SIE is looking for business partnerships with Korean companies, collaboration / investment options with Pearl Abyss, Neowiz, Com2uS, and NCSOFT etc

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

Sony, a global video game powerhouse, is promoting close business cooperation with the domestic content industry. As the Korean game industry is expanding its horizons with video games and augmented reality content, and as the conflict between the governments of Korea and Japan eases, it is possible to add momentum to the expansion of content collaboration between the two countries. Reporter Seo Jeong-geun reports

Sony is cornered as Microsoft (MS) pushes to acquire Activision Blizzard. After 30 years of competing with Sony for video game content, Microsoft's ultimate acquisition of Blizzard would leave Sony in a corner.

Apple recently announced the launch of Apple Vision Pro, a headset dedicated to XR content. Apple's entry into the race for mixed immersive content, which is considered the next battleground between Sony and Microsoft, has heightened Sony's tensions.

Sony has recently been paying attention to the Korean content industry and is making efforts to secure allies. This is because in Korea, where PC online and mobile games were the mainstay, the proportion of video game production is gradually expanding and attracting attention.

n addition to the achievements of the video game versions of PUBG and Black Desert, Neowiz's P's Falsehood, Shift Up's Stellar Blade, and NCSoft's TL are attracting attention as they are being developed as video games one after another.

Sony is pursuing business alliances and collaborations with them. In particular, Pearl Abyss, which is about to release 'Red Desert', is discussing a partnership plan, including equity investment, to secure exclusive content from Sony.

Neowiz, Comtus, and NCSoft are also among the partners who are looking to expand their collaboration with Sony.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Yay. More GaaS crap.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

• noneofmybizz
  • haha
Reactions: EDMIX and Jim Ryan

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
More random Korean studios that don't help their console business at all.

Neowiz is Lies Of P but why are you wasting time with this when FROM is right there?

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Yay. More GaaS crap.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

Would you rather Sony have their 1P teams making the GaaS?

Personally I hope this is signaling a shift in their budget allocations between traditional AAA and GaaS/live-service titles. Specifically, scaling back the budget on the latter some and using that to push towards traditional AAA and AA games (altho some I'd expect to have live-service elements in them like GT7 or MLB The Show) instead, and leverage smart partnerships for growing into GaaS with 3P devs.

Also not all of those teams are GaaS-focused; Shift Up isn't, for example. I hope this also means Sony are looking to get more involved with DokeV, we haven't heard an update on that game in a while and the trailer was amazing.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
I think of it more as a continuation of China Hero/India Hero and an attempt to get Koreans to finally start buying consoles. Heck Microsoft tried a version of this too recently, its just that the result was the awful Crossfire X.

24 Jun 2022
I think of it more as a continuation of China Hero/India Hero and an attempt to get Koreans to finally start buying consoles. Heck Microsoft tried a version of this too recently, its just that the result was the awful Crossfire X.

Did you expect anything better from Microsoft when it comes to Asia? 🤣

Their best bet right now is further strengthening the strategic partnership with Sega/Atlus. Which I guess going by Sarah Bond's tweet, might be the plan (even if that was for the Europe side which is more PC-centric).

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Did you expect anything better from Microsoft when it comes to Asia? 🤣

Their best bet right now is further strengthening the strategic partnership with Sega/Atlus. Which I guess going by Sarah Bond's tweet, might be the plan (even if that was for the Europe side which is more PC-centric).
I expected the game to at least be competent. It didn't grow the brand at all outside of Korea, only tarnished it, the devs shouldn't have been okay with making and releasing it.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven

Personally I hope this is signaling a shift in their budget allocations between traditional AAA and GaaS/live-service titles. Specifically, scaling back the budget on the latter some and using that to push towards traditional AAA and AA games (altho some I'd expect to have live-service elements in them like GT7 or MLB The Show) instead, and leverage smart partnerships for growing into GaaS with 3P devs.

Also not all of those teams are GaaS-focused; Shift Up isn't, for example. I hope this also means Sony are looking to get more involved with DokeV, we haven't heard an update on that game in a while and the trailer was amazing.
I'd rather have them secure IPs they had access to for decades, as opposed to going after random studios with no IPs. They already lost access to some major titles.

These studios won't offset the loss of popular IPs PS players played on PS for decades. A mix is good. Focusing on just one is not.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

there was a rumor making the rounds recently that DokeV was vaporware and a fake trailer made to attract investment in the company

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Yay. More GaaS crap.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF
Not necessarily also I’m not sure why everyone is obsessed with hating on gaas it’s been part of gaming in some form for decades and some of my founders memories growing up is playing gaas. Gaas can be brilliant and incredible social communities are built around some gaas games.

24 Jun 2022
I expected the game to at least be competent. It didn't grow the brand at all outside of Korea, only tarnished it, the devs shouldn't have been okay with making and releasing it.

All the same, weren't there people at Microsoft Xbox checking up on the state of the game? Someone there had to see how the game was coming along, and somehow still thought that was quality enough to release.

The sad part being, it was an actual Xbox exclusive. Only on Xbox™, no PC release. The first genuine Xbox exclusive in ages...and it was hot garbage.

there was a rumor making the rounds recently that DokeV was vaporware and a fake trailer made to attract investment in the company

I genuinely hope that's false. Would hurt hard if it was never meant to be an actual game.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Wouldn’t mind a partnership with ncsoft. Aren’t they the ones rumored to be working on the horizon mmo? Also ProjectLLL looks pretty fcking good. The combat in games like blade and soul is fire. They could make some pretty good single player games if they have it a try.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Pearl abyss makes good looking games with slick looking combat but they s black desert lack a layer of narrative depth. Never felt real attached to any of the quest. Crimson Desert is promising so is Plan 8. Those might be solid console exclusive gets