So... you guys still want sony to buy a big publisher and end up 3rd party like xbox?

So?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
The title says it all.

What's happening with xbox I saw coming miles away. You don't buy a big successful 3rd party publisher to gate keep games. There is absolutely no chance games like cod will ever be exclusive.

Now all of you begging for take 2, EA etc

Do you guys want playstation to end up 3rd party? Because I sure don't.

Give me small developers instead of publishers thank you

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I'd say at the most Square, Capcom or Kadokawa... Something just a bit bigger than Bungie but that focuses on single player games to shore up that area and reinforce Japan and have a global effect on top of that.

If not, one or two developers like Arc sys, Remedy and ioi.

Lots of options that are better than taketwo or ea.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Why would Sony end up as a publisher? Their consoles are selling like crazy, unlike xbox who can't sell any and their "bread and butter" gamepass, is also dead in the water.

Xbox didn't go down because they bought a publisher. They went down because they haven't been able to get people top buy into their stuff for over a decade.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
One doesn't follow the other. Sony making a 3P's games exclusive to their console would drive adoption for the console even higher. Xbox has the stench of death around it, so that action has the opposite effect of dragging the 3P into the grave.

But buying Take 2 and publishing their games on PC and PS would be a good way to grow revenue and profits.

We've seen that Xbox sales contribute very little, and in some cases (MK1 physical in the UK), only 1% of the total sales of a title.

Edit: MK 11 Ultimate, not MK1.

Last edited:

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
The title says it all.

What's happening with xbox I saw coming miles away. You don't buy a big successful 3rd party publisher to gate keep games. There is absolutely no chance games like cod will ever be exclusive.

Now all of you begging for take 2, EA etc

Do you guys want playstation to end up 3rd party? Because I sure don't.

Give me small developers instead of publishers thank you
I voted yes sarcastically! I was never really in favor buying something huge because big publishers are full of shit I don’t care about that would stay multiplat anyway or most big publishers barely have any new ip or are scared to work on new ip so they just milk their old sht to death like T2 like EA. Square and Capcom are also the same but I wouldn’t mind a square acquisition but Capcom is lazy asf. I want Sony to something like level 5 or square and set them to work on the back catalogue. Spinoffs of old ip or spiritual successors remakes etc. I wouldn’t mind a big publisher purchase tho just for the sake of console warring

• brain
Reactions: Bryank75

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
The situation for Sony is completely different. If they decide to keep games exclusive, they will still make money because their platforms are profitable unlike that money pit Xbox.

Let's say they get Square, they could release games on other platforms and use their IPs for lots of other stuff. I don't see the issue.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
Why would Sony end up as a publisher? Their consoles are selling like crazy, unlike xbox who can't sell any and their "bread and butter" gamepass, is also dead in the water.

Xbox didn't go down because they bought a publisher. They went down because they haven't been able to get people top buy into their stuff for over a decade.
Because any big publisher they buy to keep it profitable the stuff would have to stay multiplat and in some cases Sony would have a choice. U think they could make madden or no FIFA exclusive? U think they could make 2k, pga golf or wrestling exclusive? Even BF or GTA? It’s too profitable in other platforms to take off

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
They need more studios so that long content droughts are no longer an issue.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking of really.

That and elevating Ps studios reputation further.

Also pushing sales in Japan an Asia and something useful to compete against pc and Nintendo in different regions.

Reactions: SLB1904
OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Yeah get small ones. Like the ones they bought so far. It's a gamble but if works no one will be on their case. I don't care about big publisher. They always make the same games anyway

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Because any big publisher they buy to keep it profitable the stuff would have to stay multiplat and in some cases Sony would have a choice. U think they could make madden or no FIFA exclusive? U think they could make 2k, pga golf or wrestling exclusive? Even BF or GTA? It’s too profitable in other platforms to take off
Thanks

OP
OP
SLB1904

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
I'd say at the most Square, Capcom or Kadokawa... Something just a bit bigger than Bungie but that focuses on single player games to shore up that area and reinforce Japan and have a global effect on top of that.

If not, one or two developers like Arc sys, Remedy and ioi.

Lots of options that are better than taketwo or ea.
Cspcom and square is tough. They make stuff for Nintendo and Nintendo is kinda national treasure in Japan. Kadokawa seems like the best option of all. From barely owns their ips anyway. Plus the anime stuff. Of my wishlist which was imsoniac, bluepoint, Housemarque only kojima is left. Other than that kodokawa makes the most sense. In before elden ring bla bla they don't own that

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I wanted them to buy high quality studios to protect them from MS. I still wouldn't mind a publisher like SE or a dev like From Software. Sony needs more high quality single player studios to make up for Bungie and the GaaS/PC pivot. SE current leadership is just the worst so I only see it as a positive. From Software just seem like the Japanese studio MS would pay an unholy amount of money to get.

It all depends on who is going to be in charge of PlayStation, if it's another Jim Ryan/Hermen Hulst who cares? I won't care since I'll just move to PC anyway as I don't like the current direction at all.

MS ended up buying some of my most hated publishers in Bethesda and Blizzard so I got lucky. Since I haven't played CoD in over a decade and Activision already released all the remakes I cared about I couldn't care less about who owns them. Xbox + Bethesda + Blizzard + Activision is a perfect fit, all long past their prime and in terrible shape.

Last edited:

Jivesh1995

20 Jun 2023
South Africa
brotaku.net
Apples & Oranges.

That said, I'd still like Sony to increase first party capability. Doesn't necessarily have to be a big publisher but studios like Arc System Works, Level-5, Falcom etc could really help them plug the gaps between the blockbuster releases.

• they're_right_you_know

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I’ve been saying for a while now buying big publishers isn’t a good idea. When things go bad with the economy you either gotta start cutting them down or finding funding from else where in the company to stave layoffs. You have to be responsbile for all those people you onboarded and you have to continue to make sure each company you buy maintains profitability

Shawn Layden said it best, it’s not the acquisition thats expensive it’s the integration of it. Activision and Blizzrard are gonna start to feel like an anchor for Microsoft rather than something they can use as leverage.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Never thought they needed to. They should be investing in talent and studios. Not driven by acquiring someone else’s IP.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Xbox can't sell neither hardware nor software. Not only are there 3 times more PS consoles than Xbox and the gap keeps widening, Xbox playerbase doesn't buy games.

Look at any major release ratio chart. Xbox software sales amount to less than half of what Sony sells. They're frequently in the 20% range, compared to Sony making up close to, and frequently over, 50%.

You take Xbox out and you don't lose much. You gain by having control of the IP and can leverage that not just for game but movies as well. Something Sony's been very successful at.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Content droughts don’t actually exist. People buy playstations (and always have) for 3rd party games. These droughts only exist to a small segment of enthusiast that feed on hype and showcases that most owners don’t even watch.

People are saying sony are in a content drought when last year had an onslaught of major titles every month. This year we’re in a “content drought” with a new tekken, yakuza, rise of ronin, persona, helldivers 2, PoP, Final Fntasy, etc. etc.

Most people don’t have the time to even play the amount of games that are releasing. People on forums just need shit to talk about. People have a ton of games to play

No one here is sitting around with nothing to play. 3rd party games are still games

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
No. I like the Playstation platform as an ecosystem. I want that to continue. I would like them to purchase other publishers so that ecosystem can integrate features and experiences from those publishers in a more direct manner. Part of the issue with Xbox's publisher purchase is, as I think Cool Hand Luke has said, is that their platform doesn't have the appetite/base/size/success to consume ABK. Xbox is self-admittedly niche, third place, and GP cannibalises the rest of the sales. Sony wouldn't be in this position if they purchased ABK, it's an Xbox-centric issue.