Shawn Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
ghost-of-tsushima-2-confirmed-as-ghost-of-yotei-at-state-of_3vap.jpg

Source

Earlier this week during Sony's State of Play, the company announced Ghost of Yotei, the first sequel to the acclaimed Ghost of Tsushima. But instead of continuing the story of Jin Sakai, Ghost of Yotei jumps ahead a few centuries and introduces a new female ronin named Atsu, who has adopted Jin's Ghost persona as her own. Somewhat predictably, Atsu's very existence has already sparked a backlash from gamers who don't want to play as a heroine. That led to a direct response from ex-Sony executive Shawn Layden.

Layden, who was the former chairman of Sony Interactive Entertainment Worldwide Studios, reacted to a post on X that complained about Atsu. Layden's reply was simple: "It's a game. If you don't like it, don't buy it."

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Man these anti-woke conspirante guys is really trying to kill the industry lol
Like Layden said if you don't like it then don't buy it.
Let others enjoy and buy it.
oh, anti-woke trying to kill the industry. really? 😂

the ones that made this whole industry. yeah right. fuck out of here with this nonsense.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Boswollox

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
oh, anti-woke trying to kill the industry. really? 😂

the ones that made this whole industry. yeah right. fuck out of here with this nonsense.
The ones that made the industry since ever were not woke or anti-woke 🤷‍♂️
They could do whatever they think in their games without these woke or anti-woke come and hate them.

• brain
Reactions: The Icon

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
Didn’t the CEO of EA say something similar about battlefield 5 and it completely flopped? Sonys really backed themselves into a corner first party wise jumping in at the deep end with all this stuff. I don’t think the market will reward them nor be kind going forward. 2024 has been a turning point for this stuff.

Also:

• sad
Reactions: Kokoloko

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Why is it consumers fault but not the companies pushing this crap?
I won't call them consumers...
But there are a small parcel of vocal gamers that hates everything and tries everything to spread that hate with made up narratives in the social networks.
And I won't be petty here because anti-Sony guys like some Steam and Xbox dudes ties together to spread that hate narrative.

I will ask you why should a company not release games like Ghost of Yotei? What really is to blame here?
Since when delivery games can be considered "pushing this crap"? lol

Blame the companies for weird strategies like focus in the wrong business (PC?) instead to hate every single game they delivery that is not for you.

• brain

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
The ones that made the industry since ever were not woke or anti-woke 🤷‍♂️
They could do whatever they think in their games without these woke or anti-woke come and hate them.
all of that is called anti-woke in today's rhetoric.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
all of that is called anti-woke in today's rhetoric.
Nah.

You can see in the social networds... anti-woke hate really exists.
They hate even God of War (2018) that you have in your profile pricture.
There are sites and tons of posts pushing the narrative it is a bad game behind the excuse to being anti-woke / DEI.

Ohhh and Xbots and some Steam crybabys surfs in your own hate... using it to spread even more narratives.

The hate Sony and their games receives in forums and social networks is something no other game company receives.

• brain

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
I won't call them consumers...
But there are a small parcel of vocal gamers that hates everything and tries everything to spread that hate with made up narratives in the social networks.
And I won't be petty here because anti-Sony guys like some Steam and Xbox dudes ties together to spread that hate narrative.

I will ask you why should a company not release games like Ghost of Yotei? What really is to blame here?
Since when delivery games can be considered "pushing this crap"? lol

Blame the companies for weird strategies like focus in the wrong business (PC?) instead to hate every single game they delivery that is not for you.
If a company wants to make money they would understand who the game buying and purchasing demographic is, and what the environment for what is popular is. Right now, there is an extreme backlash to "woke." Its so severe right now even having a whiff of it is enough to sink entire projects before they're out. Sony picked that actress (actor?) precisely because of his/her background. They knew this backlash was a possibility and this is the path they chose.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Didn’t the CEO of EA say something similar about battlefield 5 and it completely flopped? Sonys really backed themselves into a corner first party wise jumping in at the deep end with all this stuff. I don’t think the market will reward them nor be kind going forward. 2024 has been a turning point for this stuff.

Also:

Why is this Piece of shit grifter is not a banned source from this place as yet. Seeing where some of you align and the folks y'all reference, say it all.

• they're_right_you_know

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
And Shawn is right! Don't support it, cash is king, power of the wallet talks. Shut the fuck up and move on if y'all hate the game.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
And Shawn is right! Don't support it, cash is king, power of the wallet talks. Shut the fuck up and move on if y'all hate the game.

Is it ok for people to discuss why they aren't excited for something or only if they are excited

Reactions: Boswollox

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Why is this Piece of shit grifter is not a banned source from this place as yet. Seeing where some of you align and the folks y'all reference, say it all.
even if he is a piece of shit, shared information still legit facts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
even if he is a piece of shit, shared information still legit facts.
"Cry more" 🤣...

Hate to break it to ya, we're all on the same forum commenting in the same thread... Get some self awareness

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
If a company wants to make money they would understand who the game buying and purchasing demographic is, and what the environment for what is popular is. Right now, there is an extreme backlash to "woke." Its so severe right now even having a whiff of it is enough to sink entire projects before they're out. Sony picked that actress (actor?) precisely because of his/her background. They knew this backlash was a possibility and this is the path they chose.
So don't buy the game....

But don't try to make others not buy it... or push anti-woke narratives.... stop the hate.
I'm not against what you believe is correct.

I'm against at pushing very weird narrative because you believe others have to follow what you think is correct.
And this is killing the industry.