Pushsquare: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
In an unprecedented move, Sony will axe Concord on 6th September, just two weeks after the high-budget first-person shooter released. This multi-million dollar blunder goes beyond disaster – it’s an absolute embarrassment, and will forever be a stain on the format holder’s record. PlayStation’s always had first-party flops, but this product was so utterly rejected by its audience and the industry at large that it gives us a glimpse into an organisation utterly out of touch. It’d also probably put PS Studios boss Hermen Hulst under the microscope – if he hadn’t already been prematurely promoted to co-CEO.

As it happens, the ex-Guerrilla managing director will probably escape most of the blame here, as ire will instead be directed at disliked executive Jim Ryan, who departed the company earlier in the year. However, Ryan would have only been responsible for signing the cheques in this excruciating incident – this was Hulst’s baby through and through.

Reaction: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself 2 Image: Push Square
He said as much in 2023, when PlayStation acquired developer Firewalk Studios. “We continue to be impressed by the team’s ambitions to build a modern multiplayer game that connects players in new and innovative ways,” the Dutchman wrote on the PS Blog. Concord would go on to connect players in new and innovative ways, of course – as it was met with a level of disdain and indifference on a scale we’ve never seen before. Analysts suggest the title may have sold as few as 25,000 copies, undoubtedly making it PlayStation’s biggest ever bomb. Even forgotten forays like Kill Strain lasted six or so months.

It’s worrying that Sony allowed this product to reach the market at all. There would have been focus testing and extensive analysis behind-the-scenes, and apparently no one on a six-or-seven figure salary was able to pick up on the problems. The platform holder, instead, doubled down: spare a thought for poor upcoming Amazon Prime television show Secret Levels, which has an entire episode inspired by the universe of Concord. The release will have been offline for three months by the time that airs.

Pay your respects to Haven, too, the Canadian studio behind the widely disliked Fairgame$ – another title signed by Hulst. This co-operative shooter was announced alongside Concord last year, and was criticised much harder than Firewalk’s FPS. It simply can’t reach market without an extensive post-mortem; whoever has been championing these projects internally is going to need to take a long, hard look at the direction they’re steering the company because this ain’t it.

Reaction: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself 3
In fact, with the exception of Helldivers 2, the firm’s whole live service push looks like it’s in tatters right now. Pulling the plug on Concord this quickly, without any rescue attempt, will have consequences. Why should you trust Sony with your money and, more importantly, your time when it axes releases so ruthlessly? Yes, this underlines just how profoundly awful the sci-fi shooter has performed, but it’s a stench that will stick to all of the firm’s future multiplayer products – especially those that have turbulent starts.

Firewalk says that it’s exploring its options, but that’s a euphemism and we’re sad to say the studio will likely be shut down. While we hate to see talented developers out of work, we don’t think the developer itself can entirely be absolved of the blame. To our knowledge it made the experience it wanted to make, and that doesn’t automatically entitle it to success.

But this game is symptomatic of wider problems within the PlayStation hierarchy. Hulst’s rapid rise to the top is giving us pause, especially when his hit rate thus far includes the acquisition of self-destructing studio Bungie and the biggest flop in PS Studios history. He, along with his advisors and subordinates, have a lot of soul searching to do over the coming days.

Reaction: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself 4
Sony needs a cash cow, because its single player games are costing too much and taking too long to make. The mistake it’s made is trying to force the initiative on a fanbase that’s disconnected after years of being kept in the dark. For the enthusiasts reading Push Square, Concord is more than just an uneventful hero shooter: it’s emblematic of an organisation at odds with the demands of its most committed players.

Astro Bot’s inevitable acclaim will help heal wounds this week, but the soul searching must continue behind-the-scenes: PlayStation needs to find a way to fix the frayed relationship with its fans, otherwise we don’t see this tug-of-war with its most engaged players coming to an end.

A lot of truth bombs.

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
>Sony needs a cash cow, because its single player games are costing too much and taking too long to make. The mistake it’s made is trying to force the initiative on a fanbase that’s disconnected after years of being kept in the dark.

This is the problem right here. Sony has typecast PlayStation as the single player, third-person action-adventure machine. But...what happens when that role starts producing diminishing returns? The answer was apparently a hard left turn into GAAS, but I think everyone knew that was going to be a disaster. Truth is, I don't know what the answer is for them but I hope they figure it out because their current AAA single player development strategy is unsustainable.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
PushSquare is an astroturfing site but this is true. This whole GaaS push never should have taken off.

I hope they look at the other crap they have in store and divert those resources to what made PS great.

Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
>Sony needs a cash cow, because its single player games are costing too much and taking too long to make. The mistake it’s made is trying to force the initiative on a fanbase that’s disconnected after years of being kept in the dark.

This is the problem right here. Sony has typecast PlayStation as the single player, third-person action-adventure machine. But...what happens when that role starts producing diminishing returns? The answer was apparently a hard left turn into GAAS, but I think everyone knew that was going to be a disaster. Truth is, I don't know what the answer is for them but I hope they figure it out because their current AAA single player development strategy is unsustainable.
Sony is not a publisher only, they are a platform holder - then need to maintain a healthy platform to reap revenue from all games sold - the bigger the game, the more they rake in.

Games PlayStation has been making are what made them what they are today. Sony would be blind to not recognise this.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Problem with sonys GAAS push(specifically concord) is they are chasing old trends.

They did something unique with Helldivers 2 and then you have markets like anime GAAS which has room for more players. But Sony want to waste time on a tired genre.

MiyazakiLovesKojima

Freakless Talents at Firewalk Studios & Sony HQ after launch:
concord-sony.gif

• haha
Reactions: toadsage44

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
People acting like ND or SSM made this flop. Lol If Firewalk got closed tomorrow, they would be forgotten. Honestly. I’m more worried about Bungie. Firewalk I’m sure was cheap to acquire. But Bungie was over 3B. I think they might be the bigger L.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Although the message is correct Pushsquare is one of the most disingenuous sites and they publish articles based on where the wind is blowing.

Sony does indeed need to have a hard look at themselves, Their most egregious mistake is putting all their eggs in one basket on the west coast. But it is not all doom and gloom they have a good thing going for them with the China Hero Project, they need to fix their pipelines and try to have worldwide global studios that bring something unique to the table. Take risks but not foolish risks, I would bet a failed JRPG stings less than a Concord.

And HOLY SHIT have a FUCKING SHOWCASE already otherwise even the most hard core fans will not be bothered to defend you. In seeking employee convenience and improved work culture they forgot the golden adage that the customer is paramount and always right.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony is not a publisher only, they are a platform holder - then need to maintain a healthy platform to reap revenue from all games sold - the bigger the game, the more they rake in.

Games PlayStation has been making are what made them what they are today. Sony would be blind to not recognise this.
They also already make big cash from 3rd party GaaS. They will make billions of their 30% cut from GTA6
If they want that 30% cut yo keep coming, they need a healthy and attractive platform with quality exclusives.

Reactions: arvfab

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Problem with sonys GAAS push(specifically concord) is they are chasing old trends.

They did something unique with Helldivers 2 and then you have markets like anime GAAS which has room for more players. But Sony want to waste time on a tired genre.

I agree with the anime gaas stuff and trying new things. But is a hero shooter an old trend? Marvel Rivals was received well recently.

And I dont really buy into the oversaturated market. How many Open world games are there, hundreds? how many MOBA’s, 1st person shooters, action adventure games. So many. Theres more battlefield games then there are Hero shooters.

As a pure Hero shooter, there is only currently OW2. Rainbow six, Valorant ( Both tactical shooters like Counter Strike with hero characters) Apex Legends (Battle Royal) arent exactly hero shooters like Overwatch

Last edited:
Reactions: FatKaz

Orangee

3 Mar 2024
Should have made LBP4 and printed money from MTX, but why right?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Was he not cool before today? 🤣
Apparently I'm a Sony shill or whatever now? I dunno can't keep up

At times I'm apparently a green rat on this site, other times a Sony shill? Can't keepy up

I guess liking Concord and not hating on Sony multiplayer games that isn't out as yet shouldn't be a thing?

Either way, who gives a shit with these weirdos