(Rumor) PS5 Slim is Releasing in 2023

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I thought "built from the ground up PS5 only game" was clear

Not interested in Returnal and Ratchet

Not interested in second remasters, and Demon's Souls is another remastered game I have already played several times

lol @ PS+ Extra
Oh, just trolling, gotcha

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I did a lot of research and I don’t think a Slim is possible yet even in 5nm.

But I can see a redesign that while it is smaller it won’t be Slim.

But maybe my ideia of Slim is different from Sony… for example PS3 Slim or PS4 Slim were never slim.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
I did a lot of research and I don’t think a Slim is possible yet even in 5nm.

But I can see a redesign that while it is smaller it won’t be Slim.

But maybe my ideia of Slim is different from Sony… for example PS3 Slim or PS4 Slim were never slim.

How can a simple consumer make this kind of research ? There are a lot of variables that we just can't know.

PS3 and PS4 Slim editions were slimmer than their predecessors, hence the name. Original PS3s and PS4s wasn't "Phat" either if you want to go down that logic.

#realconsoleshavecurves

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
How can a simple consumer make this kind of research ? There are a lot of variables that we just can't know.

PS3 and PS4 Slim editions were slimmer than their predecessors, hence the name. Original PS3s and PS4s wasn't "Phat" either if you want to go down that logic.

#realconsoleshavecurves
Anybody can do it… silicon size and how much you need to cool it:.. you can take comercial Radeons as example:

There is a reason why the newer GPUs are bigger than ever on PC.

Original PS3 is definitively fat…. original PS4 not… PS3 Slim is still huge… in fact even the PS3 Super Slim is big… PS4 Slim is just a bit smaller than original PS4.

PSOne and PSTwo are example of slim versions.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
Anybody can do it…

Well, if we can't agree on whether Slim or Superslim are actually Slimmer and Slimmest, there is no point in talking hypothetically on whether Sony can launch a Slim PS5.

In absolute terms, it will be definitely be smaller. Someone could say it still isn't slim cause "it can't hang of my HDMI port like a GoogleTV" but it will be a "Slim" version, as Sony did on the 6th, 7th and 8th generations.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
I thought "built from the ground up PS5 only game" was clear

Not interested in Returnal and Ratchet

Not interested in second remasters, and Demon's Souls is another remastered game I have already played several times

lol @ PS+ Extra
I don't get the rainbow reaction given. How was this message "gay"?

I like when people give reasons behind how they feel.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
On the topic of slim/pro's vs original ps5...

Are those fins optional? If they don't actually do anything for heat dissertation or air flow routing they're gone.

At the moment I'm not using the stand, just have ps5 "stood up". Kinda trust it more than the stand which is loose and flimsy. But again, I'm not unknowingly doing any damage, right? The stand is supposed to be for horizontal alignment, right?

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

#realconsoleshavecurves
Bruh the launch PS3 was pretty large. C'mon.

Think the launch XBO video player dwarfed it though.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
You are talking to one of the most hard-nosed Sony fans on the internet. Of course it's possible with him!

Would a PS4 Portable be possible? Old tech now/smaller dies etc. Hardware wise etc, with some reconfiguration obviously. GPS Win4 is looking great, a chunky Vita, but that's fine as it looks to have the goods on the inside.

Software wise, even if it's a weird cut-down version of PS4 OS, like PSNOW's half restricted XMb when streaming PS3 games. It can't be that hard, can it?

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
Would a PS4 Portable be possible? Old tech now/smaller dies etc. Hardware wise etc, with some reconfiguration obviously. GPS Win4 is looking great, a chunky Vita, but that's fine as it looks to have the goods on the inside.

Software wise, even if it's a weird cut-down version of PS4 OS, like PSNOW's half restricted XMb when streaming PS3 games. It can't be that hard, can it?
It;s called Steam Deck, hardwarewise. But Sony doesn't want to compete in the handheld market.

Reactions: Deleted member 13
D

Deleted member 13

@kaluas's point is that @ethomaz is not a hardware engineer so he has no idea what goes into designing console.

Reactions: kaluas

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Steam Deck looks and feels fricking huge. I'm not pulling that out on the bus. Same way I won't pull my laptop out with Windows Remote Play app, or kill my phone's battery/have gameplay interrupted as messages popover and screw-up remote play connection. Half steps all around by Sony themselves.

Now, GPD Win4 essentially looks like a fatboy Vita 2 with all the needed buttons for real game playing, but essentially keeping Vita's comfy form factor/size, and in my opinion stylish looks.

But ffs is a like £1,500 custom pc really the way to work around Sony's cowardice?

I'd really prefer to have an official Sony PS4-P as a companion device to both remote play AND play games on it locally depending on WiFi availability.

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
@kaluas's point is that @ethomaz is not a hardware engineer so he has no idea what goes into designing console.

Actually, even if @ethomaz was a hw engineer, he could only make vague assupmtions. Knowing the specifications of the die is something impossible on one part, but even if we did, we would have to consider type of cooling, target temperature, shape, material, the bugdet for this subsystem, even the number and the location of the fans. Even looking at the actual motherboard wouldn't actually tell us how big the console will be.

But we don't even know the APU, where the RAM is located, where the SSD's subsystem is located etc. What i'm trying to say is we know fuck all here.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

kaluas

3 Oct 2022
Steam Deck looks and feels fricking huge. I'm not pulling that out on the bus. Same way I won't pull my laptop out with Windows Remote Play app, or kill my phone's battery/have gameplay interrupted as messages popover and screw-up remote play connection. Half steps all around by Sony themselves.

Now, GPD Win4 essentially looks like a fatboy Vita 2 with all the needed buttons for real game playing, but essentially keeping Vita's comfy form factor/size, and in my opinion stylish looks.

But ffs is a like £1,500 custom pc really the way to work around Sony's cowardice?

I'd really prefer to have an official Sony PS4-P as a companion device to both remote play AND play games on it locally depending on WiFi availability.

GPD Win4 is a notebook. I'd consider a Vita2 something with an ARM SoC.

If you ask me they have an under the table deal with Ninty. Would definitely buy a PSP3 day one but if Sony doesn't want my money, i will choose one of the multitude of handheld PC's that will come in the next three years and feature a state of the art ARM SoC.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Yes it is very possible… in fact Steam Deak is basically a PS4 portable.
Very similar machines in terms of power.

With 5nm it is even possible to have a smaller upgrade… aka a bit more powerful machine than PS4 in a portable form but still far away from a PS4 Pro in power terms.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

If you ask me they have an under the table deal with Ninty. Would definitely buy a PSP3 day one but if Sony doesn't want my money, i will choose one of the multitude of handheld PC's that will come in the next three years and feature a state of the art ARM SoC.
Well that's it really. If I really have to pick the best unofficial pc to act as stand-in product for PS Vita 2 not existing, Sony can kiss any future PS profits goodbye from me.

They're already venturing into PC at expense of their console etc. My PS5 feels like an early access machine for the games eventually going to PC regardless. Why not just wait? PS4 also being brought along for the ride is just disappointing at this point, but if gonna do PS4/PC at least get a clue and accompany it with a PS4-P. Touchscreen phone games with a fan attached and no buttons ain't it ffs.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
Yes it is very possible… in fact Steam Deak is basically a PS4 portable.
Very similar machines in terms of power.

With 5nm it is even possible to have a smaller upgrade… aka a bit more powerful machine than PS4 in a portable form but still far away from a PS4 Pro in power terms.
Software OS wise they could just make it act as another PS4 sku, right? Like how older gen's games presented to PStore as "PS4" games at one time (think they're better labels now)? Or how we had whatever restricted version of PS3 XBM accessible running through the old PSNOW streaming?

It's not like PS4 and PS4 pro had different OS's (is it?), they each had different features/abilities/components/tweaks from each other.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Software OS wise they could just make it act as another PS4 sku, right? Like how older gen's games presented to PStore as "PS4" games at one time (think they're better labels now)? Or how we had whatever restricted version of PS3 XBM accessible running through the old PSNOW streaming?

It's not like PS4 and PS4 pro had different OS's (is it?), they each had different features/abilities/components/tweaks from each other.
Yeap… it is all possible and indeed PS4 and PS4 Pro uses the same software (OS).

But I don’t think Sony is remotely interested in the portable market after Vita… I will be surprised if they do anything in that segment.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022

Yes sorry, I should say when I conflate the Vita and GPD Win 4, it's purely from a visual aspect. Not only is the shape very similar, but if you imagine a PS4 OS on it so there isn't the issue of seperate game library support, it's pretty much all I would want from a PS Vita. All the buttons, touchscreen. I wouldn't even need the slide out keyboard on the GPD Win 4 on an integrated PS4 handheld. Have its own local storage so I don't have to stream/remote play everything on an otherwise isolated brick.

I just can't believe Sony can't see portable gaming as seperate from mobile gaming/MTX dollar signs in their eyes. Do both ffs!
Look at Switch and it's sales, Steam Deck, GPDWin4, Aya Neo, Logitek's XB endorsed android/GamePass streaming tablet. The enthusiasm is there, and it's not all just towards mobile touchscreen games/streaming games. The only ones seemingly not on the ball are the main ones whom I'd want to see do it.