Returnal: Very small release on Steam, with peak players below 6,000

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
i am talking about all games, not just few. there is whole market beyond AAA.
but maybe i need to recheck, maybe situation changed. didn't play PC for ages.

I know that. But games using the latest denuvo are being cracked months if not years after release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
The issue with Returnal is that it doesn't carry same high-value name and branding such as God of War and The Last of Us. When anyone mentions those 2 names in gaming, they get instantly recognized and talked about. Returnal is a fantastic title, but it's on a much smaller scale unlike those 2 and the game's screenshots or videos don't make it as epic as the other titles. It's an arcade title that serves a certain niche.

I am glad it exists on PC and more people get introduced to it and experience it. Many people even were skeptical when it was coming out originally on PS5. But it reviewed well. I think the marketing for it was poor overall and not many people know of Housemarque I feel like and their style of games.

D

Deleted member 417

I'm of the belief that Sony only port to PC for free marketing. I would assume it is cheaper to pay a studio to port a game than it is to do a full marketing campaign, including the organic discussions online. With the added benefit of recouping some of those costs.

Release Horizon 2 on PC before dropping the DLC on PS5 and the word of mouth speaks for itself. Maybe, Sony don't want to add Denouvo because of the performance hit, making their game looks worse, when a pirated game that is positively received, wins them more in good will?

As we've seen, money cannot buy the market, only positive word of mouth and quality experiences can.

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Sony's PC strategy will never not be embarrassing. Dilute your brand from feeling exclusive all for meager sales and pirated games. It's the one stain on Jim Ryan's otherwise fine leadership. He'd be wise to pump the brakes on further PC releases and pretend like Sony never went that route.

Mind you it's not just Returnal, high profile first party like Uncharted also flopped on PC, as well as Sackboy. It's just such a pointless business move that doesn't make sense for any non multiplayer games.
I hate to tell you this but the days of exclusivity is going away sooner or later. I can easily see a future where Sony starts selling Day 1 for PC as well. Also, their investment in Bungie is further proof of that I think. GaaS multiplayer titles need as many players as possible to stay afloat.

So I wouldn't be surprised if TLOU Factions (assuming it's GaaS, which it sounds like it will be one of the first) or the new Bungie GaaS game will launch on PC day 1 as well and use crossplay to have a strong player base off the get go so they can brag about the numbers the game is pulling and it's popularity. At least that would be the smart move to do so anyways.

I think Uncharted didn't sell well because it was already such an old game and everyone who wanted to play it already did.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
I hate to tell you this but the days of exclusivity is going away sooner or later. I can easily see a future where Sony starts selling Day 1 for PC as well. Also, their investment in Bungie is further proof of that I think. GaaS multiplayer titles need as many players as possible to stay afloat.

So I wouldn't be surprised if TLOU Factions (assuming it's GaaS, which it sounds like it will be one of the first) or the new Bungie GaaS game will launch on PC day 1 as well and use crossplay to have a strong player base off the get go so they can brag about the numbers the game is pulling and it's popularity. At least that would be the smart move to do so anyways.

I think Uncharted didn't sell well because it was already such an old game and everyone who wanted to play it already did.
LOL

Coming from an Xbox shill, the claim exclusivity is going away is fucking rich.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
PC "gamers" A.K.A Terrorists demands:

1. Day 1 release date parity
2. Must be on Steam
3. Must be verified for "The Deck" (I cringe everytime i hear this) A.K.A Steam Brick
4. Must be the better performing version so they can gloat
5. Price must be free (99% of them are stealing the game)
6. No Denuvo, devs must make it easier for them to steal the game

now rinse and repeat for every game made by Sony, Nintendo, and MS. Anything less and you're a toxic "gatekeeper" of games

I will never not hate these people. Encourage everyone to treat these thieves with as little respect as possible, they really deserve to be told off as often as possible and reminded how bad they suck. They're no different than petty criminals.

Last edited:

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
Sony never brag about numbers. They rarely even release sales figures for games, even if they sell millions. As for popularity, I don't think they're struggling in that department at all.
There is no issue with bragging about numbers. Anytime a company has a successful product and sales they will always talk about it. It happend with TLOU 2 and plenty of other titles. That is what I mean bragging about numbers. I'd be more worried and concerned if they did not brag about numbers, that's usually a bad sign.

Bragging about numbers put them in a good light and gives the company a momentum. You know what I meant, don't try to twist the narrative here. GaaS games need good light and numbers as much as possible, it's how they strive and survive.

• haha
D

Deleted member 417

Bragging about numbers put them in a good light and gives the company a momentum. You know what I meant, don't try to twist the narrative here. GaaS games need good light and numbers as much as possible, it's how they strive and survive.
I didn't know what you meant. I've been trying to find current sales figures for Sony 1st party games and it isn't easy. Most are tracked for a bit, or until a milestone, then there's nothing.

GaaS should stand on their merits. If they're good, they will survive, if not they die. Giving out numbers of a game to convince people it's popular isn't a recipe for success. People didn't buy a Wii because 100 million people already had one.

• they're_right_you_know

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There is no issue with bragging about numbers. Anytime a company has a successful product and sales they will always talk about it. It happend with TLOU 2 and plenty of other titles. That is what I mean bragging about numbers. I'd be more worried and concerned if they did not brag about numbers, that's usually a bad sign.

Much like how your lord and saviour brags about MAUs, then it’s discovered he was lying through his teeth about them?

Elder Legend

10 Jan 2023
I didn't know what you meant. I've been trying to find current sales figures for Sony 1st party games and it isn't easy. Most are tracked for a bit, or until a milestone, then there's nothing.

GaaS should stand on their merits. If they're good, they will survive, if not they die. Giving out numbers of a game to convince people it's popular isn't a recipe for success. People didn't buy a Wii because 100 million people already had one.
People bought a Wii because it was the cheapest out of the 3 and the motion control gimmick also helped selling it and of course the brand name Nuntendo. It was a much easier sell for the adults to buy a new toy for the holidays for their kids. I personally didn't like the Wii or the Wii U. I much proffered the Gamecube and the Switch. But sadly, Gamecube was considered one of their worst consoles if I am not mistaken?

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 417

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
People bought a Wii because it was the cheapest out of the 3 and the motion control gimmick also helped selling it and of course the brand name Nuntendo. It was a much easier sell for the adults to buy a new toy for the holidays for their kids. I personally didn't like the Wii or the Wii. I much proffered the Gamecube and the Switch. But sadly, Gamecube was considered one of their worst consoles if I am not mistaken?
He’s acknowledging he could be mistaken?

Who is he and what has he done with the real Elder Legend?

• haha
Reactions: Darth Vader
D

Deleted member 417

People bought a Wii because it was the cheapest out of the 3 and the motion control gimmick also helped selling it and of course the brand name Nuntendo. It was a much easier sell for the adults to buy a new toy for the holidays for their kids. I personally didn't like the Wii or the Wii. I much proffered the Gamecube and the Switch. But sadly, Gamecube was considered one of their worst consoles if I am not mistaken?
The Wii was terrible, but its' success led to Microsoft using Kinect to chase the now massive motion control crowd. Sony brushed off the eye-toy and made some shiny dildos for it. The Wii made motion controlling popular, but yeah you are right in that it was a cheap toy for the younger kids, backed up with the cartoony graphics of Nintendo. The wine mums helped out the sales as they used it for fitness training. Very few games bought one to game on, other than out of curiosity.

The GameCube is the best Nintendo console but couldn't compete with PS2, Sega and Microsoft. Especially after Nintendo did what they said they weren't going to do; move from cartridges to CDs, so they refused to pay the big players for the rights to normal CD's, which cocked everything up for them.

KiryuRealty

28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
The Wii was terrible, but its' success led to Microsoft using Kinect to chase the now massive motion control crowd. Sony brushed off the eye-toy and made some shiny dildos for it. The Wii made motion controlling popular, but yeah you are right in that it was a cheap toy for the younger kids, backed up with the cartoony graphics of Nintendo. The wine mums helped out the sales as they used it for fitness training. Very few games bought one to game on, other than out of curiosity.

The GameCube is the best Nintendo console but couldn't compete with PS2, Sega and Microsoft. Especially after Nintendo did what they said they weren't going to do; move from cartridges to CDs, so they refused to pay the big players for the rights to normal CD's, which cocked everything up for them.
Ah, the stupid “Move is a dildo! DERP!” cliche.

Anyone who says that doesn’t know what a dildo is.

Move looks like a light-up version of the Hitachi Magic Wand, a far classier sex toy.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022

Agreed, it looked more like a vibrator

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

• they're_right_you_know
D

Deleted member 417

Ah, the stupid “Move is a dildo! DERP!” cliche.

Move looks like a light-up version of the Hitachi Magic Wand, a far classier sex toy.
Bravo. You had me going with the first two lines but that third one is just *chefs kiss*.