Sony FY2023 Earnings Announcement: 4.5M PS5 sold in Q4 (20.8M in FY2023, 59.2M LTD). Allocating 11.5 billion in future acquisitions.

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Just waking up from my slumber to add some thoughts
  • Missing your sales target after revising it 16% down is more proof that their PC port strategy is fucking them up. Anybody stating otherwise is just taking the piss at this point
  • The only game that made sense to be released on PC sold like hot cakes - it's not like people were saying that live service games should be on PC day one, as opposed to SP games, which should never be ther

Bonus round: Sony manages to fire a load of people on PS studios and then gets TWO CEOs, including promoting Hermen "I keep fucking up" Hulst. PS is definitely the new Xbox, and the writing is on the wall.

Tom that old snake

Where did he lie? Sony planned to sell 25M, revised down to 21M, and still missed it. They are trailing behind the PS4 and the gap will increase. How are these good news?

Now back to my slumber I go.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Tom that old snake

From 25m estimates to 20.8m in reality, followed by a 29% decrease YoY estimate (that they could very well lower again), can't blame Tom Warrior for this one.

PS5 already losing momentum at a point where the Nintendo Switch was still nowhere close to slowing down.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: arvfab

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
800k behind PS4 isn't that bad.

What IS bad is that they don't plan to try to catch up with PS4.

18 million is unambitious and I think they should be aiming to hit 20 million at least.

If they need to do price cuts along the way, so be it.

Reactions: Dabaus and Sircaw

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022

18 million is unambitious and I think they should be aiming to hit 20 million at least.

800k is not that bad NOW. but their 18M is the same as 25M last year and even those 18M would push them even more under PS4, so 18M would make even bigger gap between those two platforms.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
  • Missing your sales target after revising it 16% down is more proof that their PC port strategy is fucking them up. Anybody stating otherwise is just taking the piss at this point
  • The only game that made sense to be released on PC sold like hot cakes - it's not like people were saying that live service games should be on PC day one, as opposed to SP games, which should never be ther

Bonus round: Sony manages to fire a load of people on PS studios and then gets TWO CEOs, including promoting Hermen "I keep fucking up" Hulst. PS is definitely the new Xbox, and the writing is on the wall.

Where did he lie? Sony planned to sell 25M, revised down to 21M, and still missed it. They are trailing behind the PS4 and the gap will increase. How are these good news?

That's what I have been saying lastly. PC did affect them ultimately. They did take a hit in their sales, because all these people abstained from buying a PS5. The question was the shift to port games to PC worth it? Probably not. Thou I think it's too early to put them in the same bag as Xbox. 100M PS5 are easily obtainable. If the PS6 can prevent from selling worse than PS5, depends on if the Sony leadership can catch themselves to correct course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sircaw and Jim Ryan

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Do you think the projections include PS5 Pro?
PS5 sales will boost with PS5 Pro imo. If the solution of Sony PSSR enables people to play GTA VI on 60 fps, many will gain some confidence again in Sony. There a bunch of gamers who abandoned Sony because the couldn't not always play 3rd Partys games on a consistent 60 fps. Some will regret, that they sold their PS5. Historically Rockstar PC ports not running well on PC. Also remember many retailers will offer trade-in for PS5 Pro like Gamestop etc.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Jim Ryan

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Just to point... in terms of sales power PS5 is in better position than PS4.
PS5 is basically neck a neck with PS4 without any price cut.

FY2016 was when PS4 dropped to $299 with Slim.
FY2023 continue having PS5 at $499 / $399.

With PS4 Slim at $299 Sony archived 20m and 19m with PS4 shipment.

PS5 had another all record PlayStation year.

Last edited:

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022

Welcome back, you big wet fart.

I knew you would miss me 😍

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Just to point... in terms of sales power PS5 is in better position than PS4.
PS5 is basically neck a neck with PS4 without any price cut.

FY2016 was when PS4 dropped to $299 with Slim.
FY2023 continue having PS5 at $499 / $399.

With PS4 Slim at $299 Sony archived 20m and 19m with PS4 shipment.
my money isn't worth what was worth in 2016. i would say, selling now 499$ isn't a flex.
in 2016 399$ was a bigger deal to spend then 499$ in 2023 because all prices skyrocketed because money devalued by huge margin.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
my money isn't worth what was worth in 2016. i would say, selling now 499$ isn't a flex.
in 2016 399$ was a bigger deal to spend then 499$ in 2023 because all prices skyrocketed because money devalued by huge margin.
Yeap but PS4 was $299 from September 2016 onward.
That is what busted sales.

In Q3 FY2016 (Oct-Dec 2016) they shipped 9.7 million units.

FZzIdTyXEAI0mIi

If you compare with PS5 FY2023 you can see quarter by quarter PS5 was stronger but lose in the Q3 because PS4 had a price cut.

dGkxESG.png

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I will make a bold claim here.

Sony expected a price cut for PS5 in FY2023... in fact a price cut to boost sales in Q3.
That was why they projected 25m for the FY and after realize they could not do the price cut they stopped it to 21m.
If you look quarter by quarter you see PS5 sales where strong in Q1, Q2 and Q4 but fall short in Q4.

A price cut for PS5 should had boosted sales by 2-3 million in Q4 and so being close to these initial 25m projection.

I strong believe Sony expected a price cut for PS5 this year.
In fact they planned for a price cut.

But component tech didn't shrink enough to reach a lower price.
That is one of the results of having the Moore Law slowed.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
dear, the major first party titles i'm reffering to are God Of War, Spiderman, The Last Of Us, titles that sell 20M+ units lifetime, tho Helldivers 2 sold very well, it's not from a first party studio, Sony themselfs said they won't have major releases til March 2025
Helldivers 2 is selling better than God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU and any other exclusive in gaming history. Concord pertty likely will sell better.

Sony didn't expect Helldives 2 to be that successful, and what they really said in the sentence you mention was only about sequels, said that no sequels of these top selling series this FY. But obviously they'll have new IPs -some of them could be major, like Concord or if it exists the Cory one- and also sequels of stuff like Death Stranting 2.

Loy310

Veteran
14 Aug 2022
The PS5 need to work on its libary if it wants to keep up with PS4. By this point last gen PS4 had GTA5, SM and GOW.
Regardless the PS5 is still the best console hadrware Sony have ever launched.

Reactions: VillaiN
OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

PS5 did this FY 20.8M, which is better than the peak PS4 FY (20.0M). PS4 only had a another year better than 18M, where they did 19M.

But in PS4, unlike in PS5 they were able to price cut the console because like in every generation except in the current one the component prices went down over time, so they were able to price cut it at that period.

This is not possible in the current generation, where the prices went up so high that instead of price cut the console they had to rise the price. It is due to unusually (due to covid) huge inflation in many countries, which is expected to continue high.

Launch aligned is just after PS4 and Switch, super close. Even with the pricing stuff and the shortages they had.