Rumor: Sony is changing strategy and no longer announcing games too early. Sucker's Punch New Game being announced this year.

Witcher

3 Apr 2024
My opinion is that Sony should release its games on the same day for both PC and PlayStation. Sony should also focus more on mobile gaming, because mobile gaming brings more profit than PC+console combined

• haha
Reactions: Puff and arvfab

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Your "source" is Zuby_Tech? A well known playstation fanboy

Oh boy....
I gave him credit for the image, not going to take what's someone else's and not refer to him. The irony is that you got disproven and you are the one neglecting facts over your own fanboy theories.

Oh boy...

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I gave him credit for the image, not going to take what's someone else's and not refer to him. The irony is that you got disproven and you are the one neglecting facts over your own fanboy theories.

Oh boy...

Until I actually see some games from Playstation Studios (it's been over 5 years of nothing for some of them) my theories will remain correct.

I am happy to be proven wrong but so far I don't see anything from Sony.

If they still haven't revealed anything by now it means they have nothing in the pipeline until April 2025.

Insomniac and third parties have been carrying Sony this generation.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
My opinion is that Sony should release its games on the same day for both PC and PlayStation. Sony should also focus more on mobile gaming, because mobile gaming brings more profit than PC+console combined

Why bother with PC and consoles at all? Full mobile and you won't know where to put all the money in, right?

KvallyX

Icon Extra
13 Nov 2023
Silk? 😂 Stop 😂

That said I’ll take a new Sucker Punch game.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
So this letter got lost behind a desk for 10 years at Sony HQ and then posted, right?

Sony becoming secretive? Yeah that's been a talking point and a wrong direction since TLG's prolonged development. This isn't news?

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
People here constantly cries about lack of announcements even if Sony announced several games in the last year.

If they would announce all the games from now until the end of the generation, then it means they wouldn't have anything else to announce for a while, so they'd spend years without having anything to announce. So these haters would be even more annoying crying harder and even more frequently. In addition to reject the clear existance of the Sony games like dumb crybaby kids, they would even reject the existance of the console and the brand.

And when showing games too early, then people would get even more angry when some game get cancelled, delayed or gets changes that in some case may be "downgrades". So would cry even harder.

The current strategy is better: they announce games to be released maximum in a year and a half, so the wait isn't too long. Showing the game for the first time pretty close to the release, when it's months away and basically getting the last tweaks, optimizations and being bugfixed, they can afford themselves to show the game showing gameplay that will look pretty likely like the final one, and highly reduces the changes of getting delayed after getting a release date, and to be cancelled because the game is almost complete when announced. In addition to this, announcing the game later keeps devs a longer time without a big pressure on them.

And well, games like Spider-Man 2, God of War Ragnarok and Helldivers 2 have breaking sales records with a small amount of gameplay trailers. I mean, Helldivers 2 got announced in the late may showcase of last year and got released early February, under 9 months later.

They don't need a super long marketing campaign with a ton of different trailers to break sales records.

This leak says it's up to 2 years they'll start talking about game. That's good.

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
GKWonQwWQAA7xCo

SO Zuby_Tech

''fan made theory''.

Half of those games are launch PS5 games and Remasters. Those two types of games will always have an artificially short "announcement to release" schedule.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
This leak says it's up to 2 years they'll start talking about game. That's good.
''fan made theory''.
I like Sony focusing on announcing games planned to be released in less than two years.

But this "leak" is wrong saying this is a new thing for Sony because it's what they have been doing for at least almost a decade. At least that of the "leak" saying that Sony changed their plans isn't true. It already was what they were doing for a long period of time.

Hello, Rinzler.
I assume that as usual should be some kind of insult trying to troll, personally attacking other forum user who disagrees in some topic, attempting to derail the thread being a disgusting asshole, instead of being polite debating like a decent human trying to provide something useful to the conversation. I won't waste my time fighting with you, isn't worth to spend energy on that.

But I'm curious, who/what is Rinzler? I don't get the joke.

GKWonQwWQAA7xCo

SO Zuby_Tech
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. It's also worth mentioning that after their public announcement GoWR, GT7 and HFW were delayed, so their estimated announcement vs release distance was even shorter.

I see there some patterns in the announcements:
  • Big ass blockbusters: 1.5-2 years aprox. (including delays, would be less without delays)
  • Not as big games: 0.5-1 year aprox.
  • Remasters, remakes and PC ports: under half a year
It would be interesting to see the list of all their PS4 games released before the PS5 release to see until when they had these patterns.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel

mckmas8808

26 Mar 2024
I see there some patterns in the announcements:
  • Big ass blockbusters: 1.5-2 years aprox. (including delays, would be less without delays)
  • Not as big games: 0.5-1 year aprox.
  • Remasters & remakes: under half a year
It would be interesting to see the list of all their PS4 games released before the PS5 release to see until when they had these patterns.

I 1,000% agree here. I think that's their 3 lengths for announcements. If they stick to that, they'll have a great release "announcement" schedule.

Reactions: Yurinka

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
I like Sony focusing on announcing games planned to be released in less than two years.

But this "leak" is wrong saying this is a new thing for Sony because it's what they have been doing for at least almost a decade. At least that of the "leak" saying that Sony changed their plans isn't true. It already was what they were doing for a long period of time.
Totally right if it's about shift in strategy implied that changed mid-gen that is wrong, cause from that image and how Sony presented themselves this gen it has been like this since the start. The quotations referred to the shorter announce window.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Why do you want PlayStation to turn into Xbox just enjoy your Xbox alone dude, don't try to drag us into that mess.

You are terrible at hiding who you are.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab and Umar

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
GKWonQwWQAA7xCo

SO Zuby_Tech

''fan made theory''.
I went to expand the list checking the PS4 games from before the PS5 release, the ones released during 2020 and 2019:

image.png

There's a visible difference with the games released during the PS5 days: their big blockbuster games of that period, GoT, TLOU2, Dreams, Death Stranding and Days Gone were released 2.7-3.8 years before their release.

But I also see is that all games announced since at least 2019, 5 years ago, when Jimbo became CEO, already followed the curernt pattern of:
  • Not as big games: 0.5-1 year aprox., or even under that
  • Remasters, remakes and PC ports: under half a year
Tomorrow I'll check the ones released in 2018 and 2017.

Reactions: CrackmanNL