Senua's Saga: Hellblade II Releases on |The Game Awards 2023

DForce

24 Jun 2022
But the skin shaders and rain look really good! ... I recall the rain at night in Far Cry 3, it looked great as well, with the trees flowing in the wind and the sound design.
The combat reminds me of TLOU 2's boss fights. While the one-on-one fight boss fights were decent, it's not nearly as fun as the regular combat.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
No game with these level of graphics has been released. The only graphically impressive games that have released this gen have been Horizon, Calisto and Demon Souls. Demon Souls for the environments and the other two for their character rendering. This look superior to all of them.

Ratchet, Plague Requiem.

Edit: Alan Wake 2

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Sircaw

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
It goes to show you that you tend to make ridiculous statements.
Many people make ridiculous statements. It's a part of being a forum participator. I shouldn't have to be pressured into making statements that line up with yours just to save face.

Not only that, you agreed with a poster who said Sony keeps releasing PS4 Ports when reality they just released cross-gen titles. Anyone with a sound state of money would know that will not continue throughout the generations.
I agreed with the statement because I understood what the poster was trying to say. Sony, so far, has only released games that have no big leap in fidelity which would require a lot more time to modify their graphics engines. Most of the games are using the same graphics engine with small upgrades to support things like RT reflections.

There's nothing wrong with that but many people were expecting games that used the SSD and pushing graphics with heavily modified graphics engines (aka Alan Wake 2, Avatar, RoboCop, CP2077, etc..) like the Nanite Unreal Engine demo or the Matrix one. After 3 years, we simply haven't seen that yet from Sony.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Once again it seems pretty foolish to assume that Playstation first party won't or can't push visuals this generation when so few of them have even announced their PS5 only projects yet. Anyone with even a passion interest in and knowledge of game development should know that these things take time. Anything else is just ignorance or bad faith shitposting just meant to fight with a community they aren't willing to coexist with.

DForce

24 Jun 2022
Many people make ridiculous statements. It's a part of being a forum participator. I shouldn't have to be pressured into making statements that line up with yours just to save face.

It's not about making statements that are in line with someone else's opinion. Saying HFW will look like HZD at Ultra setting is just dumb. And so is agreeing with a statement that Sony will keep pushing PS4 Ports for the rest of this generation.

I agreed with the statement because I understood what the poster was trying to say. Sony, so far, has only released games that have no big leap in fidelity which would require a lot more time to modify their graphics engines. Most of the games are using the same graphics engine with small upgrades to support things like RT reflections.

There's nothing wrong with that but many people were expecting games that used the SSD and pushing graphics with heavily modified graphics engines (aka Alan Wake 2, Avatar, RoboCop, CP2077, etc..) like the Nanite Unreal Engine demo or the Matrix one. After 3 years, we simply haven't seen that yet from Sony.

See, you're doing it again.

2013 - Last of US PS3

The-Last-of-Us.png

2013 - Last of Us Remastered

The-Last-of-Us.jpg

2016 - Uncharted 4

uncharted-4-a-thief-s-end-uncharted-playstation-4-men-wallpaper.jpg

2020 - Last of Us Part II

2tlou10.jpg

Wouldn't require a lot more time to modify their engines when we can see the leak that it took from Last of Us 2013 to Uncharted 4. You're pretending there's not enough time to do this.

You don't look at cross-gen titles and say this is what they're going to keep doing for the rest of the generation.

We know Last of Us Part II Remastered isn't an indicator of how their current gen game is going to look, not even Last of Us Part I when it was being developed around the same time as Last of Us Part II.

You also ignore that other studios are also using Unreal Engine.

This is why I can't take you serious because you make statements like this.

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022
It's not about making statements that are in line with someone else's opinion. Saying HFW will look like HZD at Ultra setting is just dumb.
OK. So since you insist on derailing the thread by mentioning this topic over and over again, I might as well tag along to explain my logic in detail. Forgive me mods for participating in this derail yet again -- since it comes up nearly every thread that I am in and won't die.

HFW has the same graphics engine as HZD. Nearly every 3rd party game on all platforms has the PC version doing more than what the consoles can do. This is abundantly clear in this generation. It's been this way for quite some time.

Having this track record, it's not "dumb" to assume that a faster bandwidth console will be able to iterate on a PS4 version of a game to have more features not seen in the PS4 version. Likewise a PC version of a game compared to the console version. When you look at HZD on PC, it has more features available on the PC to make it look better (higher resolution, higher res texture maps, 60FPS, foliage collision detection, etc..) than the PS4 version. Going to the PS5 to make the sequel would mean same graphics engine but higher res textures, higher texture filtering, larger LOD, etc.. these are things the PC was able to do with the original game.

HFW isn't a massive leap or reconstruction compared to the PS4 version. Afterall, the PS4 plays HFW. Again, it's not "dumb" to expect that HFW's technology improvements entail the same improvements done with the PC version of HZD. It has more foliage, larger texture maps, better filtering, vastly improved LOD, etc..

Can we let this die now?

See, you're doing it again.

2013 - Last of US PS3

The-Last-of-Us.png

2013 - Last of Us Remastered

The-Last-of-Us.jpg

2016 - Uncharted 4

uncharted-4-a-thief-s-end-uncharted-playstation-4-men-wallpaper.jpg

2020 - Last of Us Part II

2tlou10.jpg

Wouldn't require a lot more time to modify their engines when we can see the leak that it took from Last of Us 2013 to Uncharted 4. You're pretending there's not enough time to do this.
We aren't discussing previous years. We are discussing this current generation compared to the PS4 generation.

This is why I can't take you serious because you make statements like this.
Please put me on your ignore list so you don't have to worry about my "dumb" statements instead of hijakcing a thread and trying to put me in a box to pick on. It's simply that easy.

• haha
Reactions: arvfab

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
We know next to nothing about how this game plays, how big the world actually is compared to the first. People were hype in 2020. Going on 4 years, I don’t know what he expects when there’s not even a release date
And we have the first as a foundation. Looks good but combat was ass and world had dozens of invisible walls. It was like playing in a room with walls tht were closing in and I'm not being hyperbolic

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

DForce

24 Jun 2022
OK. So since you insist on derailing the thread by mentioning this topic over and over again, I might as well tag along to explain my logic in detail. Forgive me mods for participating in this derail yet again -- since it comes up nearly every thread that I am in and won't die.

HFW has the same graphics engine as HZD. Nearly every 3rd party game on all platforms has the PC version doing more than what the consoles can do. This is abundantly clear in this generation. It's been this way for quite some time.

Having this track record, it's not "dumb" to assume that a faster bandwidth console will be able to iterate on a PS4 version of a game to have more features not seen in the PS4 version. Likewise a PC version of a game compared to the console version. When you look at HZD on PC, it has more features available on the PC to make it look better (higher resolution, higher res texture maps, 60FPS, foliage collision detection, etc..) than the PS4 version. Going to the PS5 to make the sequel would mean same graphics engine but higher res textures, higher texture filtering, larger LOD, etc.. these are things the PC was able to do with the original game.

HFW isn't a massive leap or reconstruction compared to the PS4 version. Afterall, the PS4 plays HFW. Again, it's not "dumb" to expect that HFW's technology improvements entail the same improvements done with the PC version of HZD. It has more foliage, larger texture maps, better filtering, vastly improved LOD, etc..

Can we let this die now?

There's no derailing. You want me to take you seriously and I'm telling you why I shouldn't. This goes against your credibility.

Let me add another thing.

We had a discussion a while back about SSD streaming. I asked you if they were able to stream higher-quality assets (more specifically textures) if they were streaming via an SSD instead of an HDD on the PS5 and you flat out told me no.

I showed you videos and statements from Insomanic stating how that was not true because they were limited in asset streaming. They had to reduce the quality of textures just to fit a small stream window.

Anyone who knew anything about asset streaming knows what you were saying was COMPLETELY false.

When you do stuff as I mentioned in this thread, you really want me to take you seriously?

No chance.
We aren't discussing previous years. We are discussing this current generation compared to the PS4 generation.

Please put me on your ignore list so you don't have to worry about my "dumb" statements instead of hijakcing a thread and trying to put me in a box to pick on. It's simply that easy.

We're barely 3 years out from their last major game in Last of Us Part II

The last game of the PS3 generation was their most graphically impressive game in The Last of Us.

The last generation ended with Last of Us Part II in 2020.

We're STILL within that 3 year time frame and we know they're working on a new game. When you consider these factors, your mind should tell you that they just finished a major game in 2020 and we're only 3 years into this generation. There's more than enough time to enhance their engine for current-gen consoles.

NOPE, you completely ignored all of that. Someone who claims to know a lot about game development (or worked with Unreal as a "job") shouldn't fail as so many basic answers or make these bogus claims.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Can we let this die now?

On a serious note here, i really think Alan Wake looks so much better than Hellblade.

I have seen tonnes of screenshots and that game just looks stunning, way more vibrant and full of colour and atmosphere, to be totally honest it makes Hellblade kinda look more like Hell-bland.

I really hope that they add some environments that actually look nice because atm, whenever i watch videos of Hellblade, all i see is gloom.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
There's no derailing. You want me to take you seriously and I'm telling you why I shouldn't. This goes against your credibility.

We had a discussion a while back about SSD streaming. I asked you if they were able to stream higher-quality assets (more specifically textures) if they were streaming via an SSD instead of an HDD on the PS5 and you flat out told me no.

I showed you videos and statements from Insomanic stating how that was not true because they were limited in asset streaming. They had to reduce the quality of textures just to fit a small stream window.

Anyone who knew anything about asset streaming knows what you were saying was COMPLETELY false.

When you do stuff as I mentioned in this thread, you really want me to take you seriously?

No chance.

The last game of the PS3 generation was their most graphically impressive game in The Last of Us.

The last generation ended with Last of Us Part II in 2020.

We're STILL within that 3 year time frame and we know they're working on a new game. When you consider these factors, your mind should tell you that they just finished a major game in 2020 and we're only 3 years into this generation. There's more than enough time to enhance their engine for current-gen consoles.

NOPE, you completely ignored all of that. Someone who claims to know a lot about game development (or worked with Unreal as a "job") shouldn't fail as so many basic answers or make these bogus claims.
It’s VFX Veteran. He’s as full of shit as Phil Spencer.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
really hope that they add some environments that actually look nice because atm, whenever i watch videos of Hellblade, all i see is gloom.
The visuals are good, but so far samey, Death Stranding looked kind of like it took place in a similar environment (rocks/caves and a bit of green). It really depends how they handle it.

What seemed underwhelming were the flashes of combat, the animation did not seem up to par with the rest. Obviously, these are short clips, so who knows?

On the bright side, they had tons of time to pay attention to details, work the story and what not. If Ninja Theory is to have their big break this is it.

Reactions: arvfab and Sircaw

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Ratchet, Plague Requiem.

Edit: Alan Wake 2
Forgot about Alan Wake 2, those environments are nuts. But yeah I'd still rank this trailer above those.

I judge a game's graphics by how close it looks to CG. With The Order, Ratchet, and this game being the only ones that pass that test.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Yeah, the general public aren't going to jump out of their seats for an Xbox exclusive sequel to a game that was relatively niche last generation.
I think it would help if they brought back the outfit of the PS3 game. It was much less bleak as well.

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Forgot about Alan Wake 2, those environments are nuts. But yeah I'd still rank this trailer above those.

I judge a game's graphics by how close it looks to CG. With The Order, Ratchet, and this game being the only ones that pass that test.
I mean thts a metric but I take into account what type of game it is whether open world, semi open or linear. When a game thts open world has great graphics to me it trumps a more linear one even if that linear one is doing some better things just due to it being generally less complex. I mean graphics are graphics you can make a ten minute game or demo slice thts linear and it can trump all games in graphics which is why complexity plays a big part for me. It's why Rockstar Games are really a gaming feat considering they are making all tht look good in an open world.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

Frozone

Banned
11 Aug 2022

I don't care if you take me seriously. I don't know you from adam. Who the hell is DForce? What previous name did you go by on GAF? I also have no idea what you are talking about... so moving on.

Doesn't matter. There are 3rd party companies that have always pushed tech forward and new ones that do it each generation. Sony hasn't pushed rendering tech forward for awhile now (definitely not PS4 nor will for PS5 era).

Nvidia has been the sole company to push hardware tech forward for years. And that makes 3rd party companies be able to use that tech today -- not in another year or more from now. Granted people have to pay a premium but the cost isn't the point.

Someone who claims to know a lot about game development (or worked with Unreal as a "job") shouldn't fail as so many basic answers or make these bogus claims.
I'm so sorry that you are jealous. Get over it buddy.

/ignore

• haha
Reactions: kuzon and arvfab