Sony: Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024.5.23 | Business Segment Meeting

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Another PR disaster
Capture_decran_2024-05-29_a_13.18.36.png
Yep. Neil clarified this real quick, but people didn't give a fuck because their hate boner for him and their love for actual fake news that validates their insecurities took over.

24 Jun 2022
Yah of course the quote was a mistake. It was actually talking about a new video game from Naughty Dog, a SIE 1P studio.

We don't talk about video games in this video game industry, from a video game developer, okay?

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
There is a slide that suggest the Bluepoint is a "Partner studio" like Nixxes... makes it sound like they'll keep remaking games.

Also, Helldivers 2 sold more than Spider-man 2, that is insane.

24 Jun 2022
Those slides are not going to go down well with a lot of people about here.

Spin incoming about £500 dollars pc's being a must for going forward.

Cat Sunday GIF by Framesequence

I'm sure if you adjusted for inflation those other numbers would look closer to PS5's than they do in the charts themselves 😉

Not gonna knock PS5's financial success; I never have. But I still have a lot of doubts about the PC strategy as it currently is, and the long-term negatives it can have on game scope, quality, and polish.

Which, well, if that stuff starts to falter, so will SIE's long-term revenue and profits. But at least I know they'll work to ensure that doesn't happen, significantly better than Microsoft did 🤷‍♂️

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023
Those slides are not going to go down well with a lot of people about here.

Spin incoming about £500 dollars pc's being a must for going forward.

Cat Sunday GIF by Framesequence
I'm sure if you adjusted for inflation those other numbers would look closer to PS5's than they do in the charts themselves 😉

Not gonna knock PS5's financial success; I never have. But I still have a lot of doubts about the PC strategy as it currently is, and the long-term negatives it can have on game scope, quality, and polish.

Which, well, if that stuff starts to falter, so will SIE's long-term revenue and profits. But at least I know they'll work to ensure that doesn't happen, significantly better than Microsoft did 🤷‍♂️
No previous generation ever had live service games where people regularly spent hundreds on microtransactions....and no previous console had full digital backwards compatibility. PS5 is doing financially well because the PS4 was a huge success and because of the general (predatory) gaming landscape, not because of anything good Sony has done.

24 Jun 2022
No previous generation ever had live service games where people regularly spent hundreds on microtransactions....and no previous console had full digital backwards compatibility. PS5 is doing financially well because the PS4 was a huge success and because of the general (predatory) gaming landscape, not because of anything good Sony has done.

Personally I wouldn't go quite that far, but you bring up some very good points about live service & full BC digital library.

Also ooof, I'm listening to this answer about PC expansion and it sounded like a bit of a struggle. Something tells me they don't have all the data yet to determine one way or the other if the PC strategy will have a longer-term negative impact on PS5 console adoption. They're just optimistic that it won't 👀.

Well I have my own theory...maybe they can also ask Microsoft to share their data with Xbox if they need some hard numbers to show one way or another if PC has a notable impact on console 😲

EDIT: Now Herman addressed that PC question and it's a nice sound byte...but they don't clarify HOW bringing non-GAAS titles to PC 2 or so years after console will convince PC gamers to pick up a console...

...especially when PC players might figure a cadence of the sequels going to PC too. If the PC gamer doesn't have FOMO, that strategy of drawing a PC gamer to pick up a console is basically nullified, because SIE's cadence up to this point has been to bring basically ALL of their current-gen releases to PC!

Reactions: JAHGamer