Returnal: Very small release on Steam, with peak players below 6,000

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
i'm hoping for a brand to fail on a platform that it has no business releasing on, yes. Why wouldn't I? If people wanted to play The last of us remake they should have to buy a PS5. Now they're going to be able to get it for free on pirate sites come March and then gloat about it having a low peak player count while they are all playing trash tier 2d games like Vampire Survivor. Playstation didn't become the number 1 console by being multi platform. Nintendo knows to never put their first party on PC platforms, Jim Ryan either needs to take the hint or risk losing the exclusive prestige that Playstation 1st party built for themselves.
That was then, this is now. The world and industry is changing and exclusives are going away one way or another. Nothing stays forever the same. Guess you might as well quit the hobby. Its clear as blue sky that you are not happy with the way things are going. No one is ruining anything for you. It's not anyone's fault if you choose to live in fanboy fantasy land.

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 417

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
This strategy of releasing on PC only makes sense to me if they're using it as marketing for a PS5 sequel, and trying to attract new players to the console ecosystem. They have succeeded in attracting new players but only they'll know to what extent this contributed. I don't think releasing exclusives on PC for other reasons, like generating a bit of extra revenue, is worthwhile given that the PC market is in direct competition to consoles.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
that denuvo crap really makes me laugh. They really get upset when they see that. It's not enough for them to steal the game, they demand the devs make it as easy as possible too!
Nah it has to do with the stuttering that denuvo introduces in a lot of games, and the fact that it kills performance. Meaning, pirates get a better game experience than people who pay for the game. Unfortunately other drm isn't that effective, but pc players mostly don't complain about them these days.

Bodycount611

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
Nah it has to do with the stuttering that denuvo introduces in a lot of games, and the fact that it kills performance. Meaning, pirates get a better game experience than people who pay for the game. Unfortunately other drm isn't that effective, but pc players mostly don't complain about them these days.
UE4 seems to be responsible for the stutter, no? Looks like the engine just isn't suited for PC, and since developers don't take PC seriously and just consider it a dumping ground platform, the issue has gone unresolved and will remain that way until UE5.

PC isn't a priority.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
UE4 seems to be responsible for the stutter, no? Looks like the engine just isn't suited for PC, and since developers don't take PC seriously and just consider it a dumping ground platform, the issue has gone unresolved and will remain that way until UE5.

PC isn't a priority.
There's all sorts of shit that causes stuttering on pc. Ue4 is one of them, denuvo is another one.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty