PS5 Pro: Will there be any killer App games? (Digital Foundry Video)

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Stick to console gaming. Pc gaming is too advanced for you too understand.
It is so advanced that most games have performance issues at launch and several are utter broken 😂😂😂

The superior PCMR.

It is because of guys like you that have no ideia how games are on PC that people makes jokes about PCMR that are not even 1% of actual PC gamers.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
PCMR is the new "You're an Xbot".
Name calling instead of comprehension.
Many such cases. Sad.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I'm talking about solely for GTA 6. A tiny amount of people will buy GTA 6 on the pro for 30 more fps. Even though the pro is not a guarantee to run GTA 6 at 60fps. I think the ps5 pro will perform worst then the PS4 pro.
PS5 Pro will perform the same or better then the PS4 Pro that's for sure. Gamers are more aware of enhanced options to play games nowadays. Many PC people will pick up a Pro since its cheaper then upgrading their PC. You will need a 4080 or better to outclass PS5 Pro on PC. I don't know why Steam fanboys are complaining about setting up a PSN account to play PlayStation games on PC, when they get a Pro all they will need to do is just log in and get to it.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
no i just like playing on cutting edge tech. on Console i can't do that. Also i have a ultra wide monitor. Consoles don't support ultra wide. which sucks. Consoles are good for what they are though. But compared to my pc its a turd.
We understand you.
We are jealous about your PCMR ring.
Everything makes sense now.

Thanks.

Reactions: Umar

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
PCMR is the new "You're an Xbot".
Name calling instead of comprehension.
Many such cases. Sad.
No I actually don't care if dudes play on PC. But folks who need to down talk consoles at every attempt, are no different than Console fanboys. Consoles have a better value than PC ino, because cheaper and easier to set up. Well PC gaming is great too but not for me. I use the PC 8 hours a day in my profession as Network engineer, but I simply don't see the appeal. Hence why it's called workstation. Regardless I call only folks PCMR when they do shill for PC and need to take a dunk on consols. Same as PS-, Nintendo- and Xbox fanboys.

Reactions: ethomaz

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
PS5 Pro will perform the same or better then the PS4 Pro that's for sure. Gamers are more aware of enhanced options to play games nowadays. Many PC people will pick up a Pro since its cheaper then upgrading their PC. You will need a 4080 or better to outclass PS5 Pro on PC. I don't know why Steam fanboys are complaining about setting up a PSN account to play PlayStation games on PC, when they get a Pro all they will need to do is just log in and get to it.
I think it will perform worst. And no a ps5 pro gpu equivalent will be close to a 3080 at best. no need for a 4080 to out perform it.

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
What the PS5 Pro will be able to do will benefit a lot of games out right now or will come during 2024, 2025 etc... Which I hope Sony will show us something about it during this year hopefully if the PS5 Pro is still out November 2024.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
I think it will perform worst. And no a ps5 pro gpu equivalent will be close to a 3080 at best. no need for a 4080 to out perform it.
PS5 Pro will match the 4070ti at a minimum, nice try though. What are your PC specs? And dont just say your gpu, I'm talking cpu and ram speed as well.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
PS5 Pro will match the 4070ti at a minimum, nice try though. What are your PC specs? And dont just say your gpu, I'm talking cpu and ram speed as well.
no it wont . What are you basing this off? Teraflops? If so you're doing it wrong.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
a tiny people amount of people will buy the pro soley for 60fps for gta 6. Also the pro is not even guaranteed to run gta 6 at 60fps btw. GTA 6 is going to be heavy on the cpu. The pro cpu isnt that much of a improvement.

You inherently don't understand the point of the PS5 Pro.

The vast majority of games are GPU constrained on PS5 not CPU constrained.

There's a handful of PS5 games that have shown to have CPU issues on PS5 and who knows what further optimization could have been done to resolve those issues.

Why would Sony pour component costs into beefing up the CPU when it wouldn't help the vast majority of games, when it could pour those same resources into the GPU and memory and improve every game?

People assume GTA6 will run at 30 fps because GTA5 ran sub 30 fps. They also assume it'll be CPU limited, but we've yet to see the game.

Nearly every game on PS5 runs at 60 fps, at least in a performance mode. The PS5 Pro will allow you to run these games at higher resolutions similar to fidelity mode possibly even with further enhancements like RTX and maintain that framerate.

Cerny and co obviously continued engineering the PS5 taking data from existing games and understood the assignment that the bottleneck was GPU not CPU and while they invested in a small upgrade to CPU to smooth some games out now and in the future, the real gains to be had were in GPU.

Yet you sight unseen claim it'll be a worse upgrade than PS4 Pro? Not understanding that so many games on PS4 weren't designed to run at 60 fps to begin with and many dev teams had to go back and patch these in. Games that ran unlocked framerates were easier to patch. That's much more standard now. Many games are designed to be unlocked and are capped to 60 for consistency. We've seen that with many games supporting VRR. Ps5 Pro will have far greater support out of the gates than the PS4 Pro with at least higher resolution and framerates. What will be more interesting though is how many are patched to include RTX and other graphical enhancements. Likely any games that have those assets on PC and a multitude of Sony first party games like GT7.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
You inherently don't understand the point of the PS5 Pro.

The vast majority of games are GPU constrained on PS5 not CPU constrained.

There's a handful of PS5 games that have shown to have CPU issues on PS5 and who knows what further optimization could have been done to resolve those issues.

Why would Sony pour component costs into beefing up the CPU when it wouldn't help the vast majority of games, when it could pour those same resources into the GPU and memory and improve every game?

People assume GTA6 will run at 30 fps because GTA5 ran sub 30 fps. They also assume it'll be CPU limited, but we've yet to see the game.

Nearly every game on PS5 runs at 60 fps, at least in a performance mode. The PS5 Pro will allow you to run these games at higher resolutions similar to fidelity mode possibly even with further enhancements like RTX and maintain that framerate.

Cerny and co obviously continued engineering the PS5 taking data from existing games and understood the assignment that the bottleneck was GPU not CPU and while they invested in a small upgrade to CPU to smooth some games out now and in the future, the real gains to be had were in GPU.

Yet you sight unseen claim it'll be a worse upgrade than PS4 Pro? Not understanding that so many games on PS4 weren't designed to run at 60 fps to begin with and many dev teams had to go back and patch these in. Games that ran unlocked framerates were easier to patch. That's much more standard now. Many games are designed to be unlocked and are capped to 60 for consistency. We've seen that with many games supporting VRR. Ps5 Pro will have far greater support out of the gates than the PS4 Pro with at least higher resolution and framerates. What will be more interesting though is how many are patched to include RTX and other graphical enhancements. Likely any games that have those assets on PC and a multitude of Sony first party games like GT7.
You didn't understand what I said. I said the ps5 pro will probably perform worst then PS4 pro sales wise. Many people say GTA 6 will be heavy on cpu because it's a big open world game. Most open world games are more cpu bound. And the ps5 pro cpu is a minor upgrade.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
@ethomaz

You're wasting time. That things an xbox shill, pretending to be a PC gamer ever since MS pulled the plug on xbox. Don't even bother.
The majority of your posts are just "forget it Jake, it's Xboxtown"

Can you have a discussion without throwing down the Xbot shill schtick?

Reactions: Infinity

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You didn't understand what I said. I said the ps5 pro will probably perform worst then PS4 pro sales wise. Many people say GTA 6 will be heavy on cpu because it's a big open world game. Most open world games are more cpu bound. And the ps5 pro cpu is a minor upgrade.
To be fair that's an assumption made by DF, just as they made assumptions of how Series X massively would outperform. They have been wrong about hardware specs and it's performance this entire gen. No one knows, only Rockstar with how they have utilised their engine with the hardware and what leap it is from GTA5. That runs in 60 with RT on PS5, so if they beefed up the 7th-gen geometry, scope, lightning and density I wouldn't count it out. Also considering there will be a Series S version and how big of a gap that would be with the Pro..

For killer apps, outside of Astrobot I would say Ghost 2 but it won't come out this year.. maybe a HZD remake to show the improvements and flex the Decima before DS2 comes out, if they gonna do it that's the moment to drop it.
Rather the unlocked VRR modes of all 1st party titles with RT benefits is my guess. GT7 native 4k at 60 (120?) with RT same for Spidey 2 etc.
Personally saved my 2nd play through of FF16 (with DLC) for this to play it in performance mode, FF7 rebirth would benefit of the resolution bump as well. A title like Jedi Survivor which runs like %^& and is completely broken on PC would benefit of a Pro patch, the rumoured 4k120fps would be crazy.

Reactions: mibu no ookami