Resident Evil 4 Remake | Xbox Series S/X - PS5 - PC | Graphics Comparison | Chainsaw Demo

Remij

Banned
10 Jul 2022
It's not VRS, it's checkerboarding. Zoom in on Leon's hair, you can see the artifacts like crazy. It's probably 1080p->4k checkerboarding which is why it looks so shitty on the ps5.
Checkerboading produces a stipled effect along the edges of geometry... this is not the same as that.. it's far more of a macro-blocky type issue encountered with VRS.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Is that why the framerates a lot more stable?
Yeah definitely

Checkerboading produces a stipled effect along the edges of geometry... this is not the same as that.. it's far more of a macro-blocky type issue encountered with VRS.
Screenshot 2023-03-12 04.05.25.png

Nah man it's definitely checkerboarding, you wouldn't get that cross/striped artifacting pattern with VRS. DF even said that they were adding checkerboarding to RE engine games.
Link

Last edited:
Reactions: Lord Mittens

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Working Super Troopers GIF
Watching Spy Kids GIF

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
It's not VRS, it's checkerboarding. Zoom in on Leon's hair, you can see the artifacts like crazy. It's probably 1080p->4k checkerboarding which is why it looks so shitty on the ps5.
but if you enable strand hair, the hair pixelisation is gone

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I switch off VRR on my set. Get either ghosting or duller image. While subtle, not too many titles on ps5 drop enough for me to make the compromise…
Really? On my TV VRR works very well, I have no complaints. What is your set?

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
So the demo asks you to pick between Resolution and Performance, doesn't offer any explanation on what they aim to do.

Both target 60fps
There's hidden graphical options in the menu for hair and RT.

That's dumb

Devs should just stick to 30fps and 60fps modes (and VRR option if 120hz TV) and figure out the best graphical options for their game. Stop fucking around with added toggles in the menu for console games, we would get a PC if we wanted to spend time in a menu instead of actually playing the game.
There’s a simple solution to all those options triggering you.

Ignore them.

• angry
Reactions: Ezekiel

Mr Moose

22 Jun 2022
Whelp, i have direct feed captures from my own devices with the exact same settings on both and the SX has a little bit of a visual advantage. Not sure how elemopee videos have a different result but I guess some people don't trust him for that reason. The difference is there in both resolution and frame rate mode.

Again, these are direct feed PNGs as captured by both consoles screenshot functionality.

residentevil4chainsawaoi0t.png

residentevil4chainsaw5zc64.png

jchjkafsrido.gif

-

In addition to the above, VRR doesn't seem to engage properly on the PS5 demo. Resolution mode especially chugs a lot. Xbox version runs how VRR should.

In performance mode both feel extremely smooth regardless.

Hoping DF has a video out at or before launch day. The deadzone issue is very notable and if that's better in the launch day patch, the Xbox version is a no brainer of the two for me as it stands. Otherwise, the game just flat out controls better on PS5 based on the demo.
What screen do you have? I think VRR is working fine on mine, it's bouncing between 53 and 60 in the opening part, running towards the first house (res mode) and seems stable 60 inside the house (according to the numbers on my TV).

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
What screen do you have? I think VRR is working fine on mine, it's bouncing between 53 and 60 in the opening part, running towards the first house (res mode) and seems stable 60 inside the house (according to the numbers on my TV).

I game on a PC monitor. 32in, 4K, 120hz. It supports VRR on both PS5 and SX and generally works well everywhere but in this particular demo it feels like it isn't on PS5, the juddering, especially in resolution mode, is very clear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Moose

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I rather not play the demo until they patch it to PSVR2.
Since REVII it is the only way I play RE games.
This game is not first person and there’s too many melee interactions so I don’t it’ll have a VR mode.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I game on a PC monitor. 32in, 4K, 120hz. It supports VRR on both PS5 and SX and generally works well everywhere but in this particular demo it feels like it isn't on PS5, the juddering, especially in resolution mode, is very clear.
Game runs fine for me on all modes and I haven’t seen any judder, maybe it’s your screen.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022