Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

How do you rate the State of play?

• A

Votes: 29 38.7%
  • B

Votes: 34 45.3%
  • C

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Not many surprises. Death Stranding looked stunning. No Concord gameplay. Still no announcements from prestige teams. 7/10.

historia

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
C

Dark Souls II-2 look good, not sure how it would play but knowing Kojima, probably gonna make no sense but eh, whatever.

2 PSVR2 titles that looking good. Finally some contents to expect in 24

Rise Ronin combat look fun, what I expect. Hope the side contents and world gonna be good. Gun parry gonna funnnnn.

Not sure how to feel about SH2 and SB but I am not expecting much so eh.

Also I hyped for Judas. Hopefully Levine doesn't disappoint after being on hiatus for so long.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Gonna watch it now. I was moving accomodation today.
Sounds like some good stuff and and bad news too (Death Stranding 2 2025…)

Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
- Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin looked mid at best.
- Helldiver 2 looked fine.
- Until Dawn remake for PC looks seems like a joke.
- Death Stranding 2 looked great but it's a 2025 (I consider this bad news).
- Silent Hill 2 by Bloober looked like shit.

Sony lineup for the second half of 2024 and 2025 and beyond look unbelievably bad compared to what we had (both released and announced) at this same point last gen.

I would give this a C if Sony had been on a roll with Showcases and SoPs in the past few years but as things are, this gets an F.

PlayStation Studios are in a terrible state and are now extremely unproductive, Hermen Hulst, you suck bro.

edit: forgot about the Metro VR, that looked potentially really good.
edit2: I have been banned from this thread.

Havent watched the show yet but ROR is gonna be good if you like Nioh/Team Ninja games. Way deeper RPG/interaction with NPC elements than Ghost of Tsushima for sure

Reactions: Bryank75

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just finished watching it. B- or C+ for me. Probably the best state of play so far and actually enjoyed it compared to the others. Not a Showcase I know so I kept my expectations in check.

The reason I don’t give it a solid B is because of the release date disappointments. Death Stranding 2 and Silent Hill 2 not making 2024 sucks. Plus no Concord gameplay or anything new from PS studios but TBH I wasn’t expecting it at a State of Play.

But Kojima announcing a new exclusive for PS is amazing for me. And makes me happy they are carrying on that relationship. Lets hope the same is said about Miyazaki.
As its already too far into the generation they are better off leaving the next Kojima title as a PS6 exclusive which is disappointing. If it starts production in 2025, no way its done before 2027/2028/2029. Death Stranding came out 2019, so 2025 would make it 6 years. But a cross gen title would be even more disappointing.

-Helldivers 2, I wasn’t a fan of the first and ill see what my friends think before I buy it as its a multiplayer game.

-Stellar blade looks sweet. Glad it is more than just hack n slash. NPC interactions and missions always make things deeper for me. So definitely buying this

-Dave the Diver and V Rising look like my type of indie games. Will be buying those. Exclusive?

-Foamstars. Shame I cant download Foamstars as I cant log into my account from abroad (UK sim card doesnt work) so will have to maybe buy if its actually good. Also cant buy Stellar blade, FF7 and ROR for that reason until I return home.

-Silent Hill 2 looked fine. Not great, I remember it being alot darker. No 2024 date really sucks. If they nail the gunplay controls it should be good.

-Judas. Im a big fan of Bioshock so definitely looking forward to it. Day 1 for me. Need a 1st person game like this again. PS5 exclusive? Less impressive if its multiplatform as the exclusive Bioshock game was rumoured years ago.

-Metro Awakening being VR only is great, looks nice. Ill be buying it with the PSVR2 later this year. Still want HLA though lol

-Legendary tales looks like decent gameplay too. Graphics not so much lol

-Sonic X Shadow…..Yes please. Generations was probably the best Sonic game outside of Mania for years and years

-ROR is day 1 for me anyway. If you know you know. ( Bryan knows why Im fond of it lol)

-Until dawn PS5…Meh. Seriously wish it was a supermassive exclusive. Another studio Sony should of bought and wasted there opportunity. So that just sucked And reminded me how silly PS heads are at times.

-Death Stranding 2….. Amazing…. I loved the original, this looks awesome. Looks truly next gen. I could of done without a sequel tbh, it had a happy ending and Im guessing this is gonna go the opposite. But it looked fantastic and will be there midnight day 0.

I hope the gunplay is better than the original. It was a step down from MGS5/4's gunplay.

Plus fuck Higgs, wish he stayed dead. And his guitar looks stupid.

-New Kojima exclusive. Best part of the show for me, bad part it looks years away and wish it was here sooner. Starts production 2025…..wish they gave him the tools to start sooner.

Overall it was good, nice show for a state of play. But at the same time it showed 2024 is gonna be a bleak year from PS studios. Possibly only Concord which is a multiplayer game. That really isn’t good enough in PS5’S 3rd/4th year.

Out of the 15+ internal PS studios, we’re getting 2 games overall from the PS studios from 2023 and in 2024, Spiderman 2 and Concord. One being a multiplayer game…. Thats dire. Asobi, ND, Sucker Punch, Bend, MediaMolecule, London, Bluepoint, HouseMarque….Dont tell me they were helping the other studios, not interesting, or Porting PC ports and remasters… not interested in those excuses.

Sony really needs to buy some more studios and Studios like Guerrilla, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch and ND need multiple studios and multiple projects running at the same time like Insomniac does. If the main studios were developing multiple games like Insomniac, we’d all be eating alot better. Hopefully the Showcase proves me totally wrong later this, lets hope so

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Hopefully sony are throwing a bunch of money at Miyazaki as well

I mean, it sucks waiting so long for games but when we do get them at least they aren’t turds. It just takes a while to make quality shit, even buying more studios doesn’t really guarantee that, look at Redfall for example.

I think this was a great state of play to kick off the year with a showcase hopefully in May to give us a deluge of first party titles but theres enough to play over the next 3 months

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
What do you mean? Why not use the PS App?
Cant log into it without my UK Sim card I think? 2 step verification etc. I normally get a code send to my phone and then can log in. My UK sim doesnt work in Japan

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hopefully sony are throwing a bunch of money at Miyazaki as well
I really really hope so.

I mean, it sucks waiting so long for games but when we do get them at least they aren’t turds. It just takes a while to make quality shit, even buying more studios doesn’t really guarantee that, look at Redfall for example.
Sony need to organise the rest of the studios like they have with insomniac. Multiple studios within Insomniac, directors and projects at the same time. That why we got Spiderman, Spiderman MM, Ratchet and Clank, Spiderman 2 so close to each other and work done on Wolverine.
Only a non fan doesnt want this for the other studios.

For exmaple, I hope Cory Balrogs game has been in development before God of War Ragnarok finished.
I hope ND has worked on there other game before cancelling factions ( supposedly only a small team was working on Factions so why not)
Sucker Punch should have another small studio making Sly Cooper or working on Infamous 4/Remake etc.
As well as each studio making a multiplayer game for variety

I think this was a great state of play to kick off the year with a showcase hopefully in May to give us a deluge of first party titles but theres enough to play over the next 3 months
Agreed. I just want more news like Kojima’s next project, we know its years away but it shows stuff is being worked on and planned etc. Way better than being radio silent

Last edited:

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Cant log into it without my UK Sim card I think? 2 step verification etc. I normally get a code send to my phone and then can log in. My UK sim doesnt work in Japan
Ah I see. Should usually work, might have to pay a small fee for the SMS maybe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you have any previous billing mails from store purchases, you could try to contact customer support and see if they can help you.

Nevertheless, once you can, you should change 2FA to use an authenticator app instead of SMS. I switched to it once I found out it was possible. Never have to rely on them sending the SMS now.

Reactions: Kokoloko