SIE is looking for business partnerships with Korean companies, collaboration / investment options with Pearl Abyss, Neowiz, Com2uS, and NCSOFT etc

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Yes like the partnership with Bethesda and Starfield only to see them acquired by a rival.

Sony needs to get its finger out and acquire now.

It’s a matter of survival now.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I agree with that, and if Sony are being smart they will be looking to established players with valuable IP as well, not just upstarts with no IP.
Yeah, to buy studios ilke Psygnosis, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla or Insomniac was an awful idea. So to buy people like Bungie, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firewalk or Haven must be a bad idea too.

Now seriously: it's better to get the talent who knows to make top successful new IP, specially if already worked closely with them for a long period of time.

If in the process they get some great IP cool, but if not it's better to go for the talent. Specially because if MS already has issues with regulators when making big acquisitions while being the last one in the race, Sony being the market leader would have way more issues with regulators, so they must be very careful.

Also, after some time most game IPs get outdated or irrelevant, or either players or devs get bored of them and they may need to die or rest for a while: this is not an issue if these devs have a history of pumping great stuff and particularly great new IPs. If not they may spend a ton to get some IP that can be irrelevant in a few years and instead get hundreds or thousands of devs who aren't capable to do awesome stuff after many years.

Remember what happened when MS bought certain big IPs after they lost most of the talent behind them. They have to be careful to don't buy only names without having proper teams to work on them or to release similar new ones.

Reactions: Zzero

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
Sony should buy at least one very very big publisher like Take Two or EA, and Square (not as big as other pubs but have strong relationship with Sony), and after that spend most money on creating studios from the groundup or looking for small teams. Creativity requires passion and patience, I think it is better for Sony to carefully build the foundation. Nintendo has been able to remain their strong output of innovation because it can always harvest talents within the company, so even if the game's original creator no longer makes games, the creator's successors can still handle the tasks.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony is always about moving forward and finding new content to bring in newer players or keep players enaged. I like that about them. They know when to move on most times.... Sometimes they get it wrong, but I prefer this approach.

Invest and curate talent. They should definitely get more aggressive with securing 3rd party content and IP's... But I don't want them to go on a buying spree as a reactionary move. They need to expedite to their studio expansions....

And please fix their relationship with Japanese developers. Relaunch Japan Studios... I still can't believe they were so short sighted to do what they did.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony should buy at least one very very big publisher like Take Two or EA, and Square (not as big as other pubs but have strong relationship with Sony), and after that spend most money on creating studios from the groundup or looking for small teams. Creativity requires passion and patience, I think it is better for Sony to carefully build the foundation. Nintendo has been able to remain their strong output of innovation because it can always harvest talents within the company, so even if the game's original creator no longer makes games, the creator's successors can still handle the tasks.

Capcom + Square + From = Take Two

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
As I mentioned above, one big publisher with a golden goose needs to be acquired first to ensure a stable stream of revenue .
All three pubs I mentioned still wouldn't cost as much as the two you mentioned and have multiple golden geese. Would pass regulatory processes easier I think too.

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
All three pubs I mentioned still wouldn't cost as much as the two you mentioned and have multiple golden geese. Would pass regulatory processes easier I think too.
Most of their games are single player, only Square has a big MMORPG. Sony needs to substitute COD first if the ABK deal goes through

• brain
24 Jun 2022
Yeah, to buy studios ilke Psygnosis, Naughty Dog, Guerrilla or Insomniac was an awful idea. So to buy people like Bungie, Housemarque, Bluepoint, Firewalk or Haven must be a bad idea too.

Psygnosis was a publisher. I personally don't think any of the teams you listed were bad acquisitions, obviously. But the truth is that simply buying studios without much in the way of established IP doesn't give Sony a lot of leveraging power with other competitors. It also doesn't do much for their stock valuations. Both of those things matter.

Now seriously: it's better to get the talent who knows to make top successful new IP, specially if already worked closely with them for a long period of time.

If in the process they get some great IP cool, but if not it's better to go for the talent. Specially because if MS already has issues with regulators when making big acquisitions while being the last one in the race, Sony being the market leader would have way more issues with regulators, so they must be very careful.

You're framing MS wrong here. Them being 3rd in console gaming is NOT the reason they're having such trouble with getting ABK. It's because they're among the Top 5 tech companies on the face of the entire planet. And it's very obvious, that they're using their weight as an entire corporation, to make the ABK acquisition. This isn't just the Xbox division using its own valuation or profits here.

How the argument of MS being 3rd in console gaming ever got so popular as a talking point for them to acquire big 3P publishers I will not understand, because it should have never happened. They're in 3rd because their business mistakes in the market have earned them 3rd place. They competed and could only get 3rd place, that's how competition works for those who can't reach 1st.

All Sony would need to do, in the event they consider a publisher acquisition, is reframe the discussion to point out their corporate size relative to the much larger Microsoft's, point out how Microsoft bought their way to more studios than them, and that a much smaller company like Sony would "need" that publisher in order to more efficiently "compete" when companies like Microsoft are leveraging their full corporate weight to try cutting them off from 3P partners.

Whether you or I agree with that message isn't important; if that's what it'd take for Sony to get regulatory approval of a big acquisition or two, then so be it. They didn't set the rules for this but if they want to not get squeezed out from the big boy table, they'll have to play by those types of rules.

Otherwise I agree that talent should come first, but I think Sony have done a great job in prioritizing talent while still getting a big IP of value in Bungie. So if they can do it there, they would be able to do it with another, larger publisher acquisition. They would know to avoid obvious traps like Embracer Group or Ubisoft, who have too much bloat and headcount to manage integrating into the gaming unit easily.

Also, after some time most game IPs get outdated or irrelevant, or either players or devs get bored of them and they may need to die or rest for a while: this is not an issue if these devs have a history of pumping great stuff and particularly great new IPs. If not they may spend a ton to get some IP that can be irrelevant in a few years and instead get hundreds or thousands of devs who aren't capable to do awesome stuff after many years.

Again I agree, it's just that Sony can focus on both prioritizing talent AND prioritizing netting some big-market IP. Look, they need chips to play as bargaining power at the poker table, so to speak. Yes they have some already like Spiderman, God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, TLOU etc. but that likely won't be enough. In a scenario where Microsoft, for example, actually were to acquire Capcom, Square-Enix and Sega/Atlus, what 1P teams do Sony have that can realistically provide that type of content in the case Microsoft foreclosed availability of it on Sony's platforms?

And don't act like Microsoft wouldn't foreclose; we know now that is exactly what they're doing with all of Zenimax's future content. We have it from Phil Spencer's own mouth and the redacted emails. That's the plan with Zenimax going forward. It'd take a miracle for Microsoft to renege on that decision, and Sony can't bank on one-in-a-million miracles with this type of stuff. That's why it's becoming increasingly important they seriously consider locking down key defining & distinguishing 3P partners and fully bring them into the PlayStation fold proper.

One or two solid ones, they're going to have to consider it now. Most likely Japanese publishers; outside of that they can do longer-set partnerships and investments into other 3P devs and publishers, as well as buy shares into them.

Remember what happened when MS bought certain big IPs after they lost most of the talent behind them. They have to be careful to don't buy only names without having proper teams to work on them or to release similar new ones.

You'd have a point if Sony were Microsoft, but they aren't. Sony understand the actual value of making the talent happy, that's part of the reason they set aside $1.2 billion for employee retention at Bungie. It's why they were willing to give Bungie the terms they wanted for acquisition. It's why they were able to acquire Insomniac, Blue Point, and Housemarque.

Sony have shown time and again they are critical of making sure the talent are being treated right and don't feel like afterthoughts, or aren't being forced down a path they vehemently reject. They can continue to ensure that while also expanding their outlook to considering acquisitions that also bring notable market IP with them, which again the Bungie acquisition was a demonstration of.

Microsoft's issues stem from their wider business-orientated corporate culture that is antithetical to entertainment. That's why there's such a clash between shareholder & upper management on one side, and the gaming creatives on the other. Sony is primarily an entertainment company these days; they don't have that type of a clashing problem and historically have not had it even when they were mainly an electronics company (because a lot of their electronics focus, just like today, was focused in entertainment industries like film production, television broadcast, music recording & mastering, etc.).

• brain

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
They can get Square Enix + Capcom for lower prices, and while at it keep focusing on nurturing live services games. And Sony already had enough first-party studios, which is thats why they started focusing on studios with live-service games expertise now.

Red2Radio

Icon Extra
13 Mar 2023
Germany
Sega is garbage forget about them they milk a couple of ip they pc business isn’t doing so good most of their high profile talent left and went over to netease. Capcom on is taking billion from the Saudis who have a stake in them now. Sony should focus on square, buying Konami ip, from which is wasted by kodakawa. Sony should also buy level 5 and turn them loose on the back catalogue of jrpgs that’s an untapped nostalgia gold mine.
That's absolutely okay if you think that about SEGA, but I would love to see future Yakuza/Like A Dragon games, Persona and Sonic titles, maybe even a Monkey Ball sequel still on PlayStation. I don't want to fear having to get these titles on Xbox suddenly, just because Sony can't be bothered or think multiplatform releases are a given.
I agree with Level 5, though. That studio is in dire need of direction and Sony could offer exactly that. I love my Level 5 games, but they suck at a constant output and international presence.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Sony is always about moving forward and finding new content to bring in newer players or keep players enaged. I like that about them. They know when to move on most times.... Sometimes they get it wrong, but I prefer this approach.

Invest and curate talent. They should definitely get more aggressive with securing 3rd party content and IP's... But I don't want them to go on a buying spree as a reactionary move. They need to expedite to their studio expansions....

And please fix their relationship with Japanese developers. Relaunch Japan Studios... I still can't believe they were so short sighted to do what they did.

What I'd like for this whole thing with ABK is that regulators finally crack down on market consolidation. Publishers should be off limits for any company with over X yearly revenue, and I'm including Sony here. Only publisher's in liquidation should be withinf acceptable limits.

I hate market consolidation with a passion, it doesn't benefit us. The less choice we have, the less companies will be incentivised to provide quality content.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Just Do It Shia GIF by MOODMAN

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Psygnosis was a publisher. I personally don't think any of the teams you listed were bad acquisitions, obviously. But the truth is that simply buying studios without much in the way of established IP doesn't give Sony a lot of leveraging power with other competitors. It also doesn't do much for their stock valuations. Both of those things matter.
Psygnosis was a publisher but also a developer (later was renamed SCE Liverpool studio). The acquisitions are a long term investment, typically take like five year or a decade or so (maybe more in case of AAAs since now games take 4-7 years) to recoup it and start getting the profit.

But sometimes they get quick early results that lead to think they will be important and a good acquisition:
  • Insomniac has been more successful than ever since it was acquired.
  • Firesprite successfully developed one of the first VR adaptations of a AAA Sony IP helping PSVR2 have a better launch than PSVR1.
  • Returnal didn't set the world on fire regarding sales but got many awards and great reviews showing that Housemarque successfully moved to AAA, and now are working on a more ambitious game.
  • Nixxes has been very successful with their PC ports, being part of an important new secondary/extra revenue source for their AAA games.
  • Bluepoint codeveloped in a support role the fastest selling PS exclusive ever.
  • Bungie's Marathon teaser has 19M views, maybe the most viewed trailer of the non-E3?
Games need time but most of these recent acquisitions already started to generate great early indicators. Meanwhile, what did all these studios with big IPs that MS bought after being acquired? As of now only Starfield shown a meaninful improvement indicator, in this case getting them a big quality AAA exclusive to improve their 1st party outoput, an area where they needed to improve in the same way Sony wanted to improve in GaaS, MP, PC, VR, etc.

You're framing MS wrong here. Them being 3rd in console gaming is NOT the reason they're having such trouble with getting ABK. It's because they're among the Top 5 tech companies on the face of the entire planet. And it's very obvious, that they're using their weight as an entire corporation, to make the ABK acquisition. This isn't just the Xbox division using its own valuation or profits here.
The regulators don't care if they are a top tech company, these troubles are because of possible or potential monopolistic or anticompetition actions in a certain market, so regulators have to investigate and act to promote defend competition and the interest of the consumer.

The regulators don't care about the money that the company has in other parts of the global corporation, what they look at is at the market power that company has in that -and related- market/area.

In this case, the gaming market. Or inside it, the potential troubles are in the current consoles market or the potential future cloud gaming market.

How the argument of MS being 3rd in console gaming ever got so popular as a talking point for them to acquire big 3P publishers I will not understand, because it should have never happened. They're in 3rd because their business mistakes in the market have earned them 3rd place. They competed and could only get 3rd place, that's how competition works for those who can't reach 1st.
Yes, they are 3rd because the other two did a better job than them.

All Sony would need to do, in the event they consider a publisher acquisition, is reframe the discussion to point out their corporate size relative to the much larger Microsoft's, point out how Microsoft bought their way to more studios than them, and that a much smaller company like Sony would "need" that publisher in order to more efficiently "compete" when companies like Microsoft are leveraging their full corporate weight to try cutting them off from 3P partners.

Whether you or I agree with that message isn't important; if that's what it'd take for Sony to get regulatory approval of a big acquisition or two, then so be it. They didn't set the rules for this but if they want to not get squeezed out from the big boy table, they'll have to play by those types of rules.

Otherwise I agree that talent should come first, but I think Sony have done a great job in prioritizing talent while still getting a big IP of value in Bungie. So if they can do it there, they would be able to do it with another, larger publisher acquisition. They would know to avoid obvious traps like Embracer Group or Ubisoft, who have too much bloat and headcount to manage integrating into the gaming unit easily.
In consoles Sony has a global advantage vs MS of over 2:1 in consoles, MAU and game subs. If we also include Nintendo, Sony has like half of the global console market share. In Europe, Sony's main market, PS has a 4:1 advantage over XB.

Meaning, Sony has way more market power than MS in that area. So if MS had issues with regulators with a big acquisitions, Sony would have more. Regulators would say: "Sony, you already are the market leader and by keeping this key actor with a big market power out of the other consoles you're making an anticompetitive action because you're meaningfully difficulting others to compete against you, the market leader".

So for Sony it's better to invest in companies with talent and potential but small market power or grow in areas where they don't dominate, or to grow the teams they already have. By doing that, they won't have issues with regulators.

And if some day they buy some big publisher -even if isn't a top one, something like Sega, SE or Capcom- they should keep them doing multiplatform stuff as did with Bungie to don't raise regulator concerns.

Again I agree, it's just that Sony can focus on both prioritizing talent AND prioritizing netting some big-market IP. Look, they need chips to play as bargaining power at the poker table, so to speak. Yes they have some already like Spiderman, God of War, Ghosts of Tsushima, TLOU etc. but that likely won't be enough. In a scenario where Microsoft, for example, actually were to acquire Capcom, Square-Enix and Sega/Atlus, what 1P teams do Sony have that can realistically provide that type of content in the case Microsoft foreclosed availability of it on Sony's platforms?

And don't act like Microsoft wouldn't foreclose; we know now that is exactly what they're doing with all of Zenimax's future content. We have it from Phil Spencer's own mouth and the redacted emails. That's the plan with Zenimax going forward. It'd take a miracle for Microsoft to renege on that decision, and Sony can't bank on one-in-a-million miracles with this type of stuff. That's why it's becoming increasingly important they seriously consider locking down key defining & distinguishing 3P partners and fully bring them into the PlayStation fold proper.

One or two solid ones, they're going to have to consider it now. Most likely Japanese publishers; outside of that they can do longer-set partnerships and investments into other 3P devs and publishers, as well as buy shares into them.

You'd have a point if Sony were Microsoft, but they aren't. Sony understand the actual value of making the talent happy, that's part of the reason they set aside $1.2 billion for employee retention at Bungie. It's why they were willing to give Bungie the terms they wanted for acquisition. It's why they were able to acquire Insomniac, Blue Point, and Housemarque.

Sony have shown time and again they are critical of making sure the talent are being treated right and don't feel like afterthoughts, or aren't being forced down a path they vehemently reject. They can continue to ensure that while also expanding their outlook to considering acquisitions that also bring notable market IP with them, which again the Bungie acquisition was a demonstration of.

Microsoft's issues stem from their wider business-orientated corporate culture that is antithetical to entertainment. That's why there's such a clash between shareholder & upper management on one side, and the gaming creatives on the other. Sony is primarily an entertainment company these days; they don't have that type of a clashing problem and historically have not had it even when they were mainly an electronics company (because a lot of their electronics focus, just like today, was focused in entertainment industries like film production, television broadcast, music recording & mastering, etc.).
The thing is that Sony is the one of the poker table who is winning, has over twice the chips MS has. And on top of that Sony also has better cards: most of their 1st party are super successful and out of the three they are the one with the biggest 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives output.

MS is trying to get an ace card, but still will continue having worse cards than Sony and less than half of the chips. We and the regulators are analizing the potential acquisition of ABK, which is what they are trying.

In the list of potential candidates didn't even consider the key players ABK, EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco or Capcom. Because they knew weren't in the market (until Kotick changed his mind due to the scandals). They tried with Square or Sega and got rejected, maybe because aren't in the market (most likely) or maybe because they don't want to sell to MS.

So the real current scenario is MS trying -and apparently failing at- to acquire ABK, not every single publisher. We have to focus on the ABK acquisition for now. We'll have to see how it ends, because all that data shown to regulators may have effects not only this acquisition, but potentially in other future MS and Sony acquisitions too. The potential effects on these future acquisitions may have been part of the reasons of why Sony decided to pause acquisitions for the short term and leave them for mid to long term, in a few years from now.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
I'm really looking forward to the Chinese and Korean attempts to make a COD killer....

First up.... Call of Communism

Second.... Call of Communism Korea

Disclosure: I started from the acronym and worked
It doesn’t matter. Shift Up is only the parent company where Tencent has stakes in. Sony can still buyout the developer studio (eve studio) from Shift Up.
That's absolutely okay if you think that about SEGA, but I would love to see future Yakuza/Like A Dragon games, Persona and Sonic titles, maybe even a Monkey Ball sequel still on PlayStation. I don't want to fear having to get these titles on Xbox suddenly, just because Sony can't be bothered or think multiplatform releases are a given.
I agree with Level 5, though. That studio is in dire need of direction and Sony could offer exactly that. I love my Level 5 games, but they suck at a constant output and international presence.
Unlikely Sony would be interested. The entire yakuza + the entire persona franchises together have only sold about 38million units which would be the main gets, Sony isn’t interested in segas arcades, and sega rts games have been underperforming. If is just about filler content for a service like gamepass sure but I don’t see Sony putting out content like monkey ball not in 2023 or going forward. Sony wants slickly produce how production value high stakes ip. Nintendo or Xbox will get sega.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Most of their games are single player, only Square has a big MMORPG. Sony needs to substitute COD first if the ABK deal goes through
Bungie and Firewalk have a ton of talent who worked on Destiny and the last Bungie Halos, plus also many talent from many other top shooters including CoD. Destiny 2 + Concord + Marathon should help with this.

And well, if they didn't cancel it and was at least partially rebooted -pretty likely will need a lot of time- there's the Deviation game too, with a ton of former CoD talent too (plus many people from other top shooters).

Also, Helldivers 1 was very good and performed well, maybe Helldivers 2, now turned into a AAA-ish Gears may help them in the shooters area.

And even if not very CoD-y, there's the TLOU online game.

The ABK acquisition doesn't look good, but even if it materializes CoD will continue on PS during some years, at least the ones ABK already has signed with Sony. By the time it could go console exclusive, all these 1st/2nd party games would be in the market.

Make sure that at least one or two of them will be huge hits and that all of them combined will make more money on PS than CoD did on PS until now. And make sure they'll also make more money than a CoD not published on PS and being day one on GP.

On top of that, Sony will continue having many 3rd party top shooters supporting them: Fortnite, Apex Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Battlefield, Far Cry, Avatar and so on. They will have the shooter/FPS area very well covered.

Unlikely Sony would be interested. The entire yakuza + the entire persona franchises together have only sold about 38million units which would be the main gets, Sony isn’t interested in segas arcades, and sega rts games have been underperforming. If is just about filler content for a service like gamepass sure but I don’t see Sony putting out content like monkey ball not in 2023 or going forward. Sony wants slickly produce how production value high stakes ip. Nintendo or Xbox will get sega.
Sega may not have any blockbuster superseller, but it can provide well performing quality stuff for many niche areas, something also good for them to have a better positioning in consoles, PC, mobile and game subs:
  • Kids friendly mascot stuff with Sonic
  • Action RPG with Yakuza, Lost Judgment, Phantasy Star Online, etc
  • Action with Bayonetta, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe
  • JRPG with Persona/Megami Tensei/etc
  • Strategy/simulation with Total War, Company of Heroes, Two Point Hospital/Campus/etc
  • Fighting with Virtua Fighter and (from Aniplex/Sony btw) Demon Slayer
  • Sports / arcade racing with Football Manager, Team Sonic Racing, Out Run, Daytona USA, etc.
They also have an insane catalog of classic IPs to resurrect or milk on their game sub. On top of that, they also have a strong presence in mobile, and some of their IPs have potential to use them in movies/tv shows/anime/etc.

The main issue with Sega is that it has many other business that aren't of the interest of potential buyers like MS or Sony (pachinkos, resorts, etc) and since the main asset of the Sega Sammy corporation is their gaming part and their IPs they wouldn't want to sell only the game part. So they would need to buy the whole corporation, split the unwanted divisions apart and sell them to someone else. Something that would require a lot of work and may also be something that Sega wouldn't want to do.

Sega's catalog, talent and pricing is appealing but their unwillingness to sell and the non-gaming divisions are things that kill the chances of being a Sony/MS/Nintendo target.

Last edited:
24 Jun 2022
Psygnosis was a publisher but also a developer (later was renamed SCE Liverpool studio). The acquisitions are a long term investment, typically take like five year or a decade or so (maybe more in case of AAAs since now games take 4-7 years) to recoup it and start getting the profit.

But sometimes they get quick early results that lead to think they will be important and a good acquisition:
  • Insomniac has been more successful than ever since it was acquired.
  • Firesprite successfully developed one of the first VR adaptations of a AAA Sony IP helping PSVR2 have a better launch than PSVR1.
  • Returnal didn't set the world on fire regarding sales but got many awards and great reviews showing that Housemarque successfully moved to AAA, and now are working on a more ambitious game.
  • Nixxes has been very successful with their PC ports, being part of an important new secondary/extra revenue source for their AAA games.
  • Bluepoint codeveloped in a support role the fastest selling PS exclusive ever.
  • Bungie's Marathon teaser has 19M views, maybe the most viewed trailer of the non-E3?
Games need time but most of these recent acquisitions already started to generate great early indicators. Meanwhile, what did all these studios with big IPs that MS bought after being acquired? As of now only Starfield shown a meaninful improvement indicator, in this case getting them a big quality AAA exclusive to improve their 1st party outoput, an area where they needed to improve in the same way Sony wanted to improve in GaaS, MP, PC, VR, etc.

Why are you putting Microsoft's results on Sony as if things would be in a similar state if Sony acquired the studios & publishers Microsoft have? That doesn't make any sense, it's like you're intentionally ignoring the actual results Sony's acquisitions have historically fostered, versus Microsoft's. I understand your concerns being expressed here but even you seem to indicate an understanding of the results Sony have gotten with their acquisitions compared to Microsoft.

What makes you think Sony would suddenly fumble and struggle to get results if they also targeted a larger 3P publisher for acquisition of both talent and notable IP?

The regulators don't care if they are a top tech company, these troubles are because of possible or potential monopolistic or anticompetition actions in a certain market, so regulators have to investigate and act to promote defend competition and the interest of the consumer.

Then the regulators would be idiots. Because that's them operating on an idealistic interpretation of how these markets work, instead of the reality. Their way of viewing a maturing market like gaming WOULD have been suitable if this were in the '90s or whatnot, but we are dealing now with Big Tech companies actively leveraging the massive market strengths in non-gaming markets, TO buy their way to bigger market share in gaming.

You cannot ignore the connection there nor act like one isn't actively enabling the other!

The regulators don't care about the money that the company has in other parts of the global corporation, what they look at is at the market power that company has in that -and related- market/area.

In this case, the gaming market. Or inside it, the potential troubles are in the current consoles market or the potential future cloud gaming market.

You're wrong about all of this, because we have regulators like the CMA & FTC who are actively looking at the ABK acquisition from the POV of Microsoft as a total corporate entity leveraging their full corporate weight to make potentially anticompetitive (or anticompetition-enabling) moves in the gaming space with acquired assets. Why do you think the trail has also called into question cloud concerns? Why do you think those cloud concerns have also involved Azure? No not "Azure" as in simply Azure's presence in the gaming market, but Azure as a whole being used for enabling a facet of Microsoft's gaming division in ways potentially unfair to direct competitors?

If some of these regulators were doing as you described, we would not see cloud SLC arguments being infused with console SLC arguments. Even if they are different, unique markets, a competitor with significant resources & vertically integrated power in both can leverage one to unfairly empower the other, and that's particularly true in Microsoft's case because they have a history of such tactics.

Meaning, Sony has way more market power than MS in that area. So if MS had issues with regulators with a big acquisitions, Sony would have more. Regulators would say: "Sony, you already are the market leader and by keeping this key actor with a big market power out of the other consoles you're making an anticompetitive action because you're meaningfully difficulting others to compete against you, the market leader".

No, this is a dumb argument. You're unironically expressing talking points Xbox fanatics have been using to downplay any attempts by Sony to make another publisher acquisition. You don't seem to understand that "fair" monopolies do in fact exist.

A monopoly, technically speaking, is simply any competitor in a space with 51% or more of the market share in that space. But you can achieve that simply by either offering a better competitive product that the market's customers reward your efforts with (fair monopoly), OR by performing anticompetitive practices that harm direct competitors and in doing so happen to put you as market leader (unfair monopolies).

Regulators don't care for monopolies if they are earned through fair competition, but fair competition suggests the end customers of that market choose that product, alongside the product provider not engaging in anticompetitive actions to rig the market to where end customers can ONLY choose their product realistically. This is why Valve/Steam, for example, aren't considered a monopoly even though they are by far the most popular gaming storefront/launcher on PC.

How is Sony buying a publisher an anticompetitive action? Just because they're in 1st place? A 1st place they earned by competing the best in a fair market, BTW? You are effectively punishing them for their success and that regulator would be rigging the market to force a balance instead of letting actual competition play its way out. The regulators (or in the context of this FTC trail, the judge) would be stipulating the existence of an unfair market by punishing a competitor for being "too good" and artificially letting another competitor boost up to a level not based on the merit of their performance in a fair market, because they weren't good enough.

That is antithetical to the very idea of actual fair competition.

And yes, I know some people would try turning this into an argument for Microsoft, that if they get ABK denied they are being "punished" for their success as a corporation. But there is a massive difference, IMHO. Microsoft's "success" is in markets completely aside from gaming. Their gaming market performance is not enabling the ABK acquisition, so if the deal is denied, they aren't being "punished" for anything outside of maybe being an underperforming competitor in gaming. But you don't actually compete by purchasing big 3P publishers and fusing their revenue to your gaming division's as a stimulus for growth, especially with money and market valuation that doesn't come from your gaming division.

So for Sony it's better to invest in companies with talent and potential but small market power or grow in areas where they don't dominate, or to grow the teams they already have. By doing that, they won't have issues with regulators.

And if they did what you suggested in terms of investing in smaller entities for their talent, while ALSO investing in or acquiring larger entities like a 3P publisher...they still wouldn't (or shouldn't) have an issue with regulators. Again, some of these regulators are already taking Microsoft's full corporate power into consideration of "just" a gaming acquisition.

They'll do the same with Sony, yes, but Sony can easily point to the merits of PlayStation unit's own market performance historically, its profits and revenues as well as market strengths thanks to providing the best solutions that the market preferred to purchase & work with as a result, as counter-arguments. They can also point to what a significantly larger corporate entity who is a direct competitor in the console gaming market (Microsoft) is already doing and already intend to do with acquired 3P content/assets to leverage against them, acquired assets in MS's case purchased on the strengths of them mainly outside of gaming market performance merits.

In essence, Sony can do both. Even if they run into some poorly-defined challenges from certain regulatory bodies or (if it gets to that point) judges, they can easily explain around them.

And if some day they buy some big publisher -even if isn't a top one, something like Sega, SE or Capcom- they should keep them doing multiplatform stuff as did with Bungie to don't raise regulator concerns.

Have you literally just ignored the emails with Phil Spencer confirming they intend to make all new Zenimax games Xbox console-exclusive, despite promising case-by-case to regulators for approval of that acquisition?

If Sony's dealing with a direct competitor intending to perform that level of foreclosure, I technically don't see any reason why Sony would be obligated to continue bringing multiplatform releases to Xbox consoles if they acquired a specific publisher, especially if prior, B2P sales revenue of that publisher's content on Xbox was insignificant or non-existent in the first place.

Just because Sony are 1st in the console gaming space doesn't prevent them from choosing a similar strategy, when they're dealing with a much larger corporate competitor, and have earned their 1st place spot on the merits of their continuous value & quality offerings to gaming customers, developers and publishers as well as retail and distribution partners.

The thing is that Sony is the one of the poker table who is winning, has over twice the chips MS has. And on top of that Sony also has better cards: most of their 1st party are super successful and out of the three they are the one with the biggest 1st, 2nd and 3rd party exclusives output.

Did Sony cheat to get that better hand? Did they rig the deck? Did they steal money to play with it? No. So whether they have more chips, and the better hand, isn't so much important as is how they got more chips & the better hand.

And if they got those through the merits of being a better player at that specific game, why are you wanting to punish them by saying "No, these other guys who aren't playing as well need to be given an artificial boost!"?

MS is trying to get an ace card, but still will continue having worse cards than Sony and less than half of the chips. We and the regulators are analizing the potential acquisition of ABK, which is what they are trying.

The problem isn't MS trying to get an ace card, it's HOW they're trying to get it. In this case, it'd be analogous to them phoning a friend at a completely different playing table of a completely different game, asking them to "slip" them a strong card or two, and then adding it to their poker hand while paying the croupier & dealer to let that all happen.

How is that fair to the other players who are sticking with the cards at their table for that specific game, and relying on the merits of their own hands at that table for that very specific game, to perform the way they are performing?

In the list of potential candidates didn't even consider the key players ABK, EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco or Capcom. Because they knew weren't in the market (until Kotick changed his mind due to the scandals). They tried with Square or Sega and got rejected, maybe because aren't in the market (most likely) or maybe because they don't want to sell to MS.

What makes you think they didn't consider the "key players" because they weren't in the market for a potential acquisition? Maybe they are/were, but Microsoft didn't think they'd have a good enough shot at acquiring them, so they decided on "non-key" players instead?

Maybe they want to work their way up? That's been the trajectory of their acquisitions so far TBH.

So the real current scenario is MS trying -and apparently failing at- to acquire ABK, not every single publisher

Satya Nadella is on record (not in court testimony, but in public interviews) saying that they would not be done with acquisitions even if they get ABK. They would look to make more, and thanks to redacted email leaks, we know that would include more 3P publishers.

We have to focus on the ABK acquisition for now.

No we don't. Because Microsoft's acquisition strategy is a lot bigger than "just" ABK. It includes Zenimax. It includes the 2018 studios. It includes 3P publishers leaked that they've openly considered or have approached with offers to, like Sega/Atlus and Square-Enix.

If you can't see the long-term plans they are trying to accomplish with this strategy, that many targets (including even smaller ones like Housemarque) were very clearly aimed at cutting Sony off from key 3P partners over the long-term to choke them out of content and "put PlayStation out of business", then I don't know what else to tell 'ya. You're just being willfully ignorant at that point, or maybe you didn't look at the redacted leaks showing actual intentions with acquired content.

We'll have to see how it ends, because all that data shown to regulators may have effects not only this acquisition, but potentially in other future MS and Sony acquisitions too. The potential effects on these future acquisitions may have been part of the reasons of why Sony decided to pause acquisitions for the short term and leave them for mid to long term, in a few years from now.

I'm sure the scrutiny MS are going through here has played a part in that regard, but I'm also certain redacted information they've come across over the course of this trail has at least in part convinced Sony to adjust certain plans WRT acquisitions, to accelerate some. Or accelerate certain partnerships and investments, etc.

They can't just solely wait on the results of MS/ABK before planning to do their own thing. They can't be completely reactionary, that would spell disaster. If they can see Microsoft's true intentions as clearly as most of the rest of us can, then they need to make some very specific & big investments/partnerships/share purchases/acquisitions among both 3P devs AND publishers, regardless if MS do or don't end up acquiring ABK.

Because if it's not Microsoft, it'll probably be some other big corporation wanting to secure that 3P content and distribution for the chief benefit of their own ecosystem, at the expense of companies like Sony. That could be 10 years from now, 5 years...2 years, even?

It's always better to be proactive rather than reactive. Always.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
More random Korean studios that don't help their console business at all.

Neowiz is Lies Of P but why are you wasting time with this when FROM is right there?
Because the gaming industry has become very competitive in other regions and south Korea has a lot of untapped talent. Sony is good at cultivating talent to fit its needs they aren’t going to make random acquisitions like Xbox just because.

• brain

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Why are you putting Microsoft's results on Sony as if things would be in a similar state if Sony acquired the studios & publishers Microsoft have? That doesn't make any sense, it's like you're intentionally ignoring the actual results Sony's acquisitions have historically fostered, versus Microsoft's. I understand your concerns being expressed here but even you seem to indicate an understanding of the results Sony have gotten with their acquisitions compared to Microsoft.
I'm just comparing the result of both console makers making acquisitions.

Sony focused on acquiring talent and MS focused on acquiring brands.

It did work way better for Sony, the studios got more successful than before their acquisitions and did help Sony grow in some areas. While MS bought some big brands that didn't shine as before their acquisition (Halo, Gears, Rare stuff etc) or didn't manage well the talent they acquired -like putting Rare to make Kinect Sports and so on-.

So my point is that seeing these results, Sony's strategy seems to be better.

What makes you think Sony would suddenly fumble and struggle to get results if they also targeted a larger 3P publisher for acquisition of both talent and notable IP?
The opposite, I say that the reality is that Sony is the market leader in console and his distance from MS is so big that they don't need to react to the Bethesda and ABK acquisiton by acquiring big publishers, because these publishers represent a very small part of the market and won't change much the Sony vs MS competition.

And if they would want to do it and had the budget to try to get EA, Take 2 or similar they could face bigger troubles with regulators than MS had. Because Sony is the clear market leader, have way more market power in everything related to consoles, which means that in the eyes of the regulators, the same move made by Sony and MS would be seen as more anticompetitive and abusive in Sony's case.

Then the regulators would be idiots. Because that's them operating on an idealistic interpretation of how these markets work, instead of the reality. Their way of viewing a maturing market like gaming WOULD have been suitable if this were in the '90s or whatnot, but we are dealing now with Big Tech companies actively leveraging the massive market strengths in non-gaming markets, TO buy their way to bigger market share in gaming.

You cannot ignore the connection there nor act like one isn't actively enabling the other!
Yes, both are major tech companies. And are free to make acquisitions as long as they do it in a fair way, without monopolistic or abusive tactics.

You're wrong about all of this, because we have regulators like the CMA & FTC who are actively looking at the ABK acquisition from the POV of Microsoft as a total corporate entity leveraging their full corporate weight to make potentially anticompetitive (or anticompetition-enabling) moves in the gaming space with acquired assets. Why do you think the trail has also called into question cloud concerns? Why do you think those cloud concerns have also involved Azure? No not "Azure" as in simply Azure's presence in the gaming market, but Azure as a whole being used for enabling a facet of Microsoft's gaming division in ways potentially unfair to direct competitors?

If some of these regulators were doing as you described, we would not see cloud SLC arguments being infused with console SLC arguments. Even if they are different, unique markets, a competitor with significant resources & vertically integrated power in both can leverage one to unfairly empower the other, and that's particularly true in Microsoft's case because they have a history of such tactics.
No regulator raised any concerns about cloud market, which isn't related to videogames but to general servers services instead.

They raised concerns about cloud gaming potential future and the asshole tactics MS had in cloud gaming like letting them have CoD for some years but without paying them the 30% of the game and DLC sales on that platform and instead giving them 0%.

As far as we know none of the cloud gaming rivals need or use Azure servers.

No, this is a dumb argument. You're unironically expressing talking points Xbox fanatics have been using to downplay any attempts by Sony to make another publisher acquisition.
It isn't a dumb argument, it's the explanation of how market regulators work. Market regulators take care that companies with too much market power don't make monopolistic abusive actions to prevent others being able to compete against them.

So in a market where someone has >66% of the console market share and other has <33% market share (global, in EU they are 80% vs 20%) they are more strict with the one who is the clear market leader. Because an acquisition that represent around 4-5% of the total (not only console) gaming market -as ABK- when it's done by the one who is the clear market leader it hurts a bit the competition while when done by the one with less market share it improves competition.

You don't seem to understand that "fair" monopolies do in fact exist.
A monopoly, technically speaking, is simply any competitor in a space with 51% or more of the market share in that space.
Wrong, go to a dictionary to see what a monopoly is. To have over half of the market share is having a majority of the market share.

A monopoly is to have all or almost all the market share to a point where they are gatekeepers of that market, their market power is so big that they can take monopolistic actions to prevent others compete against them.

Market regulators are supposed to fight that. Monopolies and monopolistic actions can't be fair. They are always bad, and this is why there are regulators to avoid them in all markets.

But you can achieve that simply by either offering a better competitive product that the market's customers reward your efforts with (fair monopoly), OR by performing anticompetitive practices that harm direct competitors and in doing so happen to put you as market leader (unfair monopolies).
Wrong, you just made up that. I explained what monopolies are above.

To grow by focusing on investing on making your existing products better to a point they are better than the competition is organic growth. To grow by focusing on acquiring other people/products of that market that someone else made is inorganic growth.

Both are fair ways to compete and grow and they are welcomed by regulators, as long as these acquisition doesn't mean the creation of monopolies (removing/blocking the competition in a market) or allow them take monopolistic actions (actions of someone with enough market power that block the rest of being able to compete against them).

Regulators don't care for monopolies if they are earned through fair competition,
The don't care if someone gets the totality -or almost- of a market through fair competition as long as that player doesn't take actions that prevent others to compete there (monopolistic actions, something market regulators are supposed to fight).

but fair competition suggests the end customers of that market choose that product,
Not true, exclusives always existed everywhere (not only in gaming). They play an important part on competition.

How is Sony buying a publisher an anticompetitive action? Just because they're in 1st place? A 1st place they earned by competing the best in a fair market, BTW? You are effectively punishing them for their success and that regulator would be rigging the market to force a balance instead of letting actual competition play its way out. The regulators (or in the context of this FTC trail, the judge) would be stipulating the existence of an unfair market by punishing a competitor for being "too good" and artificially letting another competitor boost up to a level not based on the merit of their performance in a fair market, because they weren't good enough.

That is antithetical to the very idea of actual fair competition.

And yes, I know some people would try turning this into an argument for Microsoft, that if they get ABK denied they are being "punished" for their success as a corporation. But there is a massive difference, IMHO. Microsoft's "success" is in markets completely aside from gaming. Their gaming market performance is not enabling the ABK acquisition, so if the deal is denied, they aren't being "punished" for anything outside of maybe being an underperforming competitor in gaming. But you don't actually compete by purchasing big 3P publishers and fusing their revenue to your gaming division's as a stimulus for growth, especially with money and market valuation that doesn't come from your gaming division.
If in Europe the high-end console market share is 80% PS and 20% MS, the acquisition (and potentially making their games console and gamesub exclusive) of a company that represents the 5% of the whole gaming market revenue improves or damages the competition depending on who buys them.

If bought by the ones who have 80% it would make way harder to compete with the market leader and that would help them closer to get a monopoly. If bought by the ones who have only a 20% market share it would improve the competition, making easier to fight against the market leader.

And if they did what you suggested in terms of investing in smaller entities for their talent, while ALSO investing in or acquiring larger entities like a 3P publisher...they still wouldn't (or shouldn't) have an issue with regulators.
They should have issues with regulators if the acquisitions imply unfair monopolistic actions / tactics or if these acquisitoins reasonably lead to think they will create a monopoly (getting mostly all the market to a point it makes others impossible to compete against them).

Again, some of these regulators are already taking Microsoft's full corporate power into consideration of "just" a gaming acquisition.
What they took into consideration is if this acquisition and its potential consequences creates a monopoly or involves monopolistic actions that damage competition in this market (gaming) and related submarkets (mobile, PC, console, game subs, cloud gaming). Since consumers are benefited from having good competition, they are supposed to defend it.

After watching all the evidences and market data, all of them were ok with the acquisition, with the exception of CMA who blocked it for its potential effect on the hypothetical case of cloud gaming market getting meaningful in a distant future, and the FTC (who thinks "MS could withhold or degrade Activision's content in ways that substantially lessen competition including competition on product quality, price and innovation. This loss of competition would likely result in significant harm to consumers in multiple markets at a pivotal time for the industry").

They'll do the same with Sony, yes, but Sony can easily point to the merits of PlayStation unit's own market performance historically, its profits and revenues as well as market strengths thanks to providing the best solutions that the market preferred to purchase & work with as a result, as counter-arguments.
This doesn't matter. What matters is if an aquisition meaningfully damages competition in a market or not, and if there are monopolistic actions involved or not.

They can also point to what a significantly larger corporate entity who is a direct competitor in the console gaming market (Microsoft) is already doing and already intend to do with acquired 3P content/assets to leverage against them, acquired assets in MS's case purchased on the strengths of them mainly outside of gaming market performance merits.

In essence, Sony can do both. Even if they run into some poorly-defined challenges from certain regulatory bodies or (if it gets to that point) judges, they can easily explain around them.
Console makers acquired 3rd parties and made them exclusive or moneyhatted 3rd party games make some of their games exclusive since almost 40 years ago.

This isn't an issue as long as these acquisitions represent or affect a small enough portion of the market to don't meaningfully affect/block competition.

Have you literally just ignored the emails with Phil Spencer confirming they intend to make all new Zenimax games Xbox console-exclusive, despite promising case-by-case to regulators for approval of that acquisition?
No. I assume they may face legal issues for lying to regulators and investors. And after reading that mail I assume that their plan for Zenimax and ABK is to make all their games console and game sub exclusive as soon as their existing deals with Sony and the others expire.

But I know that ABK represents now a 4-5% of the gaming revenue, and will be way, way smaller once they stop releasing their games on PS and start giving them away on GP day one on XB and PC. Same as Zenimax, whose market share was way, way smaller. I think after all this happens ABK+Zenimax will only represent 2-3% of the whole gaming revenue combined.

I think that even if they would manage to acquire ABK (including CoD) and make all Bethesda and ABK games console and gamesub exclusive it wouldn't meaninfully change the market because most of the games sold in PS and Switch aren't made by them and around 90%+ of the PS MAU don't buy the yearly CoD games. And if they go exclusive, most PS CoD players will continue in PS.

Just because Sony are 1st in the console gaming space doesn't prevent them from choosing a similar strategy, when they're dealing with a much larger corporate competitor, and have earned their 1st place spot on the merits of their continuous value & quality offerings to gaming customers, developers and publishers as well as retail and distribution partners.

Did Sony cheat to get that better hand? Did they rig the deck? Did they steal money to play with it? No. So whether they have more chips, and the better hand, isn't so much important as is how they got more chips & the better hand.

And if they got those through the merits of being a better player at that specific game, why are you wanting to punish them by saying "No, these other guys who aren't playing as well need to be given an artificial boost!"?
Market regulators defend the consumer rights by ensuring a fair competition, in theory blocking monopolistic actions, actions that may meaningfully would damage the competition.

If Sony does that kind of actions would be blocked, independently of how they reached to that market power position. And well, they and any other company are supposed to be on their position by doing legal stuff. Same goes for MS or any other company.

The problem isn't MS trying to get an ace card, it's HOW they're trying to get it.
The problem isn't getting that card or how they got them. The problem could be if them getting that card allows them to cheat others and block others for winning and even to continue playing.

What makes you think they didn't consider the "key players" because they weren't in the market for a potential acquisition? Maybe they are/were, but Microsoft didn't think they'd have a good enough shot at acquiring them, so they decided on "non-key" players instead?

Maybe they want to work their way up? That's been the trajectory of their acquisitions so far TBH.
There are some key players (meaning, top performers in the areas they were looking to improve) as EA, Take 2, Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, Valve and many others that would be better for them than many of the ones listed.

If they aren't in the list, looking at the Bethesda and ABK acquisition pricing, the problem wasn't their price. So the only reason I can think of to don't include them there is that MS know they don't want to sell or at least not to MS, and if they know it was because they tried it, probably before trying to acquire Zenimax.

Then there are other ones that are Chinese or are owned or invested by Tencent or other top Chinese companies. Who won't sell to MS.

Satya Nadella is on record (not in court testimony, but in public interviews) saying that they would not be done with acquisitions even if they get ABK. They would look to make more, and thanks to redacted email leaks, we know that would include more 3P publishers.
I know, Phil also said it. They'll continue acquiring, just like Tencent, Sony or Embracer.

No we don't. Because Microsoft's acquisition strategy is a lot bigger than "just" ABK. It includes Zenimax. It includes the 2018 studios. It includes 3P publishers leaked that they've openly considered or have approached with offers to, like Sega/Atlus and Square-Enix.

If you can't see the long-term plans they are trying to accomplish with this strategy, that many targets (including even smaller ones like Housemarque) were very clearly aimed at cutting Sony off from key 3P partners over the long-term to choke them out of content and "put PlayStation out of business", then I don't know what else to tell 'ya. You're just being willfully ignorant at that point, or maybe you didn't look at the redacted leaks showing actual intentions with acquired content.
I know their long-term plan, which is to continue growing (in their case mostly inorganically, mostly via acquisitions) and outperform their competition. Just like any other big company.

But this trial and thread is about the ABK acquisition. Regulators analyze this acquisition and its effects on potentially damaging competition. In potential future big acquisitions, if they ever exist, they will have separate similar investigations.

I'm sure the scrutiny MS are going through here has played a part in that regard, but I'm also certain redacted information they've come across over the course of this trail has at least in part convinced Sony to adjust certain plans WRT acquisitions, to accelerate some. Or accelerate certain partnerships and investments, etc.
A few weeks ago Sony announced that they paused acquisitions delaying them for the mid to long term to wait for more favorable market conditions and a better timing.

I assume part of it was they didn't expect regulators being that harsh with big gaming acquisitions and that they are afraid regulators could be harsher with them, specially now that they have a lot of Sony data that shows that they dominate MS in many markets/submarkets.

I assume other things may be expectations regarding inflation or yen valuation, plus also knowing that they'll get a lot of cash in 2-3 years thanks to selling most of their banks division.

They can't just solely wait on the results of MS/ABK before planning to do their own thing. They can't be completely reactionary, that would spell disaster. If they can see Microsoft's true intentions as clearly as most of the rest of us can, then they need to make some very specific & big investments/partnerships/share purchases/acquisitions among both 3P devs AND publishers, regardless if MS do or don't end up acquiring ABK.

Because if it's not Microsoft, it'll probably be some other big corporation wanting to secure that 3P content and distribution for the chief benefit of their own ecosystem, at the expense of companies like Sony. That could be 10 years from now, 5 years...2 years, even?

It's always better to be proactive rather than reactive. Always.
Sony is happy with their own numbers, are better than ever and are growing more than ever in most areas, which means their numbers will keep improving.

They are not worried about MS, because PS dominates them in basically every single meaningful area with a big distance. Particularly, where MS is focusing more is in gamesubs, where Sony have a big distance and not only that, in recent times the distance instead of decreasing due to MS acquisitions got bigger with Sony highly increasing their gamesubs revenue due to the merging of PS Plus and PS Now.

Regarding exclusives catalog, Sony is making the biggest effort they ever made: they increased/are increasing the headcount of all their teams to help them release more games and faster, acquired more dev teams and support teams, and invested more than ever in 2nd party and 3rd party deals, both big and small, for this gen. They also expanded to MP, GaaS, PC, mobile and movies/tv shows and also invested more in accesories and eSports stuff like EVO.

So they won't miss catalog, will be bigger than ever. And these decisions weren't reactive to MS, all or amost all were previous to the Bethesda acquisition, a few even were taken before Jimbo and Hermen got promoted.

I'm sure that following their current strategy Sony will continue improving and will increase their market share vs MS. Even if MS ends acquiring ABK/CoD (something I think won't happen) and they make all future ABK and Zenimax console exclusive and day one in GP asap after the acquisition.

I'm also pretty sure Sony thinks the same (remember they had a graph where they said they had 45% console market share -including Nintendo- in PS4 and with PS5 they plan to grow to >55%). But defending their own interests Sony will try to do whatever they can to make regulators block the acquisition.

More random Korean studios that don't help their console business at all.

Neowiz is Lies Of P but why are you wasting time with this when FROM is right there?
They already are investing in From and have a deal with Kadowaka. Pretty likely they didn't get a bigger stake or bought it because Kadokawa doesn't want to sell a bigger stake.

Sony wants to invest in more companies, it wouldn't make sense to invest only From. There are other Korean games with potential for console, like Stellar Blade.

And well, they want to grow in Asia and many of the most successful devs or publishers there are from Korea, so they'll invest in Korean companies.

Not only for PS, but also for PC and mobile because PC and mobile make way more money than PS so they want to grow there too.

Last edited: