SIE is looking for business partnerships with Korean companies, collaboration / investment options with Pearl Abyss, Neowiz, Com2uS, and NCSOFT etc

24 Jun 2022
I'd rather have them secure IPs they had access to for decades, as opposed to going after random studios with no IPs. They already lost access to some major titles.

These studios won't offset the loss of popular IPs PS players played on PS for decades. A mix is good. Focusing on just one is not.

I agree with that, and if Sony are being smart they will be looking to established players with valuable IP as well, not just upstarts with no IP.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Thanks for the info! That's more than I expexted. I feel like some time ago Sony just suddenly stopped talking about this project.
If you haven't checked them out, both anno mutationem and forged in shadow torch are solid 8/10 indie/single A level games. Both are action sidescrollers, although anno is a bit more unique and FIST is more traditional

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
As a collab/support? Because thats still Guerilla.
Ncsoft was rumored to be working on a larger mmo horizon mmo. Guerilla was said to be working on a horizon multiplayer game those might not be the same project. If a horizon mmorpg type game is in development doubt Guerilla would handle that themselves if it were smaller scale like a monster hunter type game they probably would keep that in house.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'm really looking forward to the Chinese and Korean attempts to make a COD killer....

First up.... Call of Communism

Second.... Call of Communism Korea

Disclosure: I started from the acronym and worked backwards.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I'm really looking forward to the Chinese and Korean attempts to make a COD killer....

First up.... Call of Communism

Second.... Call of Communism Korea

Disclosure: I started from the acronym and worked backwards.
FYI south korea isn't communist

That said a korean gaas studio making an fps would probably be more aptly named Call of Creditcards: Infinite Chargebacks

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
How many games of the China Hero Project have actually materialized? That makes me a bit worried, I'd rather see them working more with SEGA, Capcom, Square, etc. again...
The china hero project is just about cultivating local Indy talent Sony isnt pumping all that much money into it. We are talking about less than 200k in the small projects. It’s worth even just as a source of good pr.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
How many games of the China Hero Project have actually materialized? That makes me a bit worried, I'd rather see them working more with SEGA, Capcom, Square, etc. again...
Sega is garbage forget about them they milk a couple of ip they pc business isn’t doing so good most of their high profile talent left and went over to netease. Capcom on is taking billion from the Saudis who have a stake in them now. Sony should focus on square, buying Konami ip, from which is wasted by kodakawa. Sony should also buy level 5 and turn them loose on the back catalogue of jrpgs that’s an untapped nostalgia gold mine.

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

That said a korean gaas studio making an fps would probably be more aptly named Call of Creditcards: Infinite Chargebacks

I know, I am a blackbelt in ITF Chang hon style Taekwon-do.... where we have to study some history of Korea too.

But, yeah...I know a fair amount about things like the DMZ, 38th parallel and pretty obscure stuff to westerners like Juche etc.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'd rather have them secure IPs they had access to for decades, as opposed to going after random studios with no IPs. They already lost access to some major titles.

These studios won't offset the loss of popular IPs PS players played on PS for decades. A mix is good. Focusing on just one is not.
What IPs are we talking about? Cod and gta and that type of garbage? How many actual older ip are still relevant today? I’d rather ps build up new teams make new ip. Diversify by branching out into other genres or studios/publishers with unique skill sets.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Shift UP is only the parent who own the actual developer of Stellar Blade (Eve studio).
I could see Sony pull off the same move they did to buy out Firewalk from their parent company.
Neo Wiz could be also interesting for Sony. I played the demo of Lies of P, and it was quite astounding. Neo Wiz has potential. Also it would be good to secure some Korean Studios for PlayStation studios, would make them more popular in Korea.

Reactions: ghostdog

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Shift UP is only the parent who own the actual developer of Stellar Blade (Eve studio).
I could see Sony pull off the same move they did to buy out Firewalk from their parent company.
Neo Wiz could be also interesting for Sony. I played the demo of Lies of P, and it was quite astounding. Neo Wiz has potential. Also it would be good to secure some Korean Studios for PlayStation studios, would make them more popular in Korea.
Tencent alrdy has a stake in shiftup. they developed a mobile game for them and I think recent would move to squire them first to utilize them on future projects.

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yay. More GaaS crap.

sarcastic sarcasm GIF
As far as we know, Stellar Blade isn't a GaaS.

Wouldn’t mind a partnership with ncsoft. Aren’t they the ones rumored to be working on the horizon mmo?
Yes, but there's also rumors of Miyamoto developing Knack 3 as Xbox excllusive.

Now seriously: NC Soft collaborating with Sony/Guerrilla to make an Horizon kinda MMORPG makes a lot of sense, helping them to grow in GaaS and Asia via mainly PC or mobile, But as of now it's a random rumor from internet that as I remember came from a weak source.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

I can't wait to liberate Dokdo over and over again.