So... you guys still want sony to buy a big publisher and end up 3rd party like xbox?

So?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Sony really did Quanitic dreams dirty
They did themselves dirty lol. But I still think Sony should've bought them and made them fix the company culture, Heavy Rain and Detroit are masterpieces. QD has fallen off hard since they stopped working with Sony.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Look through the acquisitions thread, I've always been against Sony buying a big publisher, it just doesn't make sense. They should focus on acquiring smaller up and coming studios like Ember Lab and contracting their existing IPs out to 3rd party companies

Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Look through the acquisitions thread, I've always been against Sony buying a big publisher, it just doesn't make sense. They should focus on acquiring smaller up and coming studios like Ember Lab and contracting their existing IPs out to 3rd party companies
Well, I'd say that studio that the Rocksteady founders set up would be a good one.

I think PlayStation needs a fighter game studio like Arc.

Ioi would also be great cause they make that sandpit style game with so many possibilities.

But I think the jewel to go for is Kadokawa and From Soft if they could ever get it.

But if they spend a lot on a studio, talent can just leave, so that's a constant worry.

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Comparing an apple to an orange.

Sony are not in the same situation as Microsoft who are seeing subscriptions and hardware sales drying up.

They can buy a big publisher and remain in the console business.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
I think the difference is MS was buying 3rd party publishers to bolster ip & to create game everywhere MS isn’t a hardware company also there console that only sell 50 million & consumer base who don’t buy games cause they’ve been devalued by gamepass was gonna take a long time for MS to justify

If Sony bout a publisher it would be exclusive Sony is a hardware company & can easily recoup also Sony needs to bolster ip which the only option is to buy publishers or continue to run out of partners, MS will continue to buy publisher till they get told stop so I can see them squeeze 1 or 2 more publishers by 2027

Neversummer

27 Jun 2023
Well, I'd say that studio that the Rocksteady founders set up would be a good one.

I think PlayStation needs a fighter game studio like Arc.

Ioi would also be great cause they make that sandpit style game with so many possibilities.

But I think the jewel to go for is Kadokawa and From Soft if they could ever get it.

But if they spend a lot on a studio, talent can just leave, so that's a constant worry.
That’s why you buy a publisher you get talent & if talent leave you then own strong ip

But yuh Sony top publisher to acquire should be Kadokawa/Fromsoft, Capcom, Square Enix with studios on the look out Arrowhead, Arc & any of the new studios by veteran developers

• Shake
Reactions: Bryank75

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Sony really did Quanitic dreams dirty
Yes they did all to win brownie points with a subset of gamers that hated David Cage games no matter how good they were. yes, the studio got in some legal troubles but the professional thing to do was to wait to see how things play out before dropping the studio. They are extremely missed this generation, they've always been there at the start with some quirky tech demo that puts everyone to shame graphically. They rally should have been a first party studio once the 3 game deal contract got fulfilled

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Yes I want them to buy a publisher, or a few studios.
No it wont end up like MS and Xbox.

Square, FromSoft, Warner, Konami IP, Sega, Capcom etc.

PS studio games are taking longer and longer to come out. So Sony needs to buy.
Big companies are buying these publishers and might get blocked from Playstation in the future. So its best Sony buys a couple. Its not like they didnt make a bunch of money last gen and the current PS studios arent exactly releasing more.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Sony has as many active users on PS4/PS5 as Steam.

Why would they abandon Playstation and their subscription service and move to Steam and pay 30% to boot.

Seriously what planet are you living on?
They shouldn't abandon it. They should make Playstation Steam machines.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Muddasar

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Content droughts don’t actually exist. People buy playstations (and always have) for 3rd party games. These droughts only exist to a small segment of enthusiast that feed on hype and showcases that most owners don’t even watch.

People are saying sony are in a content drought when last year had an onslaught of major titles every month. This year we’re in a “content drought” with a new tekken, yakuza, rise of ronin, persona, helldivers 2, PoP, Final Fntasy, etc. etc.

Most people don’t have the time to even play the amount of games that are releasing. People on forums just need shit to talk about. People have a ton of games to play

No one here is sitting around with nothing to play. 3rd party games are still games

PS studios/1st Party content draughts do exist.
I find the PS studio games like God of War, TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne and NIntendo 1st party games better than most 3rd party Games. Obviously I enjoy 3rd party games, but PS studios mostly scream quality.

So why would I prefer having more 3rd party games? Give me more PS studio games please. Im not defending there lack of games when PS3 and PS4 gen was made amazing by PS studios and 1st/3rd party exclusives..

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
I find the PS studio games like God of War, TLOU, Uncharted, Horizon, Ghost of Tsushima, Bloodborne and NIntendo 1st party games better than most 3rd party Games. Obviously I enjoy 3rd party games, but PS studios mostly scream quality.

So why would I prefer having more 3rd party games? Give me more PS studio games please. Im not defending there lack of games when PS3 and PS4 gen was made amazing by PS studios and 1st/3rd party exclusives..
If they buy Capcom or Square like you want them to, you would get the same games you're getting now but they would be "fake first-party" like COD and Doom.

Capcom won't stop making RE or SF. Square won't stop making FF or Dragon Quest.

It's great to pad a list and make klobrille graphs but in reality nothing changes.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If they buy Capcom or Square like you want them to, you would get the same games you're getting now but they would be "fake first-party" like COD and Doom.

It's great to pad a list and make klobrille graphs but in reality nothing changes.

It’s all about exclusives to me.
God of War could go multiplatform, Spiderman too, and nothing will change for us, we’d buy and play those games. It would get more “sales”.
But we want these titles for Playstation only. To make the brand stronger. Just like Persona, Yakuza use to. Or even DMC, Final Fantasy, Tekken use to in the old days.

We would then also get games like Triangle Strategy, Octopath 1, where we didnt get these games day 1 on PS.
Square would definitely be managed better under Sony (maybe not the current gaming management)

And we wont have situations like Yakuza and Persona or Ninja Theory. Who‘s stopping the next Tomb Raider, Dues Ex, or the next Yakuza not coming to PS, it could happen. Companies do stupid things and lose money, but that means we lose games.

We champion games like Stellar Blade and Helldivers 2 on this forum but we all know we’d rather have a Fromsoft exclusive or a Capcom exclusive. An exclusive MGS game or Persona 6 exclusive for PS5. Yes we’ll still get those games even if there not exclusive for PS but the same could be said about Helldivers 2 lol or any game….Nothing will change if Helldivers 2 is multiplatform

Better to have some more solid IP’s under the PS umbrella because at the Speed Sony releases new IP’s, its Gonna take way too long.
Call it bragging rights, Im ok with that. But I think it will bring more security to Playstation brand. Its a good thing by having more popular IPs and having more PS exclusives release more often.
We need more exclusive studios

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023

If those Capcom games went Exclusive full console exclusive they would do major damage over time though. Square Enix not so much but Capcom would disrupt the field because of their huge PC following same for From Software going forward

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Everyone here would probably agree but playstaiton consoles aren’t being sold on the backs of just god of war and spider-man, it’s a 3rd party platform. it’s always been, sony haven’t really been a force in big single player games untl the later ps3 generation. So what sold the PS1 and PS2? Capcom, Konami, Square Enix/Soft, Bandai Namco. EA, Take Two, Etc.

Aand those the 3rd party are still helping sell playstations, one exclusive Konami game this year, one exclusive square enix game, a big capcom game, a koei Tecmo exclusive, etc.

Sony buying a big publisher like some else said is just padding the stats. We don’t get anything tangible from it outside of list wars. Playstaiton will never miss big 3rd party games, especially from Japan. Buying a big 3rd party publisher isn’t even going to get exclusives, you have better Chance at getting a square enix or konami exclusive as a 3rd party then from them as first party. Sony doesn’t have to be responsbile for final fantasy sales, they would definitely be if they were in charge of an additional 5000 developers.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
From Software and/or Larian is all I want

I don't see any other devs that fit as well with Sony's values

Reactions: Kokoloko