Share your ridiculous conspiracy theories and urban legends here! (No real-world politics, just being silly!)

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
From a boat
220px-Curvatura_2.gif

Same effect can be observed with mountains.
That's not caused by Earth curve.
All this argument does is demonstrate when someone has a complete lack of knowledge and research on the topic.

Here's an experiment where the exact same effect is replicated at a much smaller scale, where there is no curvature.

And if that's not enough for you, you can even do this experiment yourself at home with a coin and a table:
Look down the surface of the table from one end, with your eyes at the same level as the table. Put a coin right up to your face then move it down the surface of the table away from you. The bottom of the coin will start to disappear.
Is the table curved?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Skip to the :50 sec mark:

"at that height? YOU DON'T SEE THE CURVATURE OF THE EARTH" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
The SR-71 didn't fly at the same altitude as commercial flights do.
220px-View_from_the_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

This is not lens distortion in this case.

Some of its pilots are considered as having been to space.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
The SR-71 didn't fly at the same altitude as commercial flights do.
220px-View_from_the_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

This is not lens distortion in this case.

Some of its pilots are considered as having been to space.

NDT is straight up telling you that at the height of the Red Bull "edge of space" jump, you would not be able to see earth curvature. That jump was at an altitude of 128,000 feet.

Screenshot-2023-07-28-at-11-03-59-AM.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Falcs

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
You can see the curvature of earth from a plane. It's just not super obvious. You'll need to take a photo and get out a ruler. It's easier with a wide angle camera but not required.

View attachment 1940

There's a problem with airplanes: The window is not "flat", and distorts. Also, there's always lens distortion to contend with:

765x431

MeAll3.jpg

However, I may be wrong, and Mr DeGrasse may also be (I haven't done any substantial research around this, so take this one study with a grain of salt)

From a boat
220px-Curvatura_2.gif

Same effect can be observed with mountains.

Mountains, boats, buildings, powerlines...

That's not caused by Earth curve.
All this argument does is demonstrate when someone has a complete lack of knowledge and research on the topic.

No, you just don't understand how reality works.

And if that's not enough for you, you can even do this experiment yourself at home with a coin and a table:
Look down the surface of the table from one end, with your eyes at the same level as the table. Put a coin right up to your face then move it down the surface of the table away from you. The bottom of the coin will start to disappear.
Is the table curved?

No, the bottom of the coin does not start disappearing if your eyesight is parallel to the table. Please educate yourself on what a vanishing point is and what happens when something goes below the horizon. i.e. they are not the same thing.

Also, I can't be arsed to write much more because at this stage I'm just punishing myself by arguing with people that hold the weirdest of beliefs about reality, so here's a very nice video that I'm sure you will ignore.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
And a very nice series of videos that destroy medieval beliefs better than I could.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
There's a problem with airplanes: The window is not "flat", and distorts. Also, there's always lens distortion to contend with:

765x431

MeAll3.jpg

However, I may be wrong, and Mr DeGrasse may also be (I haven't done any substantial research around this, so take this one study with a grain of salt)
Sure. which is why I posted a picture from a camera external to the plane. Regardless of window distortion effects, you can compensate for those. If it really were window lens distortion giving the "appearance" of the horizon being curved then the horizon should bend and appear concave or convex at various points and viewing angles from the window. I challenge you to demonstrate this.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
lmao if the curvature were actually that pronounced, you would be able to very easily get an image of left to right curvature on the horizon, but you can't without making the lens do the curving work. Unreal stuff lol.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
Earth is an enclosed system, possibly a dome. Making space travel impossible by humans and aliens straight up nonexistent. Planets and stars are lights.

Last edited:
  • thinking_hard

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Appeal to authority.
to be fair, the altitude at which we see the curvature is not something we could possibly verify. At this point you have to retort to an expert.

That being said, I stand by my the picture taken from the blackbird... I also heard a pilot in an interview.

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
I haven't done any substantial research around this,
Correct.
You guys fail to realise that we actually understand your side of the debate better than you do because we've actually done the research. You haven't.

No, the bottom of the coin does not start disappearing if your eyesight is parallel to the table.
Yes, it literally does. Try it.
Evidence right here:

I expect this will be the end of the discussion on this particular argument.

here's a very nice video that I'm sure you will ignore.
I've already seen all these arguments. All the points in these FE debunk videos that take 2 seconds to Google have been addressed point by point by others. @Nym posted about this here. These deboonkers never engage in debate, and they never make responses to when someone addresses their arguments. Never.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Nym

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Correct.
You guys fail to realise that we actually understand your side of the debate better than you do because we've actually done the research. You haven't.

Evidence right here:

I've already seen all these arguments. All the points in these FE debunk videos that take 2 seconds to Google have been addressed point by point by others. @Nym posted about this here. These deboonkers never engage in debate, and they never make responses to when someone addresses their arguments. Never.
What do you want? There is no such thing as flat earth. So there is no 'you side of debate'.
There is just imbeciles people with loads of free time.

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
to be fair, the altitude at which we see the curvature is not something we could possibly verify. At this point you have to retort to an expert.

That being said, I stand by my the picture taken from the blackbird... I also heard a pilot in an interview.

How can you not verify?

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Evidence right here:
YouTube KSCsCvrRIss
YouTube KSCsCvrRIss

You do know that football / rugby / American football pitches are not flat, RIGHT?

Thank you for proving that in a not flat surface, things vanish behind the curvature.

Falcs

23 Jun 2022
You do know that football / rugby / American football pitches are not flat, RIGHT?

Thank you for proving that in a not flat surface, things vanish behind the curvature.

I see, so you're just going to ignore the table experiment. You know, the actual thing we were talking about? Not the football field?

Also, according to your link the crown on a field is about 1 foot. That guy walks away and ends up having half his body disappear. I suppose you'll tell me that field probably has a 3foot crown?

But anyway, do tell me your thoughts on the table. I'm curious what explanation you can find for that one.

But seriously. Do try it at home. You'll be surprised the same thing will happen.
You might need to get someone to move the coin back and forth for you. Just tell them you're trying to debunk a stupid flat earth argument and see what they say when the result proves me right. 😆

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I see, so you're just going to ignore the table experiment. You know, the actual thing we were talking about? Not the football field?

Also, according to your link the crown on a field is about 1 foot. That guy walks away and ends up having half his body disappear. I suppose you'll tell me that field probably has a 3foot crown?

But anyway, do tell me your thoughts on the table. I'm curious what explanation you can find for that one.

But seriously. Do try it at home. You'll be surprised the same thing will happen.
You might need to get someone to move the coin back and forth for you. Just tell them you're trying to debunk a stupid flat earth argument and see what they say when the result proves me right. 😆

Dude, seek treatment.

• noneofmybizz