Sony Has A Crucial Decision To Make After Jim Ryan's Retirement.

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Whoever replaces Jim has to know how to communicate better with the Ps community and no go a whole 2 years with barely any first party announcements. Also cut down on the number of gaas games, no pc ports for sp games and invest more in smaller/mid size games to fill in the gaps when there are no triple AAA releases. Also invest more in first party vr games.
PC ports are here to stay. They weren’t even Jim Ryan’s idea, they were Shawn Layden’s. People forget this.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I feel like given how large a company like Sony/PlayStation is, even if the new CEO is on the exact same page as the core audience, it will take quit a while for some of the larger strategy changes to take effect, maybe even towards the end of the generation. There are some things a new CEO could do that would be noticeable much sooner than that though, namely, better communication in the form of more frequent and higher quality game showcases and an increased presence at certain gaming events. A new CEO may also be more aggressive in terms of their acquisition strategy and more ambitious in terms of acquisition targets, which would be noticeable quite a bit sooner than a fundamental change in Sony's first party strategy would be. They could also do better in ensuring good relations with 3rd party partners and not take them for granted.

Basically, even the best CEO wouldn't be able to make the GAAS obsession go away overnight, but they could make it so that we aren't completely in the dark about the remaining single-player games Sony's studios are working on and they could decide to acquire more traditional game dev studios/pubs going forward.

Banana

Banned
10 Jan 2023
They have to actually do all the opposite things to what Dring is saying here...

Move away from GAAS, shut down PC ports and there probably needs to be a shakeup at the PR / marketing side. PR is particularly bad.

A CEO that can identify what studios / publishers they need to make first party, can close up the platform and make it highly valuable to buy a PS console, add more value by getting PSX-PS3 / PSP games working locally on PS5 etc.

If it is open or even semi-open, the value isn't going to be there to push sales to where they need to be. Especially with price increases like we have.
You HAVE to offer more if you are asking much more money from customers.
If anything, they will move further in that direction.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
This is the riskiest part.

As for monetization, I think that this is inevitable that Sony will keep working on the GaaS aspect and other streams of income. I just hope they don't sacrifice their existing studios and even expand their single player games production and stay focused on this instead of trying to get some of that mobile gaming money.
They’ve ALREADY said, NUMEROUS times that the GAAS development is NOT COMING AT THE EXPENSE OF TRADITIONAL GAMES. It’s being done IN ADDITION TO TRADITIONAL DEVELOPMENT.

Read that till it sinks in, we are over the quota for concern posting about GAAS taking away from traditional games, especially since it has been refuted again and again!

Dick Jones

Corporate Dick
Icon Extra
5 Jul 2022
They’ve ALREADY said, NUMEROUS times that the GAAS development is NOT COMING AT THE EXPENSE OF TRADITIONAL GAMES. It’s being done IN ADDITION TO TRADITIONAL DEVELOPMENT.

Read that till it sinks in, we are over the quota for concern posting about GAAS taking away from traditional games, especially since it has been refuted again and again!
Exactly this. If Gaas games weren't funded the traditional games budget would be the same down to the cent. More funds were released to PS Division to tackle the Gaas problem and hope one or more stick and can bring more money to the company. The more successful Gaas is the more money at play to make the traditional AAA games, and hopefully more studios running at the same time.

Dabaus

Veteran
28 Jun 2022

Well, that was then, this is now.

• Informative
Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Exactly this. If Gaas games weren't funded the traditional games budget would be the same down to the cent. More funds were released to PS Division to tackle the Gaas problem and hope one or more stick and can bring more money to the company. The more successful Gaas is the more money at play to make the traditional AAA games, and hopefully more studios running at the same time.
If you run a business and are responsible for thousands of people's revenues you don't throw extra money into the things that make you less money. So, if the GaaS aspect is very succesfull there are two options:
1 - They grow GaaS with the money it makes and keep single player as it is
2 - They grow GaaS and reduce the importance of Single Player games development for it to be at scale with the money it brings in to the company

They're not going to put all the money made from the thing we don't like into the thing we like.

So in a sense I would rather not have too much GaaS success.

24 Jun 2022
If anything, they will move further in that direction.

If they do, it'll be the death of PlayStation and would be completely deserved.

There's only really room for like 5-6 big or moderately big GaaS titles any given generation, it seems like. Even heavily established IPs like Halo and Diablo have died on the hill of trying to go GaaS and failing spectacularly.

Sony may have much better management of their studios and IPs when it comes to traditional and limited live-service titles but how much of that really translates over to GaaS? Because it will not be 100% that much I can promise. And, how much would they need to compete against the MiHoYos, NetEases, EAs, Ubisofts (or whoever owns CounterStrike...I think it's Valve?), Epics etc. because that will be Sony's competition in the GaaS space (alongside others I didn't name).

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't go for GaaS at all. But, they need to very smart about it, and aim for genres and takes that would be extremely novel and unique in the GaaS market. Something like a PvPvE-style rhythm game, or GaaS platformer. With all due respect stuff like FairGame$ ain't it and Marathon mainly has such a strong shot because it's Bungie, otherwise it'd be one of many scifi-themed FPS GaaS titles in the market.

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Sounds as a candidate with a lot of chances to get the position:
  • Sony is market leader in consoles, game subs and cloud gaming, it's starting in PC (already top 20 publisher), expanded their IPs to cinemas and tv and their next step, in addition to get stronger in all these areas, will be to highly grow in mobile.
  • She has worked on building the current SIE strategy, knows the strategy
  • Has been at Sony since the PS2 (in SIE back then 5 years and last year came back), knows the company and gaming
  • And also was in Sony Mobile/Ericsson, knows mobile
  • Also worked in the HQ coordinating and planning the future of Sony and leaded business development
  • Worked closely with Hirai and the current CEO, who may support her to get the role
  • She is a woman and not white, which gives extra woke points for PR and marketing

He's a great candidate too, I think that with Lin Tao is maybe the person with more changes
  • 23 years working at SIE
  • Worked always at SIE as marketing/business management/product planning
  • Currently works as SIE SVP of Marketing
  • He also is a Bungie board of directors member, so may help with their integration
  • He's also head of PSN, so may push harder the PC (and maybe also mobile in the future) PSN store
  • He's white, heterosexual and male, so has less chances to get the promotion regarding woke PR points
Eh I don't think "woke" points matter that much in CEO position.

Notice how every big tech CEO is a man?

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

No, never knew this: https://tekkieuni.com/blog/women-ceos-in-tech/ and there are many more, both past and current.

Obviously my bet is they did not check their gender with them, so maybe these are not really women.

You can be assured DEI is at least influencing the CEO choice.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Kiichiro Urata will become CEO mark my words.
Like I correctly predicted that Jim Ryan will step down after ABK, this also shall become reality. 👇🏻

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

She would be CEO of a division/subsidiary, the CEO of Sony would continue being a man.

And yes, in big tech companies including videogames woman, LGTB, people from other etnicities have extra points for hirings and promotions to increase 'diversity' quotas. Most companies, as I remember Sony too, also include in their fiscal reports their efforts to increase 'diversity', diversity quotas etc.

But obviously isn't the only thing they consider for hirings and promotions. On average way less women than men are interested in tech/STEM careers. Same goes with business administration/entrepeneurship, the percent of women way lower than men. Not only in promotions, but creating their own tech/gaming company/startup. In addition to this, on average way more women than men retire at certain age when they have and raise kids, so at the age that someone may end being promoted to CEO there aren't almost women as in AMD, YouTube or Oracle to name a few.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Kiichiro Urata will become CEO mark my words.
Like I correctly predicted that Jim Ryan will step down after ABK, this also shall become reality. 👇🏻

No, he 'only' has been SVP of 3rd party relationships with Asian team CEO for two years. And they aren't in their best shape. Before that, he was CEO of Capcom USA & Europe for 10 years, and Capcom USA & Europe always sucked. Before that, he worked for the 'enemy', Microsoft as Corporate Officer, Interactive Entertainment Business & Strategy during 9 years. So may be a cover agent 'spy' xDD

I think Lin Tao and Eric Lempel have way more chances and are a better fit. Both have a very longer career at Sony/SIE, including high and important management and strategical positions, also in key areas that will be specially important in SIE's future: PSN and mobile.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: anonpuffs

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
No, he 'only' has been SVP of 3rd party relationships with Asian team CEO for two years. And they aren't in their best shape. Before that, he was CEO of Capcom USA & Europe for 10 years, and Capcom USA & Europe always sucked. Before that, he worked for the 'enemy', Microsoft as Corporate Officer, Interactive Entertainment Business & Strategy during 9 years. So may be a cover agent 'spy' xDD

I think Lin Tao and Eric Lempel have way more chances and are a better fit. Both have a very longer career at Sony/SIE, including high and important management and strategical positions, also in key areas that will be specially important in SIE's future: PSN and mobile.
So no like “Jim Ryan is never stepping down” huh?
I honestly don’t care what you say, you disbeliever have been so far always wrong with your predictions. It was me who claimed half a year ago, that Jim Ryan would stepp down because of the final result to ABK fight. And I was right again. My track record is so far better than yours self-appointed insiders lol.

Edit: An no you’re wrong in another point: He was appointed to company director of SIE.

This is the highest position besides CEO and Chairman. You can be in denial as much as you like, but you don’t get appointed as Company director in just two years…
Also your suggestions are horrible idea. Eric Lempel belongs to the marketing team, he is not leader material. Lin Tao is too focused on M&A. She is too important to lose for this role. Kiichiro Urata has leading qualifications more than anyone. He saved Capcom from their misery.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
So no like “Jim Ryan is never stepping down” huh?
Jim Ryan decided to retire after 30 years in the company because he's 63 years old. He obviously was going to retire some day, won't be working there forever. He decided to do it with the 30th anniversary, with SIE better than ever and after breaking most records he could as SIE CEO.

I honestly don’t care what you say, you disbeliever have been so far always wrong with your predictions.
Bullshit, I often nail predictions or get pretty close.

It was me who claimed half a year ago, that Jim Ryan would stepp down because of the final result to ABK fight. And I was right again. My track record is so far better than yours self-appointed insiders lol.
No, you are wrong because he's retiring for being very old (and millionaire) and not because of the final result of the ABK fight. A final result that we still don't know, but super likely will end with ABK being acquired by MS.

They won't give a shit about the ABK acquisition, ABK represents a tiny portion of SIE business and they will continue having CoD for at least 10 years, plus Sony will be able to access the entire catalog of ABK for their game sub via Ubisoft if desired. In the same way that Bethesda acquisition and Starfield didn't change a shit, same will happen with the ABK acquisition: Sony will continue dominating MS and increasing their market share in consoles.

• haha
Reactions: Eternal_Wings

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
Jim Ryan decided to retire after 30 years in the company because he's 63 years old. He obviously was going to retire some day, won't be working there forever. He decided to do it with the 30th anniversary, with SIE better than ever and after breaking most records he could as SIE CEO.

Bullshit, I often nail predictions or get pretty close.

No, you are wrong because he's retiring for being very old (and millionaire) and not because of the final result of the ABK fight. A final result that we still don't know, but super likely will end with ABK being acquired by MS.

They won't give a shit about the ABK acquisition, ABK represents a tiny portion of SIE business and they will continue having CoD for at least 10 years, plus Sony will be able to access the entire catalog of ABK for their game sub via Ubisoft if desired. In the same way that Bethesda acquisition and Starfield didn't change a shit, same will happen with the ABK acquisition: Sony will continue dominating MS and increasing their market share in consoles.
You’re coping hard dude. See it you have been multiple times wrong, you know nothing about Sony. What’s also so annoying, you can’t admit being wrong, always twist it so you look right.
Jim Ryan did not retire because of age lmao. That’s what they told the public. It’s same as an employer’s reference, it’s not written too negative as it could harm the ex-employee’s applications for future employers. He never intended to step down. They can’t say to public he was laid off because of certain results or his performance.
I have been correct and I said before 2023 ends, he will step down. Live with it or keep being delusional.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If they do, it'll be the death of PlayStation and would be completely deserved.

There's only really room for like 5-6 big or moderately big GaaS titles any given generation, it seems like. Even heavily established IPs like Halo and Diablo have died on the hill of trying to go GaaS and failing spectacularly.

Sony may have much better management of their studios and IPs when it comes to traditional and limited live-service titles but how much of that really translates over to GaaS? Because it will not be 100% that much I can promise. And, how much would they need to compete against the MiHoYos, NetEases, EAs, Ubisofts (or whoever owns CounterStrike...I think it's Valve?), Epics etc. because that will be Sony's competition in the GaaS space (alongside others I didn't name).

I'm not saying Sony shouldn't go for GaaS at all. But, they need to very smart about it, and aim for genres and takes that would be extremely novel and unique in the GaaS market. Something like a PvPvE-style rhythm game, or GaaS platformer. With all due respect stuff like FairGame$ ain't it and Marathon mainly has such a strong shot because it's Bungie, otherwise it'd be one of many scifi-themed FPS GaaS titles in the market.

Sony is very happy with the results of Sony GaaS games like MLB, Gran Turismo 7 and Destiny 2. They were also very happy with the success of some of their previous ones like Little Big Planet or PS Home, and Hermen even said he was proud of Dreams. And well, obviously smaller scale GaaS like Firewall Ultra or Helldivers 2 won't aim to compete against games like Fortnite, GTAV, Genshin Impact or Minecraft.

Jimbo said that they don't expect to see all their GaaS being super successful. Something normal, typically game publishers or investors bet on like ten or twenty projects and expect only a handful of them being a a big success, some of them doing ok or good and some of them fail. And with the big success of the main ones cover the failures.

They will be fine.