Pushsquare: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I think Hermen needs to look at himself and maybe realizing that he isn't the right person for the job, at least on the mp front. He's made a bunch of shitty bets on shitty gaas games.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Asteobot is not exactly setting the charts on fire either, releases in just 2 days and not even in the PSN top 10. This is a game normally given away for free and now charging $60 for it. The physical copy is ranked on Amazon top 100 at least.

Okay but the game itself is going to be great and of high quality. I believe the game will sell more after reviews and word of mouth spread.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
I think Hermen needs to look at himself and maybe realizing that he isn't the right person for the job, at least on the mp front. He's made a bunch of shitty bets on shitty gaas games.
This is as crazy as calling for a head coach to be fired after the first preseason game. Truly horrendous strategic thinking.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yurinka

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
PlayStation is being runned by people who have no idea what they're talking about, have no idea what videogames are...
GWo7AaiXYAA5T3G

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Yobo and Old Gamer

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
This is as crazy as calling for a head coach to be fired after the first preseason game. Truly horrendous strategic thinking.
Lets look at all the live service games that Sony has bet on in partnerships since the PS5 launch:

Godfall - moderate flop
Destruction all-stars - disastrous flop
Foam stars - disastrous flop
Suicide squad - disastrous flop
Hood: outlaws&legends - huge flop, no one even remembers this game existed
Alien isolation - flop
Helldivers - huge success but they didn't anticipate near the level of success by orders of magnitude showing that they aren't reading the market properly
Concord - biggest flop, possibly in the history of gaming
Overpay for Bungie which is having severe internal studio issues.

Listen, one flop is one thing, but a consistent string of failures to correctly analyze and capitalize on the market is another.

Hermen has skill issues when determining what live service games will succeed and which won't. He needs to delegate that responsibility to someone else. I'm not saying he should be fired. He just needs another pair of eyes on the ball.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Lets look at all the live service games that Sony has bet on in partnerships since the PS5 launch:

Godfall - moderate flop
Alien isolation - flop
Helldivers - huge success but they didn't anticipate near the level of success by orders of magnitude showing that they aren't reading the market properly

Listen, one flop is one thing, but a consistent string of failures to correctly analyze and capitalize on the market is another.

Hermen has skill issues when determining what live service games will succeed and which won't. He needs to delegate that responsibility to someone else. I'm not saying he should be fired. He just needs another pair of eyes on the ball.
I remember seeing an early version of Hood and thinking it had potential. Apparently it ended up playing terrible, oh well.

Edit: Honestly, biggest flop of all time? Redfall was worse than this, Babylon's Fall was worse than this. Overwatch 2 (which killed steady income from Overwatch 1) was worse than this. SS was worse than this. The Amazon Stodios MMOs that all amounted to nothing flopped worse than this. Payday 3 flopped harder than this and hurt Payday 2 along with it.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024

Godfall - moderate flop
Alien isolation - flop

That's not logical thinking though. It's irrational.

They do risk assessment on everything. They measure potential success rates with potential profit margins and all the math says to push into GAAS.

Again, nothin great is ever achieved without failure. If PlayStation played it safe and made single player games over the next 10 years they'd continue to be passed and lapped by their GAAS competitors. This is just where gaming is headed.

• haha
  • thinking_hard
Reactions: Umar and anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
That's not logical thinking though. It's irrational.

They do risk assessment on everything. They measure potential success rates with potential profit margins and all the math says to push into GAAS.

Again, nothin great is ever achieved without failure. If PlayStation played it safe and made single player games over the next 10 years they'd continue to be passed and lapped by their GAAS competitors. This is just where gaming is headed.
Did I say they need to abandon live service? Lol no, they need to reevaluate their metrics and Hermen's personal taste. Nearly every bet they've made has failed. Tbf it's very hard to succeed in live service right now with Western games. But Hermen is infamously rumored to have wanted to shutter PS's Japanese studios. He has a fantastic sense for single player games. He needs another person to evaluate live services. Just like Shuhei Yoshida is the goat for picking up indie games.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sloane_Ranger

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Did I say they need to abandon live service? Lol no, they need to reevaluate their metrics and Hermen's personal taste. Nearly every bet they've made has failed.
Helldivers 2 is the fastest selling PlayStation game in company history.
Concord flopped.

It sounds like every bet hasn't failed.
Tbf it's very hard to succeed in live service right now with Western games. But Hermen is infamously rumored to have wanted to shutter PS's Japanese studios. He has a fantastic sense for single player games. He needs another person to evaluate live services. Just like Shuhei Yoshida is the goat for picking up indie games.
This just reads like a desperate plea from someone who doesn't like GAAS. If Marathon and Concord flop, I'd be more open to your position, but right now you're trying to fire the head coach before the 2nd game of the season.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Concord flopped.

This just reads like a desperate plea from someone who doesn't like GAAS. If Marathon and Concord flop, I'd be more open to your position, but right now you're trying to fire the head coach before the 2nd game of the season.
No he told you Helldivers succeeded when Sony didn't actually anticipate it which means they need to evaluate their approach to GaaS.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Concord flopped.

Do you just not read? I said -nearly- and even in their one success they completely underestimated what they had.
Bruh, what? They already fired internal positions for naughty dog cancelling factions and likely the scrapping of twisted metal.

This is like pretending a team that is 1-12 despite having some of the best individual athletes in the league is doing fine. You need to replace the defensive coordinator or the offensive coach, or do some kind of shakeup. You can't continually fail for 4 years in business. It just can't happen.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
Do you just not read? I said -nearly- and even in their one success they completely underestimated what they had.
Well you ignored 3 GAAS successes (Helldiver 2, MLB The Show, GT7)
Bruh, what? They already fired internal positions for naughty dog cancelling factions and likely the scrapping of twisted metal.
They also grew a new internal team with Jason Blundell and started a new team to work on Gummy Bears.
This is like pretending a team that is 1-12 despite having some of the best individual athletes in the league is doing fine. You need to replace the defensive coordinator or the offensive coach, or do some kind of shakeup. You can't continually fail for 4 years in business. It just can't happen.
Suggesting that PlayStation is 1 - 12 after Helldivers 2 and Concord is hilarious. Let them release a few more games before judging. This is just common sense.

• thinking_hard

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Well you ignored 3 GAAS successes (Helldiver 2, MLB The Show, GT7)

They also grew a new internal team with Jason Blundell and started a new team to work on Gummy Bears.

Suggesting that PlayStation is 1 - 12 after Helldivers 2 and Concord is hilarious. Let them release a few more games before judging. This is just common sense.

ok how about this. Give me some evidence that Hermen can pick a successful gaas game out of a lineup. Any evidence. GT7 was always going to be made, that's what that studio does. MLB the show has been going for a long time and has been with san diego studio for far longer than Hermen has been head of WWS. Helldivers, again, they were completely unprepared for, showing that their analytics aren't capturing the market correctly.

You keep trying to defend Hermen's track record on gaas, you a relative or something? It makes no sense when looking at the objective facts.
*edit*
Also this is hilarious when I have thousands of hours in Genshin+ Zenless Zone Zero, over 450 in helldivers, and thousands more in other multiplayer games including mmos, mobile games, shooters like deep rock galactic.

Maybe you should save your urge to project your own insecurities on to others. GAAS is something I dislike for Sony first party simply because they aren't built for it, and I think they are fools to try to repurpose their first party studios into live service factories. That transition has never worked well. It also encourages greed and margin-running and destroys quality and effort. I like Genshin because the studio is privately owned and actually reinvests the money they make into the game and related media. I like service games that either respect your time and money by giving you a solid value for your money without charging $30 for a cosmetic or locking everything good behind a paid battle pass, or reinvest their profits into making the game better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
ok how about this. Give me some evidence that Hermen can pick a successful gaas game out of a lineup. Any evidence. GT7 was always going to be made, that's what that studio does. MLB the show has been going for a long time and has been with san diego studio for far longer than Hermen has been head of WWS. Helldivers, again, they were completely unprepared for, showing that their analytics aren't capturing the market correctly.
No, their analytics are showing that the MTX and updates are bringing in significantly more revenue from all 3 games. They like the extra money.

As for Hermans track record...it's silly to discuss as we don't know any projects that he greenlit himself.
You keep trying to defend Hermen's track record on gaas, you a relative or something? It makes no sense when looking at the objective facts.
Like the fact that they're making more money from GAAS than ever before? Those facts?

• haha

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
No, their analytics are showing that the MTX and updates are bringing in significantly more revenue from all 3 games. They like the extra money.
Like the fact that they're making more money from GAAS than ever before? Those facts?
show me the numbers from projects that playstation specifically partnered with in the last 4 years since Hermen has been in charge
As for Hermans track record...it's silly to discuss as we don't know any projects that he greenlit himself.

bruh this dude's gonna be waiting for 10 years to realize that hermen's failed, just like the xbox denialists all throughout the xbo gen hanging on to 'just wait til next year'

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
show me the numbers from projects that playstation specifically partnered with in the last 4 years since Hermen has been in charge
We don't have them. Only PlayStation has them and they're going hard into GAAS.
bruh this dude's gonna be waiting for 10 years to realize that hermen's failed, just like the xbox denialists all throughout the xbo gen hanging on to 'just wait til next year'
Well, when games take 6 years to make you're obviously going to work on a longer timeline.