Rise of Ronin Review and |OT| "Discipline first, discipline forever"

What do you think will be the metacrituc average?

• 50-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 61-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 71-80

Votes: 16 44.4%
  • 81-90

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • 91-100

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Later bosses have like very complex combo sets. The game is pretty challenging fun at Hard difficulty.

Quests, explorations are okay. But their like a region as far that enemies can insta 1-hit kill you.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Is there any kind of "base building"? As in you save people and you build a settlement with them or something along those lines?

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Tsushima managed to take the asscreed formula and even after playing the last few games and growing sick of the staleness… it still works!

Maybe it’s the use of color and the art direction and beauty of the landscapes. Maybe it’s because the world is clearly handcrafted and not churned out. Tsushima is a marvel and along with Santa Monica’s GoW games and Bloodborne the best PlayStation single player exclusives I’ve ever played.

If Ronin does its world better… makes you wonder.

Regardless… shogun is absolutely incredible and I’m so in the mood for this stuff.

The art direction, atmosphere and production of Ghost of Tsushima is awesome. Its better than ROR imo.

But the character interaction, towns and things to do are better in ROR. A
The combat in both is great, depends what you prefer. ROR is more Ninja theory like, lots of moves and styles etc.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Umm it’s good? Kinda feels like souls game without the punishment. Had no idea about the twin character setup. Performance is good.

No regrets on spending that $70 so far
Of course it is. Reviewers were hacks.

They couldn't allow another PS exclusive game to be semi successful.

Same people were giving DD2 100’S when the combat looks shit and performs badly at 30fps… Industry is a joke

Reactions: FatKaz

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Is there any kind of "base building"? As in you save people and you build a settlement with them or something along those lines?

Not exactly base building but you have a base that characters you interact with and build relationships with turn up.
And the cats lol.

There you can have separate conversations with them, more gift giving.
And you can do some basic decorating

Reactions: Johnic

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Not exactly base building but you have a base that characters you interact with and build relationships with turn up.
And the cats lol.

There you can have separate conversations with them, more gift giving.
And you can do some basic decorating
hmm, went from "not gonna buy or play this" to "maybe on sale later in the year"

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game is great! I played for over 5 hours today. Just exploring and collecting cats 😁

hmm, went from "not gonna buy or play this" to "maybe on sale later in the year"
Weird. Is it because you didn't like GOT?

If GOT is a 10, Ronin is a 9 to me. I'm really enjoying it. It's a shame nobody is talking about it 😢

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The game is great! I played for over 5 hours today. Just exploring and collecting cats 😁

If GOT is a 10, Ronin is a 9 to me. I'm really enjoying it. It's a shame nobody is talking about it 😢
The reviewers did this game dirty. Totally deserves at least an 8 on combat gameplay alone

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just got the glider

Happy Chris Pratt GIF by Parks and Recreation

The reviewers did this game dirty. Totally deserves at least an 8 on combat gameplay alone
An open-world game on Switch that looks like a Wii game can get 96 on Meta but this one is not next-gen enough 🤡

• fire

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Just got the glider

An open-world game on Switch that looks like a Wii game can get 96 on Meta but this one is not next-gen enough 🤡
And alot of the reviews say its fun, great combat, enagging but brings nothing new ot the genre. 7/10

I expect these same fools like IGN, Gamespot, Gamesradar to score 7/10 to games that dont bring new things to there genre. Or if there are markers on a map.

Witcher 4 has to be completely different to the previous game, GTA6 too.
Elden Ring 2 has to come up with a new formula, Zelda, Dragons Doga 3, Tekken 9 etc etc. COD automatically a 7/10 from now on because its always the same formula lol

Last edited:
  • brain

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Just got the glider

They implemented amazing move
Glider --> horse back. So satisfying.
Cats worth to collect, those starting to work for you later 😁

Combat also varied, every weapon has 3 stances and stances have diffrent moves, those stances can also have different Marshal Arts plus you unlock extra moves from skill tree expanding move sets.

I am not very far into the game, just explored a lot. Met a lot of enemies with different move sets. Even similar enemies can have different move sets, so the combat is very engaging every time, at least for now.

Characters, early into the game looks great if they keep the same quality, i can say never ever played the game so engaging with other characters.

I think, there is obvious double standards in gaming, PS games are just reviewed on much higher standards than usual game.

Game's biggest negative is on technical side i would say, it would be a fantastic game with GhostOT or GoW engine.
Characters wouldn't be so stiff, no popping and game has loads of it, less clipping, better animations like : horse, animals etc.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

No, it's just that i have too many games to play and i knew this game would just go in the backlog and never get touched. GoT was my runner up goty in 2020 after ff7r, closely beating persona 5 royal, and this didn't really look as good. But it's a maybe now

• sad
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Rise of the Ronin is much better game if you know the history of end of Edo (Bakumatsu 幕末) period.​

Discussion
I am Japanese so I've watched many "Jidai geki" (historical drama) that features the Bakumatsu period. It will be difficult to find a Japanese who doesn't know Sakamoto Ryoma or Katsu Kaishu, and knowing many of the character and the history behind them makes the story very intriguing and exciting to follow. Open world and the city is also very exciting because we have seen it depicted through dramas, and the developer really did a good job making the player feel like walking through the drama set. Exactly why it is fun to run around in some of the older Assassin's Creed games for the western audience, while it never really catch on in Japan. In fact, many Japanese online in 2ch (5ch) seems to be very confused as to why there's such a huge discrepancy in metascore between DD2 and Rise of the Ronin because many actually far prefers Rise of the Ronin. Basically, what I want to say is, if you really want to enjoy the story of Rise of the Ronin, watch few YouTube videos about Bakumatsu and inform yourself about many of the characters in the game. It is also useful to look up more information as you get introduced to more characters or setting. The story is actually well written, but unfortunately it is a game very much aimed toward Japanese audience.

• Informative

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022

Rise of the Ronin is much better game if you know the history of end of Edo (Bakumatsu 幕末) period.​

Discussion
I am Japanese so I've watched many "Jidai geki" (historical drama) that features the Bakumatsu period. It will be difficult to find a Japanese who doesn't know Sakamoto Ryoma or Katsu Kaishu, and knowing many of the character and the history behind them makes the story very intriguing and exciting to follow. Open world and the city is also very exciting because we have seen it depicted through dramas, and the developer really did a good job making the player feel like walking through the drama set. Exactly why it is fun to run around in some of the older Assassin's Creed games for the western audience, while it never really catch on in Japan. In fact, many Japanese online in 2ch (5ch) seems to be very confused as to why there's such a huge discrepancy in metascore between DD2 and Rise of the Ronin because many actually far prefers Rise of the Ronin. Basically, what I want to say is, if you really want to enjoy the story of Rise of the Ronin, watch few YouTube videos about Bakumatsu and inform yourself about many of the characters in the game. It is also useful to look up more information as you get introduced to more characters or setting. The story is actually well written, but unfortunately it is a game very much aimed toward Japanese audience.

I love me some Japanese history and it does a good job of it.
And also gives you a few choices on what kind of factions to side with. Pro Shogun, Pro Rebels, Pro Foreigner at certain times etc. Its quite cool tbh

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Discussion
How it should be, aimed at Japanese, that's how you keep the authenticity.
That's why i like this game. And charaters are great.

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
Good to see that people who got the game are seeing it's another fun open world game and having the opposite reaction to the reviews. Go to show that the reviews were too focus on the graphics and production value. This game no question would have score in the 80s if the graphics have matched Sony's other 1st party games. Lots of reviewers that built their channels on open world games like Jorraptor all of a sudden ain't feeling the contents in Ronin but had no issues with the same contents in other open world games are some examples of this.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Good to see that people who got the game are seeing it's another fun open world game and having the opposite reaction to the reviews. Go to show that the reviews were too focus on the graphics and production value. This game no question would have score in the 80s if the graphics have matched Sony's other 1st party games. Lots of reviewers that built their channels on open world games like Jorraptor all of a sudden ain't feeling the contents in Ronin but had no issues with the same contents in other open world games are some examples of this.
he is a ubisoft bitch, so of course he will cry, when he knows that AC game coming to Japan. he was making 1000s of video about AC.

second, yes, this game has usual open world, different is that this game actually rewarding you for doing stuff.

collecting cats? reward. later you can loan those cats and get an extra rewards. you searching for fugitives? reward and later there is a person which gives you a chance to buy great things too. Making photos? here is reward.
you bond with district? reward.
especially rewarding bonding with other characters, you get to get rewards, you get to know them, you get to go into missions with them and play as them.
Go to show that the reviews were too focus on the graphics and production value. This game no question would have score in the 80s if the graphics have matched Sony's other 1st party games.
most probably into 90s.