am optimistic because PS5 Pro enhancement is a dev issue and Sony has some of the best devs in the business.

24 Jun 2022
I am optimistic because PS5 Pro enhancement is a dev issue and Sony has some of the best devs in the business.

And now those devs are:

-Releasing less games/games more slowly because of PC simultaneous development​
-Have more bugs/glitches in the console releases because of the above (sometimes well after the console version, like with the GOT update when the PC port was announced)​
-Making safer/less creatively ambitious games due to increased AAA costs and higher licensing fees (see: Insomniac with Spiderman)​
-Reorganizing internal dev pipelines after they got screwed up with overzealous GAAS plans that were significantly changed a few months ago​
-Less regions for thematic (both storytelling & game design) variety for 1P titles​

Pro enhancements being a dev-side thing means most will phone it in and underutilize the hardware. Most of Sony's 1P won't push the system both because of the increasingly prevalent PC strategy and also because game scope for design is never targeted towards Pro models.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
And now those devs are:

-Releasing less games/games more slowly because of PC simultaneous development​
-Have more bugs/glitches in the console releases because of the above (sometimes well after the console version, like with the GOT update when the PC port was announced)​
-Making safer/less creatively ambitious games due to increased AAA costs and higher licensing fees (see: Insomniac with Spiderman)​
-Reorganizing internal dev pipelines after they got screwed up with overzealous GAAS plans that were significantly changed a few months ago​
-Less regions for thematic (both storytelling & game design) variety for 1P titles​

Pro enhancements being a dev-side thing means most will phone it in and underutilize the hardware. Most of Sony's 1P won't push the system both because of the increasingly prevalent PC strategy and also because game scope for design is never targeted towards Pro models.
you also forgot include affirmitive action and DEI which increases cost even more.

ToTTenTranz

Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

L0 and L1 Cache amounts don't make sense.
RDNA3 uses 64KB L0 per WGP / 32KB L0 per CU. And then it has 512KB L1 per Sader Engine.

In the end we should be looking at 1.92MB L0, 2MB L1 and 4MB L2 on the PS5 Pro. Basically it's ~2/3rds of the N31 in the 7900XTX.

349a14154c4ce646.jpg

As for the rest, I don't know why Digital Foundry keeps insisting on Variable Rate Shading Tier 2 as if it was something relevant, after 3.5 years of compute solutions showing similar results with similar performance.

hard to believe it will be all 60. i need to see it for myself.
It's 60 out of 64 total.