PS5 Pro: Will there be any killer App games? (Digital Foundry Video)

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Ever since I stood by watching Rockstar not patch RDR2 for 60fps I knew it was pointless to expect anything from Pro. Just because it can run games at a certain level doesn’t mean devs will allow it for free (or ever).
Greedy for releasing an optional console with the best price to performance ratio of any hardware?

• fire
Reactions: The Icon

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
What next?

Digital Foundary - Will there be any killer app games for the 1500 dollar Nvidia RTX 5090?

Of course you won’t see this.

DF Xbox shills only making these videos because Microsoft isn’t releasing a Pro console this generation.

Watch the narrative change when they do.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd bet the same games that sell base PS5 will sell PS5 Pro.

Same as happened with PS4 and PS4 Pro, I don't expect specific games to showcase the Pro will be the same that will sell the PS5 just looking a bit better/running a bit smoother.

PS has an insane library full of great games that appeal many different types of player. Any PS console relied on a specific game, there aren't specific games that moved sales in a meaningful, noticiable way.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
There doesn't need to be a killer app.

Pro will be worth it alone just for watching DF squirm as they do the ps5 pro and Xbox comparisons.

The funniest content by far will be the pc fanboy Alex Battaglia crying his eyes out when his $5000 PC gets crushed by the PS5 Pro.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: FatKaz

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Lol the pro can't crush a 5000 dollar pc. It is a console after all.

It depends on how you look at it. Will the PS5 Pro beat a $5000 pc if you run a benchmark? No. But will it provide a better gaming experience? I would bet on it. No stutters, no crashes, no fiddling with settings to get a stable framerate, just smooth enjoyable gameplay. That's something the pc mustards will never understand. I don't want to race my hardware, I want to play games on it.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think it's crazy how productive the platform business group has been yet gets zero credit.

They launched the PS5 in the middle of a pandemic in 2020.
February 2023 they launched PSVR2
November 2023 they launched PS5 Slim and PS Portal
By the end of 2024 they'll have launched the PS5 Pro

Basically every year since Q4 2022 they've launched new hardware. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS handheld launched by the end of 2025 (though we're more likely looking at 2026). All of this while making improvements to the PS5 like incorporating Discord and releasing a PC overlay for first party games and releasing PS Link.

I won't be surprised if by the end of the year or next year the PS Portal gets streaming support. They finally added wifi splash screens support to it and they added a PC adapter for PSVR2.

Nishino is absolutely cooking.

It'll be very interesting to see what price a PS handheld launches at compared to the Switch 2 and if PSSR is a great equalizer in terms of power vs price. And in conjunction with the Studio business group, it'll be interesting to see whether their family oriented push will align with an affordable handheld. Which is especially notable for a couple reasons. Astrobot isn't on Switch and Lego Horizon isn't on PS4.

Obviously, that could mean absolutely nothing, or it could mean that this PS Handheld will in fact play scaled down PS5 games. If they were releasing a handheld that could only do native PS4 games, you'd think lego horizon would release on PS4 and clearly Astrobot is going to need full dual sense control schemes, which would work on the portal, for which the PS handheld is probably designed after. They'd rather patch lego horizon for ps5 to work on handheld than to release a ps4 version that would play natively on said handheld.

We'll have a pretty decent understanding of how capable PSSR is with the PS5 Pro and what it could do on a PS Handheld.

It's crazy with all the hate Sony gets recently clear and massive the leap they're about to make as company. We loved it when they released the PSP and Vita, but neither system could survive with the software support they received. Now Sony will release a legit handheld for the first time that doesn't have any serious drawbacks and plays the same games as the home console.

We're about to enter Sony's golden age as a hardware producer and software producer, yet the vitriol from "fans" you would think they're in massive decline.

I'm convinced these people don't actually play games otherwise, they'd be stuck on praising Returnal, GT7, and Astrobot. I can't remember a time when Sony was successfully delivering so many unique games in unique genres either through 1st, 2nd, or 3rd party published/exclusive titles.

Gran Turismo 7 is a series return to form. Gran Turismo 6 came out nearly a decade earlier on PS3... GT7 has full VR support, and will almost certainly be one of the first patched games on PS5 Pro.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I got the PS4 pro for the enhancements and the auto-enhance mode, overall I was very pleased with it (got slightly improved frame rates/resolutions and some games offered unlocked frame rate).

I'm not sure I have enough time to game to really enjoy the PS5 Pro... so I'll see when it comes out.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
I don't think anyone has an issue with the hardware and software teams. It's the business people that we don't trust.
Yeah, the programmers will be like: Hey, I'll spend a few hours tweaking the rendering settings to unlock features we already created in the config file and we can ship this patch for pretty much no cost because I would have spent this time on twitter anyway.

The bean counters: Hey this is shiny, let's sell this as a remake!!

Reactions: Evil Aloy
OP
OP
Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
Did they even mention GTA6, which is obviously the killer app...even if it takes a bit longer to release.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
It depends on how you look at it. Will the PS5 Pro beat a $5000 pc if you run a benchmark? No. But will it provide a better gaming experience? I would bet on it. No stutters, no crashes, no fiddling with settings to get a stable framerate, just smooth enjoyable gameplay. That's something the pc mustards will never understand. I don't want to race my hardware, I want to play games on it.
The vast majority of pc games run perfectly. So yeah a 5000 pc would easily give you a better game experience, performance wise.

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
The vast majority of pc games run perfectly. So yeah a 5000 pc would easily give you a better game experience, performance wise.

Ok, let's put this to the test. Which AAA PC games in the last 3-4 years ran perfectly? Give me a list and I will search for videos that prove or disprove your claim.

Reactions: mibu no ookami

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do you guys think they will try to make it a more compact form?
Maybe decide on a single brand for the internal fans, and a quieter disc drive?

And I know it's a meme at this point, but I feel that giant heatsink was worth it.
Making it smaller for the SLIM model probably wasn't a good idea???
There is no way to be more compact imo.
The chip size and amount of parts to cool it will be bigger than PS5.

Said that maybe with a new process the PS5 can be smaller… a Supet Slim maybe next year.