So... you guys still want sony to buy a big publisher and end up 3rd party like xbox?

So?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

VillaiN

10 Feb 2023
Apples and oranges.

Sony absolutely needs to buy some more studios or publisher. Combo of from software/kadokawa + larian. Or square. Who knows who might enter industry adn buy up publishers, amazon, apple.... They ll lose access to those ips. And we re talking about 5-10 billion investment.

Sony cant spend 80 billion like ms.

They re changing their strategy cause Nutella changed his bonuses from depending on GP growth to revenue growth. And needs some justification for spending 80B. They re not seeing growth they expected. Still xbox division s nothing for them. They can afford to put games everywhere. Sony on other hand depends a lot on ps division.

Its all about MUAs for MS and bonuses for management.

Reactions: Luffy123

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Yes, but not going 3rd party because that's move for loser side like xbotz 🤣. And they should buy Capcom and Square Enix and locked out their games from xbotz 🤣🤣🤣.

Infinity

Veteran
18 Nov 2023
From Software and/or Larian is all I want

I don't see any other devs that fit as well with Sony's values
Lmao Larian makes 1 blockbuster now everybody wants them. They don't even own the IP of baldur gate. The only IP they own is divinity sin which is a great IP.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Lmao Larian makes 1 blockbuster now everybody wants them. They don't even own the IP of baldur gate. The only IP they own is divinity sin which is a great IP.
Of course everybody wants them, they proved they can make a blockbuster, made one of the best games of all time. Other than Xbox, companies usually want to acquire successful companies, not shitty ones.

Edit:

And DOS sold millions of copies as well.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Everyone here would probably agree but playstaiton consoles aren’t being sold on the backs of just god of war and spider-man, it’s a 3rd party platform. it’s always been, sony haven’t really been a force in big single player games untl the later ps3 generation. So what sold the PS1 and PS2? Capcom, Konami, Square Enix/Soft, Bandai Namco. EA, Take Two, Etc.

Aand those the 3rd party are still helping sell playstations, one exclusive Konami game this year, one exclusive square enix game, a big capcom game, a koei Tecmo exclusive, etc.

Sony buying a big publisher like some else said is just padding the stats. We don’t get anything tangible from it outside of list wars. Playstaiton will never miss big 3rd party games, especially from Japan. Buying a big 3rd party publisher isn’t even going to get exclusives, you have better Chance at getting a square enix or konami exclusive as a 3rd party then from them as first party. Sony doesn’t have to be responsbile for final fantasy sales, they would definitely be if they were in charge of an additional 5000 developers.
This is a brain dead statement not trying to sound rude but when a competitor (MS) is saying there strategy is to spend Sony out of business simply implying that they want to buy pivotal publisher & continue to buy publishers to make those games exclusive (even if there rumors of them going 3rd party & supporting native PS console who’s to say that cloud & subscription aren’t the future & control of ip means those games don’t show to your “ecosystem” very short minded thinking. Sony now partners w Sqaure Enix for exclusive deals they have a relationship but just like Zenimax & ABK who Sony had made exclusive deals & had a relationship if you don’t owned IP your leaving cracks & allowing competitors to bypass you by using $. Sure MS might release Zenimax & ABK games no but if the future is subscription or cloud those titles don’t show up to Sony essentially still being exclusive Sony should 100% buy multiple publishers & studios to bolster there IP & expertise to create live service games across PS, PC & mobile so that they don’t have to undermine there console by porting singleplayer games to PC because they need to increase revenue & there lack of live service means they need to port singleplayer games.

If Sony don’t buy Square Enix, Capcom & Kadokawa/Fromsoft MS, Saudi Arabia & China will be happily to secure those publishers & IP. What then MS makes an exclusive deal w a Kadokawa/Fromsoft under China control & those games never go to PS. Saudi Arabia buys Capcom or Square & wants to focus on Nintendo & mobile? MS & other big players certainly has the money to do that you should never rely on “relationships” or “ethics” in business

Last edited:

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
If they buy Capcom or Square like you want them to, you would get the same games you're getting now but they would be "fake first-party" like COD and Doom.

Capcom won't stop making RE or SF. Square won't stop making FF or Dragon Quest.

It's great to pad a list and make klobrille graphs but in reality nothing changes.
This is short term thinking & very bad for long term success. If Sony buys Capcom they can grow there presence in FGC by creating fighting games using Sony ip Sony can make Capcom make a smash clone w heavy investment promo using EVO & transform many Capcom ip to PSVR like resident evil, ips like monster hunter, dmc, dino crysis etc can be brought back w VR synergy. Same w Square, Sony & Square can bring many ip to VR make movie films tv shows & anime Xenogesrs Parasite Eve etc can comeback buying both publishers can also bolster PS first party ability to make content & cross promote w each other ei MH x Horizon, Street fighter x Demon Slayer etc those ip can be integrated into PS live service like studios like Haven or any other live service centric PS studio making events or maps or skins using those ip essentially what Fortnite is doing but there not owning the ip. Hypothetically in Fairgames if Sony acquired Capcom or Square Haven studio can make a map in the resident evil universe or a final fantasy map & you see cloud & sephiroth fighting in the background this level of cross promotion using iconic ip is what made Fortnite last so long & what made PS allstars flop because Sony didn’t owned Capcom they had to use the emo Dante. Ownership > Relationship. People play Fortnite & can play as Naruto while shooting Batman or drive cars w Kratos Master Chief & Spider Man. Ip is what made Smash so iconic with all the cross ip & a staple franchise. Sony don’t got ip like that they should definitely bolster there 1st party studio & IP

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
The title says it all.

What's happening with xbox I saw coming miles away. You don't buy a big successful 3rd party publisher to gate keep games. There is absolutely no chance games like cod will ever be exclusive.

Now all of you begging for take 2, EA etc

Do you guys want playstation to end up 3rd party? Because I sure don't.

Give me small developers instead of publishers thank you
I think these were always in response of an arms race for gate keeping within an eco system . Knowing what we know now, the context changes. And the answer is as it always was, no publisher amalgamation.

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
This is a brain dead statement not trying to sound rude but when a competitor (MS) is saying there strategy is to spend Sony out of business simply implying that they want to buy pivotal publisher & continue to buy publishers to make those games exclusive (even if there rumors of them going 3rd party & supporting native PS console who’s to say that cloud & subscription aren’t the future & control of ip means those games don’t show to your “ecosystem” very short minded thinking. Sony now partners w Sqaure Enix for exclusive deals they have a relationship but just like Zenimax & ABK who Sony had made exclusive deals & had a relationship if you don’t owned IP your leaving cracks & allowing competitors to bypass you by using $. Sure MS might release Zenimax & ABK games no but if the future is subscription or cloud those titles don’t show up to Sony essentially still being exclusive Sony should 100% buy multiple publishers & studios to bolster there IP & expertise to create live service games across PS, PC & mobile so that they don’t have to undermine there console by porting singleplayer games to PC because they need to increase revenue & there lack of live service means they need to port singleplayer games.

If Sony don’t buy Square Enix, Capcom & Kadokawa/Fromsoft MS, Saudi Arabia & China will be happily to secure those publishers & IP. What then MS makes an exclusive deal w a Kadokawa/Fromsoft under China control & those games never go to PS. Saudi Arabia buys Capcom or Square & wants to focus on Nintendo & mobile? MS & other big players certainly has the money to do that you should never rely on “relationships” or “ethics” in business

You realize part of microsoft spending sony out of business is sony spending Themselves into debt trying to compete right? It’ already sort of happening with stuff like ps plus and them having to raise prices to get bigger games on there to compete with gamepass, and purchases like Bungie that haven’t been yielding great returns, etc.

Sony buying a publisher puts them further into a hole, and it gives microsoft even more leverage in buying another bigger publisher. Sony can’t win by trying to compete with microsoft is spending, just like Microsoft can’t compete with sony in just being a console and game maker.

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I thing these wre always in response of an arms race for gate keeping within an eco system . Knowing what we know now, the context changes. And the answer is as it always was, no publisher amalgamation.
The problem w MS is they know & see there future but they can’t go to with PS & Nintendo being strong in console & with them also not heading MS directions it’s hard for MS/Xbox to influence the gaming industry to head that way. That’s why they bought publishers (4 publishers already acquired) with more seemingly in the way if there leaked documents are any to go by. Think theyll squeeze 2 more publisher or atleast till they get told no by regulators, gamers can’t say no to MS future if MS owns there beloved ip

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
I think PlayStation needs a fighter game studio like Arc.

Eh…. Playstation is already the de facto platform for fighters. They made that happen last gen. The standard hasn’t changed. They don’t “need” a fighting studio per se… they got the genre on lock.

I’ve said it in the past… Sony doesn’t need to buy anyone. They need to continue on the path. They’re actually capable of creating and fostering new ip and studios. I’m not worried. Sony is also the best in the industry at gauging changes in the market. I don’t doubt this anymore.

However… if I had to pick…

Gunfire as an up and coming pick. CDPR and From Software as major studio picks and stay multi platform.

Toho for Japanese media and film (and Godzilla) to expand non gaming media efforts / Sony pictures as well as strengthen their bond to the homeland.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
What's your point?

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
You realize part of microsoft spending sony out of business is sony spending Themselves into debt trying to compete right? It’ already sort of happening with stuff like ps plus and them having to raise prices to get bigger games on there to compete with gamepass, and purchases like Bungie that haven’t been yielding great returns, etc.

Sony buying a publisher puts them further into a hole, and it gives microsoft even more leverage in buying another bigger publisher. Sony can’t win by trying to compete with microsoft is spending, just like Microsoft can’t compete with sony in just being a console and game maker.
I think Sony spending themselves out of business would be them trying to loss lead a subscription like MS w gamepass. Sony can bolster there subscription w other method like handing free cosmetic or bonus perks for there live service games just like Amazon Primes give Twitch viewers bonus perk that are usually cosmetic for live service games.

So in a time where regulators approved MS acquisition of ABK worth 70 billion totaling 4 publishers acquired by MS in 3 years & them wanting to buy more publishers further pushing consolidation across the gaming industry & players like MS, Saudi Arabia, Tencent & others getting involved who are looking to buy publisher you think it’s a good idea for Sony to just sit by & continue to loose out on franchises heavily associated w PS? If we go by your logic we can live in a world where Zenimax & ABK games don’t show up to a PS ecosystem Capcom, Square Enix & Take 2 franchises etc no longer show up to a PS ecosystem.

Sony isn’t buying publisher to compete MS in spending no one suggested that lol but to suggest it’s bad idea for Sony to consolidate & acquire publisher w strong ip/expertise & rather to just sit by & not secure these 3rd party publisher indefinitely is pretty insane to consider giving what we know from MS documents & other companies interest in acquiring publishers

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I think Sony spending themselves out of business would be them trying to loss lead a subscription like MS w gamepass. Sony can bolster there subscription w other method like handing free cosmetic or bonus perks for there live service games just like Amazon Primes give Twitch viewers bonus perk that are usually cosmetic for live service games.

So in a time where regulators approved MS acquisition of ABK worth 70 billion totaling 4 publishers acquired by MS in 3 years & them wanting to buy more publishers further pushing consolidation across the gaming industry & players like MS, Saudi Arabia, Tencent & others getting involved who are looking to buy publisher you think it’s a good idea for Sony to just sit by & continue to loose out on franchises heavily associated w PS? If we go by your logic we can live in a world where Zenimax & ABK games don’t show up to a PS ecosystem Capcom, Square Enix & Take 2 franchises etc no longer show up to a PS ecosystem.

Sony isn’t buying publisher to compete MS in spending no one suggested that lol but to say it’s bad idea for Sony to consolidate & rather to just sit by & not secure these 3rd party publisher indefinitely is pretty insane to consider giving what we know from MS documents & other companies interest in acquiring publishers

What is sony losing out on right now? Zenimax nor Activision is putting out anything to change the tide, the xbox consoles are cooked

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
What is sony losing out on right now? Zenimax nor Activision is putting out anything to change the tide, the xbox consoles are cooked
So you wouldn’t mind if MS bought Sauare Enix? Would it bother you if Saudi Arabia acquired Capcom & no longer released games on PS & focused on Nintendo & mobile?

I still don’t get why people are relying on Sony current position & not looking at the future also relying on those publisher releasing games on PS due to relationship? Or PS current dominance? Your essentially a frog in a pot boiling not releazing whats going on even thoe it’s right in your face whats currently & about to occur in the future regarding consolidation. I would’ve thought after Zenimax & ABK people wouldn’t rely on precedent, no one would’ve thought of Zenimax being acquired & no one ever thought or brought up ABK as a possible acquisition now all 4 are under PS rival w MS documents & statement showing they want to continue buying publishers in the future

Last edited:

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
So you wouldn’t mind if MS bought Sauare Enix? Would it bother you if Saudi Arabia acquired Capcom & no longer released games on PS & focused on Nintendo & mobile?

I still don’t get why people are relying on Sony current position & not looking at the future also relying on those publisher releasing games on PS due to relationship? Or PS current dominance? Your essentially a frog in a pot boiling not releazing whats going on even thoe it’s right in your face whats currently & about to occur in the future regarding consolidation. I would’ve thought after Zenimax & ABK people wouldn’t rely on precedent, no one would’ve thought of Zenimax being acquired & no one ever thought or brought up ABK as a possible acquisition now all 4 are under PS rival w MS documents & statement showing they want to continue buying publishers in the future

I’m far less bothered by microsoft acquiring anything else at this point in time

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Content droughts don’t actually exist. People buy playstations (and always have) for 3rd party games. These droughts only exist to a small segment of enthusiast that feed on hype and showcases that most owners don’t even watch.

People are saying sony are in a content drought when last year had an onslaught of major titles every month. This year we’re in a “content drought” with a new tekken, yakuza, rise of ronin, persona, helldivers 2, PoP, Final Fntasy, etc. etc.

Most people don’t have the time to even play the amount of games that are releasing. People on forums just need shit to talk about. People have a ton of games to play

No one here is sitting around with nothing to play. 3rd party games are still games
All that drought rubbish. is internet waffle. And dudes too deep in the console war crap. I'd say it's mostly youtubers who can't be more creative with their content.So are the loudest.

Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
It's very doubtful they will buy anything publisher size anytime soon.

I'm pretty positive.

I also think they will be pushing AI and people will not like that.
Oh that's over. Now that Satya and The CFO has stepped in. It means Phil's plans have failed. CFO is trying to recoup and balance the books asap.

Satya as a software guy will do what he knows.Sell software.MS brand logo everywhere.