Pushsquare: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
Man I bet a 150+ million $ SOCOM looks more appealing than whatever concord and fairgame$ are, Look at the hype for that Delta Force game. I predict space marine 2 to hit 500k+ CCU on steam alone just watch

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
>Sony needs a cash cow, because its single player games are costing too much and taking too long to make. The mistake it’s made is trying to force the initiative on a fanbase that’s disconnected after years of being kept in the dark.

This is the problem right here. Sony has typecast PlayStation as the single player, third-person action-adventure machine. But...what happens when that role starts producing diminishing returns? The answer was apparently a hard left turn into GAAS, but I think everyone knew that was going to be a disaster. Truth is, I don't know what the answer is for them but I hope they figure it out because their current AAA single player development strategy is unsustainable.
I agree. Their AAA SP games are costing too much to make. But, PS is making more profit than ever.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Oh they will.... after a long and deserved vacation, of course

PgT7FcI.jpg

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Apparently I'm a Sony shill or whatever now? I dunno can't keep up

At times I'm apparently a green rat on this site, other times a Sony shill? Can't keepy up

I guess liking Concord and not hating on Sony multiplayer games that isn't out as yet shouldn't be a thing?

Either way, who gives a shit with these weirdos
You got what you deserve for liking Concord 🤣

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I agree. Their AAA SP games are costing too much to make. But, PS is making more profit than ever.
It's proportional, AAA SP used to cost less but sell less ( 1 million copies was average). Now they sell 10 to 30 million copies. Cost is 3X-4X ps3 game, but sales are 10X

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
So he can’t like what he likes? Man ya’ll are weird. Lol
Lmao I don't think he's being serious just mocking the situation on this forum since he a few members clearly have some issues with me that stemmed from Concord 😅

Reactions: Luffy123

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I sure did! Next time I'll fall in line and suppress individuality... Gotta roll with the group think 😎

Didnt you know, you have to like Wu Kong because its anti woke…. Lets pay money to freedom fighting china, our true saviours lol

Reactions: Danja

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
>Sony needs a cash cow, because its single player games are costing too much and taking too long to make. The mistake it’s made is trying to force the initiative on a fanbase that’s disconnected after years of being kept in the dark.

This is the problem right here. Sony has typecast PlayStation as the single player, third-person action-adventure machine. But...what happens when that role starts producing diminishing returns? The answer was apparently a hard left turn into GAAS, but I think everyone knew that was going to be a disaster. Truth is, I don't know what the answer is for them but I hope they figure it out because their current AAA single player development strategy is unsustainable.
Sony has multiple cash cows: Horizon, Spider-Man, Gran Turismo, MLB, Destiny, God of War, GoT or more recently (even if need to address a bit their rebalancing decisions, something apparently are working on) Helldivers.

Uncharted too, if they would stop hating/replacing/removing white heterosexual male protagonists.

But the thing is that these games take nowadays 5-9 years to be made and costs keep rising, so they need more cash cows. To fill these long waits they develop more games at the same time, which also means more costs, so more revenue/cash cows needed.

They are diversifying their catalog via MP/GaaS like Destiny, GT, MLB, Helldivers etc., but also with non-GaaS SP games in other genres like Astro Bot for platformers, which looking at preorders and first impressions will be a homerun.

In platformers they had several IPs like Ratchet, which performed good/ok, but never have been a Mario-like cash cow. I think Astro Bot has potential to be their first platformer (and Japan Studio/Team Asobi game) to achieve 10M+ units sold.

I think they have to continue trying to expand approaching all the main genres with 1st party, all main game types: SP and MP, GaaS and non-GaaS, big and small games, stablished IPs and new ones, more mainstream ideas and more unique/innovative/weird ideas.

And once their expansion in GaaS and PC gets completed around 2026/2027, I think then they should also expand to mobile too: as did with PC ports or GaaS, keeping that mostly to other new dedicated teams, very experimented and experts on that area, while the previous ones can be focused on console and PC.

If Fairgame$ craters, Herman is cactus, along with the current direction
Nah, Condord may had bombed but they have a ton of successful projects and their revenue and profit are better than ever, and they are growing in most areas, where in most cases have all time record numbers.

To have failed projects from time to time is normal for big publishers. The important thing for big companies about fails -which they consider unavoidable- is to properly detect the issues that caused the fail, learn from them to address it in future projects and don't fall in the same pit again.

From Concord they should learn that it isn't a good idea to go too woke, to have more unique and appealing character design and artstyle, to differentiate more the gameplay, mechanics and game concept to don't compete too directly against a too saturated and too successful competition. Plus maybe to improve their marketing campaign to explain better why the game is cool and business model to don't make it feel more expensive than the competition when its in-game economy is way less agressive than a F2P game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kokoloko

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
It's proportional, AAA SP used to cost less but sell less ( 1 million copies was average). Now they sell 10 to 30 million copies. Cost is 3X-4X ps3 game, but sales are 10X
Wrong.

We know it's wrong because PlayStation never wanted to change directions. Change is difficult, expensive, and carries higher risk.

Why would a successful publisher like PlayStation change and pursue GAAS?

I'll tell you. Because the metrics they saw pursuing only AAA SP games were dire. The single player industry has plateaued for years now, while the GAAS market continues growing.

Reactions: Dr. E99

Dr. E99

1 Sep 2024
Wrong.

We know it's wrong because PlayStation never wanted to change directions. Change is difficult, expensive, and carries higher risk.

Why would a successful publisher like PlayStation change and pursue GAAS?

I'll tell you. Because the metrics they saw pursuing only AAA SP games were dire. The single player industry has plateaued for years now, while the GAAS market continues growing.

This is the correct answer. Shawn Layden himself even said that Sony's AAA development strategy was not sustainable. Law of diminishing returns and all that.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
The question is. If fairgames is a Concord type flop, does he get canned? Sony is still a Japanese company, and unlike Xbox, idk if they will continue to tolerate things like this.
They already canned Connie Booth for the GaaS initiative imploding and then promoted Hermen after... So no he won't be fired unfortunately unless studios like Naughty Dog, SSM, Guerrilla start to really implode