PS5 shipments top 54.8 million as of December 2023. Has outsold Xbox Series X/S 2-1, data suggests

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Xbox killing itself isn't surprising but Sony will be in big trouble once they are competing directly against Steam instead of Xbox. They seem to have no idea who they are up against and how Valve thinks longterm (as in 10+ years ahead).

All that Valve needs to figure out is how to make a console like hardware work for them in terms of pricing and PlayStation will have an extremely hard time competing against something like that. Even MS is still in a position to pull a similar move (Sony is lucky that Xbox is too incompetent to see it).
Lol Please! Valve won’t make a dent when it comes to Sony and Nintendo. Valve competes in a different market.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Lol Please! Valve won’t make a dent when it comes to Sony and Nintendo. Valve competes in a different market.
Seems like you'll be just as surprised as Sony when Valve eats their lunch like they did with MS (and everyone else too) in the PC space.

SteamOS is set to take over a big chunk of traditional console in the upcoming years, specially with the death of Xbox and PS5 selling less units than PS4.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Seems like you'll be just as surprised as Sony when Valve eats their lunch like they did with MS (and everyone else too) in the PC space.

SteamOS is set to take over a big chunk of traditional console in the upcoming years, specially with the death of Xbox and PS5 selling less units than PS4.
Ok. Lol

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

You PC hot takes never fail to astound and make ppl laugh 😂

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
You PC hot takes never fail to astound and make ppl laugh 😂
All my previous takes have been right, what else needs to be said?

I bet MS was laughing too when they tough they were doing great with Xbox and that Steam didn't matter.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
All my previous takes have been right, what else needs to be said?

I bet MS was laughing too when they tough they were doing great with Xbox and that Steam didn't matter.
We all knew Xbox was going down. I mean you don't have to be Nostradamus to figure out their weaknesses and dumb decisions. I think 98% of the ppl on this forum called Microsoft shortfalls :)

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
We all knew Xbox was going down. I mean you don't have to be Nostradamus to figure out their weaknesses and dumb decisions. I think 98% of the ppl on this forum called Microsoft shortfalls :)
Nope, most people are surprised by it. Even Sony was following Xbox footsteps until recently (possibly still is).

A good chunk of people here just cheer Sony no matter what, so they are bound to be right every time Xbox fails, there is no merit in that.

I was able to figure out Xbox was going third party the moment they bought Bethesda, I also knew the Series S was going to be a major flop the moment is was announced.

People here like to underestimate PC, Steam, SteamOS and the Steam Deck, Valve rarely misses and their long term strategy is usually extremely precise. Notice how Valve never tried to emulate of compete with Gamepass but they did bother to commit to a 10+ years strategy to make Linux gaming viable.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nope, most people are surprised by it. Even Sony was following Xbox footsteps until recently (possibly still is).

A good chunk of people here just cheer Sony no matter what, so they are bound to be right every time Xbox fails, there is no merit in that.
I beg to differ. Things were obvious and ppl called out Xbox missteps not just in general but unequivocally many threads talked about specifics and what they were doing wrong. E.g. gamepass cannabalizing software sales, Microsoft developed games suffering due to gamepass and being constrained, etc were all thing I sure mentioned at the very beginning of those initiatives and I remember most saying the same thing. Only fanboys didn't see tht coming.

But hey it is what it is. We must have been in the wrong threads or getting the wrong info from participants on some bizarro world scenario.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I beg to differ. Things were obvious and ppl called out Xbox missteps not just in general but unequivocally many threads talked about specifics and what they were doing wrong. E.g. gamepass cannabalizing software sales, Microsoft developed games suffering due to gamepass and being constrained, etc were all thing I sure mentioned at the very beginning of those initiatives and I remember most saying the same thing. Only fanboys didn't see tht coming.

But hey it is what it is
If people here were right about most things, wouldn't most also be right about PC ports and pivot to GaaS being a huge strategic mistake?

PlayStation fans have been dead wrong about Sony and their supposed hidden games that will be revealed and released any time now.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
If people here were right about most things, wouldn't most also be right about PC ports and pivot to GaaS being a huge strategic mistake?

PlayStation fans have been dead wrong about Sony and their supposed hidden games that will be revealed and released any time now.
Where have you been? Must not be in these forums because everyone has had a take on all those things some right and some wrong. E.g. I welcomed certain gaas as long as it was done in a strategic manner and wasn't main focus of Sony initiative and didn't take away from monster single player games like (drumroll plz..) Spiderman, Ghost of T, GOW, etc.... Which have embedded and made Playstation who they are. And nothing in that argument has changed and it so holds true. I mean I've been cheering Helldivers to the moon

Oh wait now yours is the only opinion tht shines on here and has been right and wrong? I hear you Bro lol

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Where have you been? Must not be in these forums because everyone has had a take on all those things some right and some wrong.

Oh wait now yours is the only opinion tht shines on here and has been right and wrong? I hear you Bro lol
Not my fault I was right. It's a benefit of not being a blind fan that will cheer anything Sony does and underestimate competitors.

Reactions: Darth Vader
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not my fault I was right. It's a benefit of not being a blind fan that will cheer anything Sony does and underestimate competitors.
Ive been right and so many others all this time as well. I don't understand what you getting at? My point is what you are saying many others hace also said, don't need to be Nostradamus to see that. Again my point stands.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
Ive been right and so many others all this time as well. I don't understand what you getting at? My point is what you are saying many others hace also said, don't need to be Nostradamus to see that. Again my point stands.
To me it seem like you are saying that no matter what Sony place is secure.

All I see is a PS5 that is selling worse than the PS4 despite the direct competitor killing itself, Nintendo with incredible momentum, PC more competitive than ever and getting all PlayStation games. Things never stay the same for too long in the console space and Sony is about to get a wake up call in the next few years.

Another thing that need to be considered is that Microsoft isn't just Xbox, Xbox dying and Phil Spencer getting fired might be what they needed all along.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
To me it seem like you are saying that no matter what Sony place is secure.

All I see it a PS5 that is selling worse than the PS4 despite the direct competitor killing itself, Nintendo with incredible momentum, PC more competitive than ever and getting all PlayStation games.
No company is secure, they always need to strive to do better and expand this is business 101 lol. My take was always that Xbox would get annihalated by Sony even with acquisitions and that has come to pass, also that gamepass would have a negative effect and not sustain Microsoft also has come to pass. Sony is not in any capacity doing bad and these doom and gloom takes are just hyperbolic at best. PC will not in any capacity eat into Sony's markets share either thats my other opinion as they cater to diff demos. PC growth has nothing to do with eating into console market share.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
No company is secure, they always need to strive to do better and expand this is business 101 lol. My take was always that Xbox would get annihalated by Sony even with acquisitions and that has come to pass, also that gamepass would have a negative effect and not sustain Microsoft also has come to pass. Sony is not in any capacity doing bad and these doom and gloom takes are just hyperbolic at best. PC will not in any capacity eat into Sony's markets share either thats my other opinion as they cater to diff demos. PC growth has nothing to do with eating into console market share.
PS+ also has a negative effect on PlayStation game sales and so do PC ports on PS5 sales.

If you can't picture how SteamOS positions Valve into becoming direct competition to PS5 then you'll just have to see for yourself. You think Valve spent 10+ years working on it because of the Steam Deck? You don't seem to understand Valve and how they think.

Unlike Sony that releases something like the Vita and the learns all the wrong lessons, Valve learns from their previous mistakes and make long term plans.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
PS+ also has a negative effect on PlayStation game sales and so do PC ports on PS5 sales.

If you can't picture how SteamOS positions Valve into becoming direct competition to PS5 then you'll just have to see for yourself. You think Valve spent 10+ years working on it because of the Steam Deck? You don't seem to understand Valve and how they think.

Unlike Sony that releases something like the Vita and the learns all the wrong lessons, Valve learns from their previous mistakes and make long term plans.
"PS+ also has a negative effect on PlayStation game sales and so do PC ports on PS5 sales" . Not in a substantial capacity lol it's comparing apples to oranges when bringing in gamepass. It hardly has affected them especially when taking into account the number of ps subs, how most gamrs are out on the service later on, etc.. Also when putting in perspective the lukewarm PC sales of PS5 ports and even then most those PC sales were probably either double dips or ppl tht don't console game at all. You really really think that most ppl are saying "hold up wait let me not get a PS5 because in two years or even a year we might get tlou 2?" or hold up I have a PS5 but ima wait for the PC release 😂😂😂

Plz I see your trying to prop up your argument about PC dominating and taking over PS5 sales but nahhh the data is not saying tht or suggesting it. Different markets, one doing better or worse is not attached to the metrics of the other.

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
"PS+ also has a negative effect on PlayStation game sales and so do PC ports on PS5 sales" . Not in a substantial capacity lol it's comparing apples to oranges when bringing in gamepass. It hardly has affected them especially when taking into account the number of ps subs, how most gamrs are out on the service later on, etc.. Also when putting in perspective the lukewarm PC sales of PS5 ports and even then most those PC sales were probably either double dips or ppl tht don't console game at all. You really really think that most ppl are saying "hold up wait let me not get a PS5 because in two years or even a year we might get tlou 2?" or hold up I have a PS5 but ima wait for the PC release 😂😂😂

Plz I see your trying to prop up your argument about PC dominating and taking over PS5 sales but nahhh the data is not saying tht or suggesting it. Different markets, one doing better or worse is not attached to the metrics of the other.
Leaks showed PS+ had a sharp effect on Horizon Forbidden West sales trajectory.

PS5 is selling slower than PS4, are you still going to blame it on COVID or is there a new explanation to it?