[Rumour] Sony is planning to acquire CD Projekt RED

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Oh shit Liz leaked it. Her d2 leaks have been on the money. We knew about cayde and details for final shape for months already.

She’s not the leaker per se… someone who posts leaks from her sources tho…

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Liz leaks have not been wrong. Like minor shit lost in translation sure. She tends to hold onto the info until she can verify a bit as well. Also not known to troll users much outside an April fools joke etc… and will quickly nip that if a joke goes too far. I thought Bungie busted the leaker and this stuff would be over but I guess he wasn’t the only one.

This is interesting….

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I'd prefer that to putting games on Steam.

Edit: If they could get From, Capcom, Namco, Square and other developers to put games exclusively on their launcher it would be a huge shakeup of the PC store scene.
Yeah PC PSN. Not that I’m encouraging it

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Ooo I definitely don’t want to see Sony with their own pc store. Much rather they fully embrace steam. Many worry about pc ports too much. I don’t want to get into debate here yet but pc has always been a non-threat to consoles. And this is why Ps5 will surpass ps4 as well. It’s just for them to expand into international markets consoles don’t really have access to.

I’d rather they shutdown gog or sell all those customer contracts to steam at massive discount.

Microsoft has the entire wrpg genre on lock by owning every developer of such games. It’s wise to get CDPR just to make sure you don’t lose those types of games on PlayStation.

I enjoyed both Bethesda and CDPR rpgs … and CDPR is kinda the better dev of the jank rpg at the moment unless Starfield actually cleans up Bethesda’s dogshit approach to everything regarding gameplay.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Fake news.

I think CD Projekt is overvalued, but I highly doubt they'd sell it for less than $140M, which is aprox what Sony has as investments+acquisitions budget for this year.

Also, we know Days Gone 2 isn't underdevelopment, Bend's studio manager decided to develop instead a new IP.

Would anyone be surprised if Sumo Digital's rumoured PS5 game Project Carbon would be Days Gone 2?
Such rumor doesn't exist, it only appeared in a fake list 'leak' full of wrong info.

But obviously Sony could be working with Sumo again, pretty likely in a Sackboy 2 game or something like that. I don't see Sumo working on their own big AAA open world game.

but another thing is...would Sony really want to own GOG? idk seems like too much in my opinion
would that be in Sony's interest
No, GoG has a tiny market share and doesn't have DRM. Also, it's super different to PSN and would require a lot of work for Sony. Not appealing to Sony.

I think Sony simply will adapt their current PSN store website to add a PC section when ready, plus a dedicated PSN PC app/launcher to use the PSN features such as chat, PSN friends management and so on in PC.

Last edited:

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Agree. Let’s say this was true. Dump gog asap.

Competing against steam is a non-starter. In fact they should be working with Valve as much as possible to improve both steam and deck support.

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
I think Sony simply will adapt their current PSN store website to add a PC section when ready, plus a dedicated PSN PC app/launcher to use the PSN features such as chat, PSN friends management and so on in PC.

But they didn’t go that direction on console. Discord is fully integrated now and that’s a wider solution to social features.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
But they didn’t go that direction on console. Discord is fully integrated now and that’s a wider solution to social features.
Yes, they did go in that direction in console. You have your trophies/friends/messaging/MP invites/game library/etc in the console and have to import all that to PC, even if in PC now you can link your PSN account in-game and use Discord.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
I'm completely on board as a big proponent of this move. Bethesda needs to be matched in the WRPG department with at least one big WRPG franchise - CDPR helps in that regard. Moreover if you want to do PC right you need your own Store. GOG's skeleton (renamed) is a starting base - like Gaikai/Onlive for cloud.

But this is just noise. People throw names hoping they land the lucky guess imo.

Would be glad to be wrong.

D

Deleted member 417

Makes sense. 3rd person is Sony's jam and they desperately need an RPG.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Days Gone shouldnt get a sequel right away. New IP is important for PS.

CDPR would be a great reply to the Bethesda purchase, but I doubt it happens

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I'd prefer that to putting games on Steam.

Edit: If they could get From, Capcom, Namco, Square and other developers to put games exclusively on their launcher it would be a huge shakeup of the PC store scene.
Gog is 100% DRM free and if there is any kind of drm or login there will be massive backlash. More than if Witcher 4 is exclusive.

They could keep the GOG Galaxy launcher for something like a PSN section or just divest gog.

• they're_right_you_know
P

peter42O

I highly doubt that im getting what was my most anticipated PlayStation 5 sequel in Days Gone 2. Don't see this happening whatsoever.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Lol the same company that they delisted from the store in an unprecedented move, give me a break. Playstation fans are starting to sound like xbots hoping for acquisitions to save them from gaas games

On Demand

Veteran
30 Jul 2022
They will do not do a major deal until this ABK case is cleared. Maybe small acquisitions like Firewalk to stay under the radar if needed. But some big studios or publisher will not be acquired as long Activision Blizzard deal is ongoing.

The regulation has nothing to do with consoles anymore. Sony can buy whatever they want.

The CMA already blocked it anyway. The appeal is going nowhere.

13 Feb 2023
cdpr doesn't even own the ip for games they make playstation won't get cyperpunk and the witcher rights as part of the deal.