[RUMOUR] Codenamed Q Lite, the next PlayStation handheld is the next piece of Sony hardware

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
The amount of spam these rumors have created is disgusting. Please someone consolidate this garbage.

It’s spam because all these rumors aside from Ps5 pro absolutely fucking suck :ROFLMAO:

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
There seem to be several rumors from diff places so maybe something comes to fruition. I don't want a remote play handheld but a dedicated one that can also play PS4 games. Sony better learn, I mean they had pstv or whatever it was called, it wasn't a handheld but still a remote play device that didn't go anywhere even at a price point close to $100. I still have mine.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
There’s still time to scrap this a dogshit idea Sony. Cancel it ASAP

Don’t get me wrong. I think sony is a great games company but I won’t rally behind this (or VR). I still think focusing any resources on supplementary and niche hardware like this is a waste (yes this includes vr).

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
If it's streaming only I hope Sony gets embarrassed and Jim Ryan loses his job.

D

Deleted member 417

Could be streaming only for ps5 because of the spec difference, but everything else is playable offline if you download it?

If Cerny is behind the hardware and tech, I'll be interested to see what he can cook up.

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
It’s happening guys!

Fine by me, since this won't divide the studios in two fronts for developing games.
If it works fine, I'd buy it to use it on hoidays on my parents' place. The PS5 is too big and heavy for me to take it there.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Fine by me, since this won't divide the studios in two fronts for developing games.
If it works fine, I'd buy it to use it on hoidays on my parents' place. The PS5 is too big and heavy for me to take it there.
you need one of those Phil spencer screens he takes on trips lol, god help us if sony make that.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
A remote play handheld in the style of a PSP would sell a lot more than PSVR2. They need to hurry up and release it!

Reactions: ksdixon

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
Would be a huge waste of R&D resources if true, imho. Why should anybody want such a dedicated device, when you can do the same with any smartphone? They even partnered with Backbone recently for Iphones (and it's a mistery to me why not also for Android) regarding Remote Play.
Why do people keep bringing up phones?

There's a difference between touchscreen phone shite, and portable gaming with buttons. The netbook/tablet/phone revolution had its time and it withered and died. Consoles still reign.

A PS app/PS+ streaming app/remote play app on a phone is worth nothing when the WiFi/data isn't around.

arvfab

Slayer of Colossi
23 Jun 2022
Why do people keep bringing up phones?

There's a difference between touchscreen phone shite, and portable gaming with buttons. The netbook/tablet/phone revolution had its time and it withered and died. Consoles still reign.

A PS app/PS+ streaming app/remote play app on a phone is worth nothing when the WiFi/data isn't around.

And how does this differ for a dedicated, streaming only device?

PS: you can use actual PlayStation controllers on the phones for remote play.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
22 Jun 2022
And how does this differ for a dedicated, streaming only device?

PS: you can use actual PlayStation controllers on the phones for remote play.

True, but then I'm carrying a phone, and at least a controller phone shell, or a controller attachment clip and a controller around. Alternatively it'd be a laptop for Windows 11 remote play app and a controller. It's just not an ideal situation. I have enough time getting remote play running smoothly from upstairs or back garden, and the PS5 is wired into router on 50gb fibre, last time I checked Internet package details. That's not gonna work on a phone on the bus when you're riding up the roads, and before you've logged into the PS5 remotely you're 3 streets away. I believe phones and a streaming-only handheld are dead ends. It might not be free all over, but Britain's public WiFi is also spotty and shite.

I don't think the Internet is there in UK/US for streaming only handheld. It needs local storage/game downloadability and offline mode for certain in my opinion.

They won't throw games up into play/ios mobile stores rejigged with touch controls. Switch showed even Nintendo can't handle split game library focuses. Deck showed portability of normal "home" game library is popular. Portable PS4 isn't extra game dev work. It's just a PS4 game.

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

Looks like Sony just made a worse version of the Logitech G Cloud. What an embarrassing moment for PlayStation, completely outclassed by Valve and out of touch with their player base.

Lazy.

Going on a trip and want to play using your portable device? You are out of luck. Want to play it on a plane? Not happening. On the hotel? Better bring your PS5. Do you want to play outside? Then you better have state of the art wifi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryank75

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022
I just don’t want them to divide development resources between console and handheld, so this is a good middle ground for those that wants to play on the go but hates touch screen.