Rumour: Microsoft is preparing an offer of $16B for Valve

saci

5 May 2024
Nothing of the random unrelated stuff you posted proved me wrong

Similar to what happens in console, in mobile or gaming in general, or basically in any market: yes, the some top players always take a big majority of the market revenue in basically any market, also in non-gaming ones.

But no, Steam doesn't generate the $9B/year shown in that guesstimate at all, as shown in the graph you provided PC generates around $40B per year and most of it is from Steam. If something, these almost $9B/year would be what Valve does from Steam every year (not counting the cut of the other publishers/devs).

This is not the revenue made in ther consoles, and even less in the digital store of their console only.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9655...on-made-30-billion-in-2023-xbox-18/index.html

I don't know in which fantasy world do you live.

The PlayStation console never did $30B in revenue for a fiscal year in their whole history, and their PSN store even less. Even their whole SIE/G&NS division never did $30B. In console they are counting the game subs, without it console goes down to around $40B.

Regarding the PC yearly revenue, the game publishers quote constantly IDG or Newzoo in their fiscal reports, which show PC doing around $40B/year.

Here you have the IDG one saying it, and also that physical+digital game sales plus addon revenue from console (not only PS) was in CY22 $30B, and removing physical $21B. And Sony claimed to have under half of the console marketshare. While PC was over $40B (a small part of it may be game subs, but not the half):

image.png

Wrong.

According to Steam's monthly data, around third of the Steam players use it on these languages, a bigger percent than English.

Simplified Chinese 30.31% + Korean 1.49% + Traditional Chinese 1.44% = 33.24%

A big majority of the around $40B/year made on PC are from Steam (let's say aprox. 75%), and if something around a third of that comes from China and Korea, Steam, that would be over $9B of the generated by Steam from Chinese and Korean players would be over $9B.

image.png

Obviously way less than in the rest of the world, but Steam must have a big chunk of the China + Korea PC market.
damn, crackman just got btfooo

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
The rumor Could be true after all.

That doesn't mean they're buying Steam. It means the next xbox is a niche pc-like machine with steam integration, like we've been saying for a while now. I even think one of their leaked specs show that.

Wonder how Sony's gonna respond to this. They;re essentially feeding their games to Xbox.

Reactions: Puff
OP
OP
Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
That doesn't mean they're buying Steam. It means the next xbox is a niche pc-like machine with steam integration, like we've been saying for a while now. I even think one of their leaked specs show that.

Wonder how Sony's gonna respond to this. They;re essentially feeding their games to Xbox.
If that's the case Sony needs to drop support for Steam. Imagine if Xbox could plsy via Steam Playstation games. Sony needs to mske their own PC storefront then.

Reactions: Puff

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Regarding the PC yearly revenue, the game publishers quote constantly IDG or Newzoo in their fiscal reports, which show PC doing around $40B/year.
You stated Steam was 90% of the PC market, I stated that's not the case with their 8,5b revenue. So you are claiming Steam owns 36 billion of the ENTIRE 40 billion market of PC??

This made me laugh. The chart I showed you which you claim what I stated is unrelated was from Newzoo then you say it's a industry standard which shows console is bigger then PC which contradicts your statement about PC trumping console. Then you show a graph which shows again that console market is bigger than PC, and mobile being top dog which I said earlier. Not only did I prove you wrong, you proved yourself wrong.

damn, crackman just got btfooo

He literally posted a source that confirms the console holders being counted together to be the same number I referred to: 61 billion. And then claim it's impossible for PS to be towards 30 billion when there is literally a graph of SIE them having 46% with projections to 50%+ revenue market share. The math ain't mathing, wtf are we doing here.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Plextorage

Veteran
26 Feb 2023

If that's the case Sony needs to drop support for Steam. Imagine if Xbox could plsy via Steam Playstation games. Sony needs to mske their own PC storefront then.

Easy. Same way when they've blocked the games on Geforce Now for Xbots.

Reactions: Johnic

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Similar to what happens in console, in mobile or gaming in general, or basically in any market: yes, the some top players always take a big majority of the market revenue in basically any market, also in non-gaming ones.

But no, Steam doesn't generate the $9B/year shown in that guesstimate at all, as shown in the graph you provided PC generates around $40B per year and most of it is from Steam. If something, these almost $9B/year would be what Valve does from Steam every year (not counting the cut of the other publishers/devs).

This is not the revenue made in ther consoles, and even less in the digital store of their console only.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/9655...on-made-30-billion-in-2023-xbox-18/index.html

I don't know in which fantasy world do you live.

The PlayStation console never did $30B in revenue for a fiscal year in their whole history, and their PSN store even less. Even their whole SIE/G&NS division never did $30B. In console they are counting the game subs, without it console goes down to around $40B.

Here you have the IDG one saying it, and also that physical+digital game sales plus addon revenue from console (not only PS) was in CY22 $30B, and removing physical $21B. And Sony claimed to have under half of the console marketshare. While PC was over $40B (a small part of it may be game subs, but not the half):

image.png

Wrong.

According to Steam's monthly data, around third of the Steam players use it on these languages, a bigger percent than English.

Simplified Chinese 30.31% + Korean 1.49% + Traditional Chinese 1.44% = 33.24%

A big majority of the around $40B/year made on PC are from Steam (let's say aprox. 75%), and if something around a third of that comes from China and Korea, Steam, that would be over $9B of the generated by Steam from Chinese and Korean players would be over $9B.

image.png

Obviously way less than in the rest of the world, but Steam must have a big chunk of the China + Korea PC market.
The issue with this is that Xbox collapsing completely tanks the console stats... gamepass also hurt game sales along with PSPlus to some degree too.

There are only 3 consoles and if one is dying, they need to be removed from the stats going forward to get a clearer view of the sector.

klomzi

8 Mar 2024
lol

1. The source is Trust me bro. there must be more bad xbox news coming so astroturfers release this.
2. Acquisitions NEVER leak because they're regarded top secret. Revealing acquisitions on this level is considered insider trading and carries HEFTY prison time.
3. Vale generates 10 billion a year in revenue. They're not gonna sell for 16
4. Good luck getting this past regulators. If you thought ABK was bad, this is a nightmare.

To people mentioning the leak stating MS wanted to buy them. They wanted to buy every company, including Nintendo and Sony. It's not happening.

What are you saying? Steam generates 9 billion in revenue (that's not profit), while PS alone generates over 25 billion in revenue. Both are facts, there's no point in trying to change them, they're official figures, and that's because we're not even taking Xbox and Nintendo into account yet.

You stated Steam was 90% of the PC market, I stated that's not the case with their 8,5b revenue. So you are claiming Steam owns 36 billion of the ENTIRE 40 billion market of PC??
You and others need to stop with these billion numbers.

Noone other than Valve themselves knows how much revenue and profit they make yearly. Anything found online is napkin math and guesswork.

All we know is that in 2011 or something Valve was the most profitable company per employee in the US and some people with connections to Valve states that they "print infinite money" or "have near infinite money".

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Steam didn't generate $8.5B, and as shown Newzoo and IDG say PC did around $40B.

And I didn't claim Steam makes 90% of the market, I said 70-80%.
This made me laugh. The chart I showed you which you claim what I stated is unrelated was from Newzoo then you say it's a industry standard which shows console is bigger then PC which contradicts your statement about PC trumping console. Then you show a graph which shows again that console market is bigger than PC, and mobile being top dog which I said earlier. Not only did I prove you wrong, you proved yourself wrong.

He literally posted a source that confirms the console holders being counted together to be the same number I referred to: 61 billion. And then claim it's impossible for PS to be towards 30 billion when there is literally a graph of SIE them having 46% with projections to 50%+ revenue market share. The math ain't mathing, wtf are we doing here.
You may laugh because you have reading comprehension issues or are a gaming flatearther.

The yearly report of the whole Nintendo revenue isn't the revenue that Switch makes, and not even the revenue that Nintendo makes from Switch. Nintendo has other revenue sources outside Switch like movies, toys, a them park, mobile games and so on.

Same goes with the revenue reported by the SIE/Sony G&NS division: this is not the revenue generated by PlayStation, and not the part of the revenue generated by Sony. It also includes SIE's revenue from PC, movies, etc.

And in both cases also includes stuff like hardware or game subs, which is stupid to include when comparing against Steam's game revenue. The 45% is of the total $55B of consoles, including hardware and gamesubs, which only a dumb retarded would include it when comparing it to Steam.

Same goes with Xbox.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The issue with this is that Xbox collapsing completely tanks the console stats... gamepass also hurt game sales along with PSPlus to some degree too.

There are only 3 consoles and if one is dying, they need to be removed from the stats going forward to get a clearer view of the sector.
The console market isn't tanking, it's growing. Slowly but keeps growing, as also happens with PC or mobile.

PS Plus is a profitable business model: to put there mostly old games that are no longer selling generate extra revenue/profit, and putting there old games doesn't affect sales, which keep growing. GP instead is a suicidal model because putting there many imporant games first kills the sales of such games and also other ones that aren't being played/bought, and also because to pay a company to put a game day one isn't the same than to pay that same company the same game 4 years after launch.

Regarding Xbox, it's declining and its market share keeps getting very small but should be included like the other ones to keep the chart consistent when comparing to previous years.

What are you saying? Steam generates 9 billion in revenue (that's not profit), while PS alone generates over 25 billion in revenue. Both are facts, there's no point in trying to change them, they're official figures, and that's because we're not even taking Xbox and Nintendo into account yet.
Who said Steam generates $9B/year? Not Valve, and the serious market researchers like Newzoo and IDG say PC makes around $40B/year instead (and everyone assume a huge portion of it is from Steam).

And PS game revenue (its games + addons sold on PSN, which is what should be compared to Steam) doesn't generate around $25B/year at all, Sony reported this. That figure is what the entire SIE does, including their PC/Xbox/Switch games, movies, hardware, accesories, game subs and so on.

As seen above, IDG says PS+Xbox+Switch generated in CY22 $12B in addon content + $9B in digital game sales. $21B for the three consoles. You can add here physical games if you want, making a total of $30B in CY22.

image.png

What SIE made, in this case FY23 (not CY22) from PSN is 1082967M yen in addons + 851619M yen in game sales = 1934586M ($12.34B)

If you also want to include the 180250M ($1.14B) from PS physical games, then the total goes up to $13.48B. Which as can be seen htere is a substantial increase from FY22 and I assume even more compared to CY22.

We don't know the game software made by Steam (game + addon sales), but should be an huge part of the around $40B game software reported by Newzoo and IDG.

Last edited:

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
You may laugh because you have reading comprehension issues or are a gaming flatearther.

Yeah I am a laughing gaming flat earther, cause the goalpost shifts every time is immaculate funny. From PC is bigger than console, to it making more revenue and now we moving it to don't count that, it's not fair.

The 45% is of the total $55B of consoles, including hardware and gamesubs, which only a dumb retarded would include it when comparing it to Steam.
Steam doesn't make revenue off Steamdeck and Valve Index. That's not hardware I am imagining it. And PS users don't spend on services to play/enjoy games.

The insults really showed me, backed your fraudery! :sleep:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah I am a laughing gaming flat earther, cause the goalpost shifts every time is immaculate funny. From PC is bigger than console, to it making more revenue and now we moving it to don't count that, it's not fair.

Steam doesn't make revenue off Steamdeck and Valve Index. That's not hardware I am imagining it. And PS users don't spend on services to play/enjoy games.

The insults really showed me, backed your fraudery! :sleep:
Moving goalposts is stupid things like trying to include Index or Steamdeck hardware revenue when comparing Steamdeck to others. Or trying to include console hardware, accesories and game subs when comparing to Steam.

I'm not the one doing this. I'm comparing the Steam's game revenue (games + addons sales) to their equivalent on PS or consoles in general. Which doesn't include Nintendo or Sony movies or hardware.