Sony: Corporate Strategy Meeting 2024.5.23 | Business Segment Meeting

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its becoming very obvious that most corporations do not care about their customers. Only their shareholders
They only care about bullshiting their share holders and telling them lies too.

Reactions: Box

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
Crunchyroll on PSN in a real car.
If they add Crunchyroll to PS+ on one of the tiers id be happy with that, That way i everyone that has that said tier will be counted as both PS+ and Crunchyroll Sub Number.
I know they have "Some" of the Crunchyroll stuff on that core streaming thing but there is hardly anything on there worth watching lol

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
If they add Crunchyroll to PS+ on one of the tiers id be happy with that, That way i everyone that has that said tier will be counted as both PS+ and Crunchyroll Sub Number.
I know they have "Some" of the Crunchyroll stuff on that core streaming thing but there is hardly anything on there worth watching lol
If they added it to extra i'd have an incentive to sub to that again. But knowing Sony they'll probably add a new tier that's like $200 a year and shove it in there. That'd piss me off.

• they're_right_you_know

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
If they added it to extra i'd have an incentive to sub to that again. But knowing Sony they'll probably add a new tier that's like $200 a year and shove it in there. That'd piss me off.
I wish they'd add it to Extra, it would give me an incentive to renew it since I have crunchyroll already as a standalone subscription.

Reactions: SLB1904

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I forgot that the Corporate Strategy Meeting was today, I'll watch it now. Just noticed that for the first time they uploaded the stream to youtube instead of to their crappy website webcast, and made a proper presentation:

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/strategy/pdf/2024/speech_E.pdf
  • Sales of entertainment (not only gaming) grew from being 30% of their total to 60%
Vision for Sony's (not only gaming) future beyond the mid-range plan (so more than 3 years, said 10 years or so):
  • Creative Entertainment Vision
    • Creativity unleashed: To harness technology to unleash creativity of creators around the wold, trascending physical, virtual and time dimensions
    • Boundaries transcended: To connect the diverse people and values across boundaries to foster vibrant communities
    • Narratives everywhere: To create exciting experiences rich in narrative that go beyond imagination
    • Create Infinite Realities: Together with creators, to seamlessly connect multi-layered worlds at the points where the physical and virtual overlap

image.png

Fictional devices in an insiprational video for the long term vision:
VfqA9BXG0KQa.png

PN3fA0vH7Q3O.png

wMGFiUBRcA6D.png

In the inspirational video there's some kind of fictional concept of a Sony theme park or VR version of PS Home using Sony IPs like Horizon or Ghostbusters as attractions:
9F8iKQILRwhk.png

They plan to expand in merchandising too:
image.png

Mentions that in gaming they not only work on Sony IP, showing as example Crunchyroll Games publishing Street Fighter Duel, or Sony providing a tech to scan Gundam plastic model kits for Bandai Namco's upcoming "Gundam Metaverse"...:
jJvn2gd2proY.png

And also highlight they support small creators in emerging markets with India/China Hero initiatives:
image.png

PlayStation Network is available in 181 countries, their server cost shouldn't be small:
image.png

Apparently plan to use PSN as "engagement platform" to unify the user accounts for 34 Sony services which include 29M user accounts (not counting PSN):
image.png

• After saying they don't comment on the Paramount acquisition rumors appeared in the media, in the Q&A got asked that if a good opportunity for acquisition appears they'd go beyond the related budget they'd do it. Totoki said they prefer to keep it within the budget, which also includes a flexible amount of buyback stocks. Meaning, they can reduce the stock buyback to spent more on acquisitions but would try to be within the budget.
  • Totoki said in the Q&A that they missed the 25M target because it was difficult to calculate it due to the tailwind of the pandemic and that was an aggresive forecast, and that now once the pandemic is over they can calculate it again with the normal sales of all consoles. He says that the console market share is growing and that he considers PS5 very successful and that they are happy with its performance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me and Puff

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I wish they'd add it to Extra, it would give me an incentive to renew it since I have crunchyroll already as a standalone subscription.

It's weird that you get 3 months of free Crunchyroll when you subscribe to gamepass. I don't understand why Sony does this but doesn't offer the same for PS Plus subscriber.

OP
OP
Puff

Puff

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Hiroki Totoki: In the G&NS segment, under the theme of “Console & Beyond,” we aim to drive profit growth of the Sony Group by expanding the stable installed base of PlayStation consoles, providing richer gaming experiences, and growing our business through the two-pronged approach of expanding into PCs and enhancing the first-party software titles originating from our in-house studios into which we have invested.

stable installed base of PlayStation consoles?

It's insane how naive these bean counters are :rolleyes:

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022

stable installed base of PlayStation consoles?

It's insane how naive these bean counters are :rolleyes:
Based on the above (which is from the previous call) I'm fully expecting them to go day and date very soon - this is great news, because I can then just park my PS5 and use my PC. The bad thing is that their game quality standards will drop even further, and their pipeline will suffer even more, but that's what the bean counters have picked.

It will probably lead to me buying fewer PS games overall, especially the collectors editions for them. More money in my pocket for developers that actually deserve it I guess.

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
It will probably lead to me buying fewer PS games overall, especially the collectors editions for them. More money in my pocket for developers that actually deserve it I guess.
Starfield DLC!

TigerFang

7 Mar 2024
I don't think there's any point in going day&date on PC.

They can sell millions of copies and drive users to buy console because it's exclusive.

Then they can rejuvenate the game with a PC release & that would also drive more sales on console as well.

& give the studio more funds while they are in mid-development years after the initial release of the previous game.

Reactions: Puff

Darth Vader

Founder
20 Jun 2022
I don't think there's any point in going day&date on PC.

They can sell millions of copies and drive users to buy console because it's exclusive.

Then they can rejuvenate the game with a PC release & that would also drive more sales on console as well.

& give the studio more funds while they are in mid-development years after the initial release of the previous game.
There wasn't any point on going PC and they did it. Now they are missing console sales targets and are trailing behind the PS4.

They should have had their Live Service games on PC day one, and that's it. At best have some AA spin-offs of major franchises developed by third party studios released on both platforms, to attract people to their main platform.

As it stands right now, they are killing their console business slowly, and it will get worse (you can bookmark this post if you want).

Reactions: JAHGamer and Puff