Richard Leadbetter (Digital Foundry): Why the return of 30fps console games is inevitable

D

Deleted member 13

After Horizon Forbidden West and the upcoming God of War Ragnarok along with Forza Horizon 5, do people really need better looking games? Majority are already a 10/10 in visuals. We're not watching movies, we're playing games and I would think most would prefer the performance over the visuals because if the gameplay is bad, it's not going to matter how great a game looks.
Agree but there is a point of dimishing returns.

Reactions: peter42O

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I think there will be more choice. Ratchet and Clank, Demon Souls etc. Both Next gen games, have 30/60fps options. Both look pretty good

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Hah! Bullshit..

If a 8 core 16 threads CPU "can't" deliver 60fps, people on PC have a problem.

Above 90% of games this gen will have a performance mode.
The PS5 CPU is a capped Zen 2 8 cores 16 threads CPU that performs like Zen 1.
Anyway Zen 2 CPUs have issues on PC to run 4k/60fps in gaming.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Ratchet is designed exactly like I said. You can't name a single graphics feature that's in R&C that's not anywhere else. I love it when you guys give me these hyperbolic statements with absolutely 0 evidence to support your sentence - making it a complete subjective argument.
What last gen game has ray tracing?

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
6yfbmo.jpg

• haha
Reactions: Deleted member 51

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
I hope people now understand that there is a lack of bandwidth for the consoles this generation (similar to the last). The games tax the hardware significantly where even the highest end GPUs need DLSS in order to perform well. I said before that the consoles were maxed out already 2yrs in and that things won't get drastically different going forward. People who thought they would get games looking like UE5 demo running at 4k/60FPS will be sorely disappointed. Given the time frame in-between sequels, we won't be seeing significant jumps in graphics with 4k/60FPS until next generation (i.e. PS6, XSX 2).
I still think we'll get a big leap and 30fps will get us there, graphically speaking

Hobbygaming

27 Jun 2022
After Horizon Forbidden West and the upcoming God of War Ragnarok along with Forza Horizon 5, do people really need better looking games? Majority are already a 10/10 in visuals. We're not watching movies, we're playing games and I would think most would prefer the performance over the visuals because if the gameplay is bad, it's not going to matter how great a game looks.
30fps doesn't equate to bad gameplay though imo. I understand others might feel differently. And better looking games is always wanted

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
goalpost moving again. can you stay on topic at least? instead of derailing thread and blame - urr durr console warriors?
How is that a goalpost move or off topic? A question was asked, and subsequently answered with exactly what said user was seeking.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How is that a goalpost move or off topic? A question was asked, and subsequently answered with exactly what said user was seeking.

The PC is generation agnostic. If you wanted to not be a smartass you could have said that Crysis remastered runs with ray tracing on the One X and PS4 pro. That's the only last gen title that has RT on consoles.

Reactions: riesgoyfortuna

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
It was discussed about console games. But you had to inject yourself into discussion with PC.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
I said before that the consoles were maxed out already 2yrs in and that things won't get drastically different going forward.

Not true. Since the 7th gen we've seen firmware updates on both XB and PS throughout their lifespan that limit their OSs and give more headroom to their games.

Furthermore consoles are closed ecosystems as opposed to PCs. We have seen PS3s run Skyrim, 360s run Titanfall and PS4s run Uncharted 4, a few examples from the top of my head. If you imply we've seen it all from Series X/PS5, you are mistaken. Nothing that i say can prove my point and until proven otherwise you may feel you are right, do keep an eye open on the next 5 years and you'll see why it really is too soon to make such statements. Previous generations have showed us this much at least.

PS. A shoutout to "PCMR" claimers. You are the Hitlers of gaming, nobody likes you.

25 Jul 2022
I hope people now understand that there is a lack of bandwidth for the consoles this generation (similar to the last). The games tax the hardware significantly where even the highest end GPUs need DLSS in order to perform well. I said before that the consoles were maxed out already 2yrs in and that things won't get drastically different going forward. People who thought they would get games looking like UE5 demo running at 4k/60FPS will be sorely disappointed. Given the time frame in-between sequels, we won't be seeing significant jumps in graphics with 4k/60FPS until next generation (i.e. PS6, XSX 2).

Respect your pro pc gamer point of view (though quite gloaty) however what you say here is hardly rocket science. Nobody buys a console expecting 4k 60fps from every game or for it to be even close to what high end pc's can achieve. You're comparing devices constrained by cost, heat, silicon, physical size and technology advancing every 3-5 years to devices with non of these constraints and gpu power only limited by the budget of the user.

I said before that the consoles were maxed out already 2yrs in and that things won't get drastically different going forward.

If consoles were like pc's then this would probably be true. However like all past consoles having a closed hardware standard allows teams to get to a great deal more performance out of it by the end of a generation than they could at the start of it. Not to mention we're still waiting for current gen games that fulfil the early promises.