Pushsquare: PlayStation Needs to Take a Long, Hard Look at Itself

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

A lot of truth bombs.
The article includes several lies or who wrote it ignores that:
  • Gran Turismo 7, MLB and Destiny 2 are very successful GaaS
  • Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst didn't greenlight Concord, Sony signed it minimum in 2018
  • Hermen Hust was promoted to be head of PS Studios because Horizon Forbidden West was their best selling game ever, and was promoted to co-CEO of SIE because he is the most successful head of PS Studios (previously known as Worldwide Studios) ever breaking many records
  • Concord's fail is an ultra rare exception, most SIE games have been very successful in recent times. They even broke sales records with 4 games released in the last 4 years.

Problem with sonys GAAS push(specifically concord) is they are chasing old trends.

They did something unique with Helldivers 2 and then you have markets like anime GAAS which has room for more players. But Sony want to waste time on a tired genre.
Both hero shooters and team based PvP FPS aren't old trends, continue being super popular.

Games like Overwatch, Valorant, Rainbow Six Siege, Apex Legends, Marvel Rivals, CS, CoD are very popular as of today.

If something, I'd say the issue was the opposite: these games are too popular as of today and is very difficult to compete against them.

Concord wasn't able to appeal that audience because had unappealing characters and didn't differentiate it enough with appealing gameplay concepts or mechanics appealing enough for that audience to steal it.

Last edited:
  • haha
Reactions: Kokoloko and arvfab

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
One of the most successful companies in videogame history suddenly got greedy and stupid?

No, I don't think it works that way.
It works exactly that way. Or have you forgotten the PS3 launch?

What about the 3DS launch? Or the Wii U? To not stay focused only on Sony/PlayStation.

What about the X360 post-Kinect launch?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
One of the most successful companies in videogame history suddenly got greedy and stupid?

No, I don't think it works that way.
But that's exactly what happened? The suits beholden to Shareholders started taking notice during the latter half of PS4 era when the department was raking in tons of money

They have totally hijacked the brand and has been demanding endless profit growth all generation.

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
It works exactly that way. Or have you forgotten the PS3 launch?

What about the 3DS launch? Or the Wii U? To not stay focused only on Sony/PlayStation.

What about the X360 post-Kinect launch?
Overall, PlayStations success rate is arguably better than anyone else in the industry. They have access to data and analytics that you couldn't dream of.

I think I'm taking the strategic mind of PlayStation over some random GAAS haters on the internet. No offense.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
But that's exactly what happened? The suits beholden to Shareholders started taking notice during the latter half of PS4 era when the department was raking in tons of money

They have totally hijacked the brand and has been demanding endless profit growth all generation.
This has always been the case. PlayStation has always strived to pursue growth investment. Shareholders always influenced the trajectory of PlayStation. This didn't start at the end of the PS4 generation.

Some people are just upset that that growth of GAAS has been a phenomenon over the last 10 years and are afraid of what the next 10 years look like.

• haha

peewee78368

Banned
3 Feb 2024
We all knew this but i feel sony was feeling the group who was saying they need to do more then the last of us 2 and so on funny how then they made money hand over fist not can barley break the bank.... no one asked for fuking concord all i wanted and my casual friends was last of us 2 online then u canned it lol we good

Reactions: Bryank75

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
No offense.

No offense taken.

Overall, PlayStations success rate is arguably better than anyone else in the industry.

Of course, because they had their focus on single-player, exclusive games for the majority of their history. That's the reason of their success.

Everytime they lost their focus on it, the market pushed them again on that course, so they got successful again.

And the problem is not GaaS per se, as PlayStation always had either fully GaaS or SP with added multiplayer.

Now they are pushing GaaS because they want the PC whales, neglecting their main userbase.

This will bite them in the arse sooner rather than later.

They have access to data and analytics that you couldn't dream of.

Worked wonders with Concord!
With all that data and analytics, they still sold SOE ...

GAAS has been a phenomenon over the last 10 years

... less than 10 years ago. Genius!

Reactions: Bryank75

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Sony's 1st mistake is announcing a huge gaas push with 12 games like idiots. This made people hate Concord and Fairgame$ before they even released. Fairgame$ will suffer a similar fate and maybe Marathon as well. People like Microsoft does not want Sony to be successful in gaas and will dispatch astroturfers every chance they get. Might as well cancel Fairgame$ now.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Sony's 1st mistake is announcing a huge gaas push with 12 games like idiots. This made people hate Concord and Fairgame$ before they even released. Fairgame$ will suffer a similar fate and maybe Marathon as well. People like Microsoft does not want Sony to be successful in gaas and will dispatch astroturfers every chance they get. Might as well cancel Fairgame$ now.
Absolutely! Jim Ryan was outta pocket for setting the tone this generation with how he announced the GaaS initiative. It rubbed me the wrong as well at the time and I'm still mad they fucked the entire generation and disrupted the pipeline of PlayStation Studios only to watch it go up in smoke.

However it's also wild to see PlayStation fans actively working to screw over the brand and aiding astroturfing campaigns

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
However it's also wild to see PlayStation fans actively working to screw over the brand and aiding astroturfing campaigns
That's the difference between Sony and Xbox fans. PS fans actually criticize stuff. If this was an Xbox product, you'd have every single on of their shills running defense on the game.

Reactions: Shmunter and arvfab

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's the difference between Sony and Xbox fans. PS fans actually criticize stuff. If this was an Xbox product, you'd have every single on of their shills running defense on the game.
I mean you're preaching to the choir here bud! I do criticize them a lot, but I am not talking about criticism here. I am talking about propagating smear campaigns against the brand out of spite.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It absolutely set the stage for failure.

If isn't even how you should go about making games.

Games should be made because the idea justifies the investment and it has huge potential. Maybe it fills a niche or it's a cool new twist that nobody else has thought of....

But just saying "this trend makes all the money and we have to do the same as them" is a recipe for disaster in gaming, especially with the long dev cycle.

peter42O

Veteran
12 Jan 2024
Concord bombing even worse than Redfall is similar in that no one will give a fuck or remember it when the next big game releases. Once Starfield released, I forgot all about Redfall as did Microsoft earlier this year. Never cared about Concord but Sony forgot about it in less than two weeks and they know they have a superior game in Astro Bot launching in two days which instead of people playing that on their PlayStation 5, they will for some odd reason still be bitching about Concord or whatever the case may be. lol

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
Concord bombing even worse than Redfall is similar in that no one will give a fuck or remember it when the next big game releases. Once Starfield released, I forgot all about Redfall as did Microsoft earlier this year. Never cared about Concord but Sony forgot about it in less than two weeks and they know they have a superior game in Astro Bot launching in two days which instead of people playing that on their PlayStation 5, they will for some odd reason still be bitching about Concord or whatever the case may be. lol
Asteobot is not exactly setting the charts on fire either, releases in just 2 days and not even in the PSN top 10. This is a game normally given away for free and now charging $60 for it. The physical copy is ranked on Amazon top 100 at least.

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Truth is, I don't know what the answer is for them but I hope they figure it out because their current AAA single player development strategy is unsustainable.
Their AAA sell 10+ millions each, some of them 20+ millions. And they are one of the reason why people buy their consoles. The most hardcore gamers buy fuck ton of consoles because of them. Their mascots promote the PS brand too.

It is sustainable for Sony to keep making them because it's not about making a profit with the actual game. It's for the whole ecosystem. Sony lost track of this the last few years and they are chasing the wrong crowd.

10+ millions on 1 platform is way more than what EA or Ubisoft is selling from their SP games and nobody is crying for Ubisoft/EA.

Reactions: Kokoloko and Johnic

Men_in_Boxes

18 Aug 2024
No offense taken.

Of course, because they had their focus on single-player, exclusive games for the majority of their history. That's the reason of their success.
This is too vague of an assessment. Increase your clarity and this is what you'll find...

PS1 - Very little 1st party investment. Focus on catering the 3rd parties.
PS2 - Very little 1st party investment. Focus on catering to 3rd parties.
PS3 - Sony begins to invest in AAA SP and output of these games during the 2nd half of the generation improves dramatically.
PS4 - Sony maintains industry leading AAA single player first party output. Though Shawn Layden notices that margins for these game types are headed for brick wall.

PlayStation has always read the market and played it smartly. Now that GAAS is the dominant form of gaming, PlayStation wants to lead the industry there too.
Everytime they lost their focus on it, the market pushed them again on that course, so they got successful again.
They really only focused on AAA single player investment during the later half of PS3 gen and the PS4 gen. About a 10 - 12 year stretch.
And the problem is not GaaS per se, as PlayStation always had either fully GaaS or SP with added multiplayer.

Now they are pushing GaaS because they want the PC whales, neglecting their main userbase.
It's not just the PC whales. PlayStation has data showing them PlayStation owners overwhelmingly prefer GAAS multiplayer too.
This will bite them in the arse sooner rather than later.
It didn't with Helldivers 2.
It did with Concord.

SpaceX continues to make mistakes with rocket failures but they've progressed so much as a company over the last 15 years.

GAAS is their rocket.
Worked wonders with Concord!
With all that data and analytics, they still sold SOE ...
Nothing great is ever built or achieved without failure. The GAAS apparatus was always going to suffer losses in order to take PlayStation into the future.

• haha

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Absolutely! Jim Ryan was outta pocket for setting the tone this generation with how he announced the GaaS initiative. It rubbed me the wrong as well at the time and I'm still mad they fucked the entire generation and disrupted the pipeline of PlayStation Studios only to watch it go up in smoke.

Lol, if Sony abandon them, they abandon Sony. It's a simple equation.
The Concordial catastrophe will be taught in business schools for next decades.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Lol, if Sony abandon them, they abandon Sony. It's a simple equation.
The Concordial catastrophe will be taught in business schools for next decades.
It really won't... Concord was massive failure and they and everyone but a few will eventually move on.