(Rumor) PS5 Slim is Releasing in 2023

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
The goal of every "slim" PS is to decrease the total cost of the product, from the BoM to shipping. Financially speaking, a PRO model doesn't make much sense now. A Slim model does thought. It can lower the cost of BoM drastically, and if the reports are true and the disc drive is detachable it will unify two production lines and will insert new opportunities for revenue. But the way PS5 is priced right now, i couldn't see a slim at under 500 euros. And i see a 70 euro price tag on the disc drive. MS (and Sega) used to do this kinda crap...

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I love how you talk about Sony like you work for them. :LOL:

Even if there is a PRO model, I very seriously doubt it's going to be a whole new generation of hardware like you are proposing. If that is a reality then going forward we may all assume that consoles upgrade a generation every 3yrs instead of every 6yrs. All those hardware addons you mentioned makes the regular PS5 look like a last gen box.
It's not about working for them, it's about basic knowledge of PS....... Every generation, there's been a slim, why won't PS5 have one? They started PRO versions from last gen, just like they did VR. Sony has never been one and done. PSP had a successor, they will do a PRO version, so will MS and the rumors are too rich to deny it. It's just like denying that Silent Hill was coming.....

Also, that GTX 1080 PS5 seems to be punching way above it's weight huh? :D

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Umar
D

Deleted member 13

It's not about working for them, it's about basic knowledge of PS....... Every generation, there's been a slim, why won't PS5 have one? They started PRO versions from last gen, just like they did VR. Sony has never been one and done. PSP had a successor, they will do a PRO version, so will MS and the rumors are too rich to deny it. It's just like denying that Silent Hill was coming.....

Also, that GTX 1080 PS5 seems to be punching way above it's weight huh? :D
That's the reason right there. The PS4/X1 were totally underpowered last gen. I dont' think that's the case this generation. We won't know if a pattern is established until it's announced.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
That's the reason right there. The PS4/X1 were totally underpowered last gen. I dont' think that's the case this generation. We won't know if a pattern is established until it's announced.
Lol, do you think Nvidia will release another generation of GPU's or Intel CPU's? Do you think the sun will rise tomorrow? As for last gen, the PS4 was not underpowered, even when PRO launched PS4 maintained it's 1080p gaming for the most part. No console has accomplished such a high rate of it's stated resolution target (1080p). Even the 360 had many games under 720p including many first party titles, the majority of PS first party were 1080p on PS4. XBONE was underpowered however from day 1.

D

Deleted member 13

Lol, do you think Nvidia will release another generation of GPU's or Intel CPU's? Do you think the sun will rise tomorrow?
Don't get cute. Nvidia always releases every 2yrs. It's been a known statistic for several generations.

As for last gen, the PS4 was not underpowered,
Yes, it was. I got all the complaints from a lot of game developers about it. Hence why they introduced it for the first time ever in the history of gaming. It's a one off as far as I'm concerned and isn't a pattern until there's a second release.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Don't get cute. Nvidia always releases every 2yrs. It's been a known statistic for several generations.

Yes, it was. I got all the complaints from a lot of game developers about it. Hence why they introduced it for the first time ever in the history of gaming. It's a one off as far as I'm concerned and isn't a pattern until there's a second release.
I am not getting cute, I am cute........The pro was not made because PS4 was underpowered, a console is only underpowered vs it's nearest console competitor and that was the Xbox One. The PRO was made because Sony was pushing 4k tv's at the time and used it as an avenue for 4K tv adopters to have a console which would give them some 4k gaming content along with their 4k netflix etc....

Believe it or not, the next push is 8k, that's how technology works. There will be a push for this as well, including 4k 120fps on the PRO consoles.....

D

Deleted member 13

I am not getting cute, I am cute........The pro was not made because PS4 was underpowered, a console is only underpowered vs it's nearest console competitor and that was the Xbox One. The PRO was made because Sony was pushing 4k tv's at the time and used it as an avenue for 4K tv adopters to have a console which would give them some 4k gaming content along with their 4k netflix etc....
Now you are being argumentative. I just told you what actual developers told me (and yes, I know quite a few) and you are trying to tell me otherwise. You aren't a developer so let it go.

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's amazing to me that there will be a hardware revision released before I purchased a single built from ground up PS5 only game
You've played Returnal, Demon's Souls through PS+ Extra?

Not interested in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, TLoU Part1?

Or just trolling?

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Now you are being argumentative. I just told you what actual developers told me (and yes, I know quite a few) and you are trying to tell me otherwise. You aren't a developer so let it go.
What are you on about, this forum is here for arguments. Are you ready to put something on the line by insinuating there is no PRO? Also, I have never expressed to you what I do for a living, so stop assuming you know anything about me. Stop making your assumptions facts, just as you are supposed to be a huge NV fan, yet had no idea that Nvidia is on it's third iteration of RT.

The only console where devs have came out openly to say it's weak were XBONE prior to launch and the XBONES prior to launch, the receipts are there. If you remember, when PRO launched, a famous journalist said "the majority of devs never asked for the PRO", from his own sources of devs. So it seems everyone knows devs and what they say, but the reality is always different........I say Slim and PRO are releasing and I stand by that...

D

Deleted member 13

What are you on about, this forum is here for arguments. Are you ready to put something on the line by insinuating there is no PRO?
I'm insinuating that YOU shouldn't assume there is one. And especially with your description of the specs. It's basically an entire generation. Last gens PRO wasn't even close to the kind of re-engineering you are talking about.

Also, I have never expressed to you what I do for a living, so stop assuming you know anything about me. Stop making your assumptions facts,
You are doing the exact thing that you accuse me of doing. All of the comments you make is as if you worked as the executor of Sony. Look in the mirror.

just as you are supposed to be a huge NV fan, yet had no idea that Nvidia is on it's third iteration of RT.
It's not that I had no idea.. I *forgot* that it did. Is that supposed to be some jab at my knowledge?

The only console where devs have came out openly to say it's weak were XBONE prior to launch and the XBONES prior to launch, the receipts are there. If you remember, when PRO launched, a famous journalist said "the majority of devs never asked for the PRO", from his own sources of devs. So it seems everyone knows devs and what they say, but the reality is always different........I say Slim and PRO are releasing and I stand by that...
You can stand by it all you want. Doesn't make it fact until it's actually announced.

P

peter42O

Both PS4 and XBO were under powered when they launched with the Jaguar CPU being obsolete at the time. Also, PS4 Pro was in R&D before the PS4 base launched in 2013.

Reactions: Deleted member 13

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
You've played Returnal, Demon's Souls through PS+ Extra?

Not interested in Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, TLoU Part1?

Or just trolling?

I thought "built from the ground up PS5 only game" was clear

Not interested in Returnal and Ratchet

Not interested in second remasters, and Demon's Souls is another remastered game I have already played several times

lol @ PS+ Extra

D

Deleted member 13

I thought "built from the ground up PS5 only game" was clear

Not interested in Returnal and Ratchet
To add - Returnal is a Unreal Engine game. Basically a portable graphics engine that's agnostic of hardware.

• Informative
Reactions: Nym
P

peter42O

A PlayStation 5 slim is 100% going to happen. Sony has had slim models for every generation and in a few cases, more then one revision. My favorite was the PlayStation 2 super slim. This was the flip top (love flip top lids for the discs) version without the power brick or the half inch bar on the top middle of the console. Shit was so small. So damn sweet.