Sony Has A Crucial Decision To Make After Jim Ryan's Retirement.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022
It's obvious that they need a North American resident with strong PC publishing experience.
On the contrary id say they need a Japanese resident with Mobile ties. Strengthen ties with Japanese publishers and further gain a foothold in China should be priority IMO. Invest in MIYOHO should also be a priority if they can. Thanks to "wokeness", DEI initiatives, and and general mismanagement, Western gaming is literally dying before our eyes. Time to focus on where your already strong AND where the money is.

Edit: Western Publishers

-Bethesda, MS owned. Redfall was a disaster, starfield mega flopped and their stuck with that horrible engine. Besides Doom, nothing of value and weve yet to see how that looks under MS.

ABK- MS owned. If leaks are to be beleived Blizzard is a shambling corpse, COD is about to leave its yearly cadence, and king is doing well. If COD takes a year off and something fills the void or they have a bad game, it will be the biggest wasted invest in history. It inevitably already is.

EA- Probably in the best shape of all western publishers. Fifa/football game should do well and they have apex legends. Dead space remake was well received and hopefully mass effect reboot is a hit.

Ubisoft: Nothing but a downward trajectory. I could see Avatar as small hit though but long looks choppy.

Embracer: Total Collapse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
On the contrary id say they need a Japanese resident with Mobile ties. Strengthen ties with Japanese publishers and further gain a foothold in China should be priority IMO. Invest in MIYOHO should also be a priority if they can. Thanks to "wokeness", DEI initiatives, and and general mismanagement, Western gaming is literally dying before our eyes. Time to focus on where your already strong AND where the money is.
I agree especially with the woke bs being shoehorned in and diff western philosophies. I resonate more with the Japanese philosophies of gaming generally (I live in Nyc, America btw lol)

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
trump fake news GIF

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Im thinking Lin Tao will be his replacement:

Nuh, they wouldn't put someone in between if she were fit.
I mean, if they knew Jim has to retire, why permanent replacement was not ready? Why is there a transitional CEO?
Some questions need to be answered.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Johnic

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
I hate that IGN has him previewing PS games/products. They should have him exclusively cover Xbox.
He should be exclusively covering the corner flag of an over 70s 5 a side soccer competition for priests.

Umar

Veteran
20 Jun 2022
PSN ID
Progamer265446
Whoever replaces Jim has to know how to communicate better with the Ps community and no go a whole 2 years with barely any first party announcements. Also cut down on the number of gaas games, no pc ports for sp games and invest more in smaller/mid size games to fill in the gaps when there are no triple AAA releases. Also invest more in first party vr games.

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
A big craw for me is Sony's BC support. I find that having to first of all setup dummy region accounts because some PS1 games were only fit for US's BC service... And then those PS3 digital PSOne purchases are stranded to be ridiculous. Or games that didn't migrate from PSNow to PS+. They were bought digitally under their BC program with the expectation of working going forward (well, obviously). And I say that knowing PS+ BC tier probably still outnumbers what's on XB's, I just want the ability to have a full meal. I didn't feel like the... history of the brand was understood or the audience respected properly, based on the moves Jim made, coupled with the opportunities he missed, or the statements he said. I hope next PS President understands BC and IP's roles, as far as strengthening PS's services, and wider Sony opportunities in media/anime/evo/themepark cross-promotions.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Whoever replaces Jim has to know how to communicate better with the Ps community and no go a whole 2 years with barely any first party announcements. Also cut down on the number of gaas games, no pc ports for sp games and invest more in smaller/mid size games to fill in the gaps when there are no triple AAA releases. Also invest more in first party vr games.
whoever replaces ryan should tank playstation profits and underfund successful aaa development in other words.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
No, they said CUT PC ports, not pursue more ports. Ok, sport? Run along.
Jim Ryan:
"recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward"

"we expect those [games] to have slightly greater sales and profitability, reflecting our confidence in the long-term installed base of PS5, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC"

We've got it straight from the horse's mouth. You just invent your own fantasy world.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Ryan ultimately leaves PlayStation in a strong position. It's the console market leader and growing its share with each passing month. Its global reach its expanding, and its games are continuing to win awards and break sales records. Whoever takes charge from here will be inheriting a company in an enviable position.
This is the riskiest part.

As for monetization, I think that this is inevitable that Sony will keep working on the GaaS aspect and other streams of income. I just hope they don't sacrifice their existing studios and even expand their single player games production and stay focused on this instead of trying to get some of that mobile gaming money.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Jim Ryan:
"recognise the economics of game development, which are not always straightforward"

"we expect those [games] to have slightly greater sales and profitability, reflecting our confidence in the long-term installed base of PS5, as well as the fact that those games will make their way to PC"

We've got it straight from the horse's mouth. You just invent your own fantasy world.
The person you quoted, not Jim Ryan.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
The person you quoted, not Jim Ryan.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.31.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.33.39 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 4.35.37 PM.png

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
View attachment 2407

View attachment 2408

View attachment 2409

I don't know what to tell you because you've been confused for a good few hours now. I'm talking about @Umar. Umar said, about Jim's successor:

Also cut down on the number of gaas games, no pc ports for sp games and invest more in smaller/mid size games to fill in the gaps when there are no triple AAA releases.

You tried to dunk on him but got slammed into the pavement by my response, then you started dredging up Jim Ryan quotes.

Jim Ryan can't prove Jim Ryan was right about PC ports of SP titles. I don't dispute Jim Ryan said those things. Jim Ryan is wrong. Jim Ryan is gone, and so is your dream of more PC ports of SP titles.

• noneofmybizz
Reactions: Umar and Gamernyc78

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Im thinking Lin Tao will be his replacement:

Sounds as a candidate with a lot of chances to get the position:
  • Sony is market leader in consoles, game subs and cloud gaming, it's starting in PC (already top 20 publisher), expanded their IPs to cinemas and tv and their next step, in addition to get stronger in all these areas, will be to highly grow in mobile.
  • She has worked on building the current SIE strategy, knows the strategy
  • Has been at Sony since the PS2 (in SIE back then 5 years and last year came back), knows the company and gaming
  • And also was in Sony Mobile/Ericsson, knows mobile
  • Also worked in the HQ coordinating and planning the future of Sony and leaded business development
  • Worked closely with Hirai and the current CEO, who may support her to get the role
  • She is a woman and not white, which gives extra woke points for PR and marketing

Gonna be Eric Lempel.
1. Follows the line of promoting folks that started out in the marketing wing of SIE.
2. He is PlayStation thur and thru.
3. Been marketing the brand since PS3 era.
4. Great at communication.
5. Much younger
He's a great candidate too, I think that with Lin Tao is maybe the person with more changes
  • 23 years working at SIE
  • Worked always at SIE as marketing/business management/product planning
  • Currently works as SIE SVP of Marketing
  • He also is a Bungie board of directors member, so may help with their integration
  • He's also head of PSN, so may push harder the PC (and maybe also mobile in the future) PSN store
  • He's white, heterosexual and male, so has less chances to get the promotion regarding woke PR points

Last edited: