[Rumour] Sony is planning to acquire CD Projekt RED

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Very much doubt it, especially about DG 2.

But if both of these things do eventually happen, they would not surprise me.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

ItsPaulPS5

8 Dec 2022
Well...on one hand id love CDPR to be owned by someone with proper quality control to make sure we dont get another Cyberpunk situation
on the other hand Days Gone 2? really? i mean if the PC and PS4/PS5 sales and the demand is there maybe would be enough for Sony to greenlight a sequel at Bend
we shall see i guess
Sony wanting Cyberpunk and Witcher wouldnt surprise me at all

ItsPaulPS5

8 Dec 2022
Well...on one hand id love CDPR to be owned by someone with proper quality control to make sure we dont get another Cyberpunk situation
on the other hand Days Gone 2? really? i mean if the PC and PS4/PS5 sales and the demand is there maybe would be enough for Sony to greenlight a sequel at Bend
we shall see i guess
but another thing is...would Sony really want to own GOG? idk seems like too much in my opinion
would that be in Sony's interest

JDefective

28 May 2023
Lies No GIF

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
They will do not do a major deal until this ABK case is cleared. Maybe small acquisitions like Firewalk to stay under the radar if needed. But some big studios or publisher will not be acquired as long Activision Blizzard deal is ongoing.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
There was going to be a Cyberpunk 2077 multiplayer game from CDPR, but that got abandoned due to CP2077's bad launch.
Hard to have good launch, when you are 2 years off from real game's launch.
Just look at Redfall, the same story.

It is crazy story with multiplayer, first they said, that they won't have it, years later confirmed it is being created, after launch they cancel it.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Wouldn’t leaking an acquisition before it’s done risk jeopardizing it? Unless it’s a done deal and Sony feels like they need some positive pr out in the ether after this week and just waiting to announce it? Or they don’t plan on buying them and it’s a red herring to have people talk about something else besides tlou development issues?

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
This rumor again. It keeps coming up. I'm starting to believe "someone" is getting CDPR for sure.

Hopefully it's Sony, if not I'm worried 😬

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
we shall see i guess
They don’t own either Witcher nor Cyberpunk. Just licensed to create games. This would be a useless acquisition.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Sapkowski is the sole owner of the intellectual property. He has licensed others to use his IP as inspiration for TV/movies/games/comics/tabletop titles/etc. His word is final on what is canon and he has always stated only the books are canon.
But he sold it to create games to CDPR.
The same way he sold it to nexflix. His word is final? Are you sure? By looking at Witcher Origins, are you sure?😁

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Sapkowski is the sole owner of the intellectual property. He has licensed others to use his IP as inspiration for TV/movies/games/comics/tabletop titles/etc. His word is final on what is canon and he has always stated only the books are canon.
No they own the full license for Witcher games, graphic novels, board games, and other associated merchandise

Sapkowski sold them the full game rights for a lump sum. He later complained and they agreed to pay him royalties too. Based on all those talk that came out of that situation, it doesn't sound like he has any ability to take back the rights