Shinji Mikami, founder and CEO of Xbox's Tango Gameworks, is leaving the company

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I didn't notice that he posted this 4 months ago, maybe he isn't retiring but going back to Capcom or Platinum:

FpqYJIBXwAAirmF

In the leaked capcom roadmap, there were mentions to Final Fight and Power Stone remakes under development, plus a couple of games that could also be remakes: "Captain Commando" and "new Onimusha title".

Considering that Mikami directed and produced Dino Crisis, it would make sense he may want to remake it, or considering that Kamiya directed DMC and Mikami executive produced it, we could think they may be interested on remaking one of them. But DMC and DC aren't mentioned in the roadmap.

In the roadmap (considering covid delays) Onimusha woud be released pretty soon, while Final Fight, Captain Commando and Power Stone would be still far from release. There's also projects codenamed "Resident Evil Hunk" or "Resident Evil Apocalypse", which could be remakes or simply codenames for DLCs. As "Resident Evil Outrage" (mistranslated as Outbreak by the leaker), which was the codename of the released RE Village Gold/DLC and not a brand new game (Dusk Gollem was wrong again with that).
It is obvious he is not retiring… he is not that old.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Yes, did you ?

He's been talking about it since 2020.

If he thinks he has in him to establish another studio and get another team together, good on him.

But if he decides to hang his hat here, it will not be surprising based on comments he's made over the past few years.
No. He is joking since 50.
He has no intention to stop.
Seems like even has already a project to work.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Microsoft's problem is they are now acquiring giant publishers; that's a LOT of personnel to integrate, things to suddenly manage, AND do so without neglecting what you already have (or making the talent or teams you already have, feel like they're being neglected or needs not served).
I have not done any merger and acquisition, but I think that your point makes sense.

What I think they should do, at least until things settle, is to keep a mostly hands off approach. They make only guidelines about where the games are published, add official Xbox studios logo on marketing material and at the start of the game. Maybe a year or two later, after they had people inside for a while, get some more direct involvement in the projects, after all they bought a company for whatever it did well, logically you don't want to disrupt that. So maybe broad orientation on which games get made, but not right away.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If one is retiring, you generally announce it, not simply “leave”
Well, knowing that 4 months ago he mentioned on his personal FB that they submitted the trailer of an unannounced Tango + Platinum + Capcom remake, I now think that instead of retiring he may go back to Platinum or Capcom, for at least that project (in case his part wasn't already completed).

Reactions: Shmunter