Shinji Mikami, founder and CEO of Xbox's Tango Gameworks, is leaving the company

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
He made Tango to train young directors. Johannas directed TEW2 and HiFi Rush, the 2 games that define Tango.

Job well done, Mikami-san.

Enjoy your retirement in peace !
EW2 was a commercial flop so is hifirush. Also he hasn’t said he’s retiring. It’s more than likely he’s gotten work elsewhere. Tencent and netease have been aggressively recruiting Japanese devs also capcom and even ps would be interested in funding him or putting him on a project.

D

Deleted member 417

If he was retiring, his leaving message would be thanking him for his X amount of years of work and contributions to the industry. Not "cheers, all the best in the future"

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
EW2 was a commercial flop so is hifirush. Also he hasn’t said he’s retiring. It’s more than likely he’s gotten work elsewhere. Tencent and netease have been aggressively recruiting Japanese devs also capcom and even ps would be interested in funding him or putting him on a project.
He burned bridges with Sony back in the PS2 days, so don’t bet on them being interested.

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
My guess is he never wanted to be acquired by none of the platform holders. Bethesda sold to Microsoft he had to leave. There is nothing really to it

Reactions: shrike0fth0rns

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
My guess is he never wanted to be acquired by none of the platform holders. Bethesda sold to Microsoft he had to leave. There is nothing really to it
Yep he’s a Japanese developer who wouldn’t be able to get Japanese gamers access to his games because they would now be exclusive to a console platform that’s dead in Japan. He couldn’t have been happy with that situation at all. I’d expect more of his team to follow him out the door.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
If he was retiring, his leaving message would be thanking him for his X amount of years of work and contributions to the industry. Not "cheers, all the best in the future"

He hasn't made any message one way or another, this is all from a leaked Bethesda email which they have now corroborated over twitter.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I have my doubts that he's done making games.
The Bethesda statement suggest he has plans to continue making
He hasn't made any message one way or another, this is all from a leaked Bethesda email which they have now corroborated over twitter.
No Bethesda released an official statement! They say he’s leaving and they thank him for his work and wish him well. Xbox says sht like this every time a major name leaves. He is definitely moving on to something else. He isn’t going out on a game like hifirush a game no one is playing, sold like sht and no one will remember in a few months.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
What would be telling is who follows him out the door. Sometimes the exodus follows the leader in a synchronized fashion while in other times it's a trickle within a year span as these individuals start to make the decisions for themselves and work out the exit strategy. If it's just him then, it's indeed a loss but other key talent was retained. We shall see within the year how it develops.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Example number 1000 about why these acquisitions don't work. I said it ages ago when this whole thing started.

People just leave.

It's not a new phenomenon. And it will continue to happen with acquisitions in the future as well.
It’s funny to see how the standard contractual obligation to stick around for two years after a buyout isn’t that much different in end result than when nobody had those clauses.

As soon as possible after a buyout, the execs jump ship, every time.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
No Bethesda released an official statement! They say he’s leaving and they thank him for his work and wish him well. Xbox says sht like this every time a major name leaves. He is definitely moving on to something else. He isn’t going out on a game like hifirush a game no one is playing, sold like sht and no one will remember in a few months.

Yeah they put that tweet out after the internal Betheda email got leaked. Announcing a 1 image tweet is probably no ones idea of saying this but it was a quick reply in response of the leak.

24 Jun 2022
I didn't notice that he posted this 4 months ago, maybe he isn't retiring but going back to Capcom or Platinum:

FpqYJIBXwAAirmF

In the leaked capcom roadmap, there were mentions to Final Fight and Power Stone remakes under development, plus a couple of games that could also be remakes: "Captain Commando" and "new Onimusha title".

Considering that Mikami directed and produced Dino Crisis, it would make sense he may want to remake it, or considering that Kamiya directed DMC and Mikami executive produced it, we could think they may be interested on remaking one of them. But DMC and DC aren't mentioned in the roadmap.

In the roadmap (considering covid delays) Onimusha woud be released pretty soon, while Final Fight, Captain Commando and Power Stone would be still far from release. There's also projects codenamed "Resident Evil Hunk" or "Resident Evil Apocalypse", which could be remakes or simply codenames for DLCs. As "Resident Evil Outrage" (mistranslated as Outbreak by the leaker), which was the codename of the released RE Village Gold/DLC and not a brand new game (Dusk Gollem was wrong again with that).

Wait, a POWER STONE remake!? That would be very surprising if it happens. Final Fight makes a lot of sense though.

Who is mike brown?

Head of the Forza Horizon 5 team at Playground Games. He and a few others left earlier this year to start their own development studio.

Yep he’s a Japanese developer who wouldn’t be able to get Japanese gamers access to his games because they would now be exclusive to a console platform that’s dead in Japan. He couldn’t have been happy with that situation at all. I’d expect more of his team to follow him out the door.

Yeah, people think the only thing all developers care about is making money, so they're over the hill for being bought out because hey! It's a fat payday!!

But truth is there are still a lot of creatively-driven developers in this industry, and developers who care about the community they've built with their customers & fans over many years, especially if that's been on a given platform or ecosystem.

You remove those things from them and no amount of money will be enough to have them stick around. I don't think companies like Microsoft, actually understand this.

Example number 1000 about why these acquisitions don't work. I said it ages ago when this whole thing started.

People just leave.

It's not a new phenomenon. And it will continue to happen with acquisitions in the future as well.

It depends on the type of acquisition and who's the buyer, IMO. I think if, say, Sony or Nintendo acquired Tango Gameworks, you wouldn't see Shinji Mikami leaving. Maybe.

I think if, say, Playground Games were acquired by Sony, Mike Brown & co likely would not have left. Microsoft's problem is they are now acquiring giant publishers; that's a LOT of personnel to integrate, things to suddenly manage, AND do so without neglecting what you already have (or making the talent or teams you already have, feel like they're being neglected or needs not served).

That's precisely a reason why Sony haven't been targeting giant publishers; if that type of load is a lot for even them to take on, how did Microsoft think they could do it with Zenimax AND ABK, considering many of their internal teams prior to those were in a weaker position than any of Sony's studios already? They are taking on too much at once; if they get ABK that will just increase the load and all of that pressure could cause a lot of things to start failing.

And fast.

Last edited:

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
He hasn’t made a game in a long time and MS wouldn’t stand in the way of him making anything he wants to make. He’s either retiring or he’s one of those creators who enjoys the challenge of starting from scratch. It’s not uncommon for people to take the payday and go start something of their own, same thing the Playground people did not too long ago.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Would not be surprised if he's overseeing projects at capcom as a producer/ consultant for projects he originally had made.

We probably will hear more once Street fighter 6, comes out.

Would not surprise me when That Dino mech game capcom has comes out we get some leaks.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
He's 57 years old and so fucking rich. Pretty likely he's simply retiring to enjoy his Ferrari.

He had a great career:
  • Game designer: Who Framed Roger Rabbit (GB), Aladdin (SNES), Goof Troop
  • Writer: Killer 7
  • Director: RE, RE Director's Cut, Dino Crisis, RE4, P.N.03, God Hand, Vanquish, Evil Within
  • Producer: RE2, RE3, Dino Crisis, RE Code Veronica, Steel Battalion, ("Creative producer") Shadows of the Damned
  • Executive producer: Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Dino Crisis 3, Viewtiful Joe, Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations, Killer 7, Ace Attorney - Justice for All, Evil Within 2, Hi-Fi Rush
  • Advisor or executive advisor: Onimusha, RE 0, Resident Evil: Gaiden

Yoshida's work is basically to curate and support cool indies who develop for PlayStation. So he often visits indie studios or meet them at industry events around the world.

Not related to acquisitions at all, but sometimes they sign some (often temporal, often console, sometimes limited to marketing) 3rd party exclusives with them.
If one is retiring, you generally announce it, not simply “leave”