Sony Has A Crucial Decision To Make After Jim Ryan's Retirement.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
One console hardware standard where the competition in the market is on software would be ideal. PC would still exist as a 'competitor'. Handheld/mobile would still exist. Cloud would still exist. These were not viable alternatives during the NES days.

As it stands Xbox doesn't need to exist and the market would be demonstrably better if they went 3rd party.
PC gaming (and cheaper alternatives like the Atari ecosystem) existed, as did basic handheld devices like the G&W and Microvision. Having viable alternatives is great and I like that this current generation is finally giving consumers real, meaningful choices to make when it comes to system ownership.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
One console hardware standard where the competition in the market is on software would be ideal. PC would still exist as a 'competitor'. Handheld/mobile would still exist. Cloud would still exist. These were not viable alternatives during the NES days.

As it stands Xbox doesn't need to exist and the market would be demonstrably better if they went 3rd party.

Let's agree to disagree. Ms at their absolute worst still managed to sell 55M consoles. That shows there's demand for their product and keeps some sort of balance with Nintendo and Sony on consoles.

Stiff competition from MS and Nintendo on the 7th gen forced Sony to build their first parties to what they are today and to explore alternatives to provide more value to their customers like ps plus. Do you think the Sony that asked you to have a second job to buy a PS3 off a high from the PS2 monopoly would have done that?

Also disagree about having a single console would make life easier for developers. Folks hated the PS2 and ps3 architecture and jumped ship to the 360 as soon as they had the chance.

D

Deleted member 223

Xbox facilitaties PC porting and vice versa. No sane PCMR wants that trojan horse to go - at least not those that understand the game.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
We seriously need competition guys, not the other way around. Look at the current Playstation, little to no engagement with fans, subscription price hikes, severe lack of single player games from first party studios, PC ports, GAAS push. All these things happened cause Playstation has been dominating for far too long, 10 years now. We gain benefits when Xbox is more hostile guys, not the other way around. Now if only Xbox can fire Phil and get someone competent enough.

• haha

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Let's agree to disagree. Ms at their absolute worst still managed to sell 55M consoles. That shows there's demand for their product and keeps some sort of balance with Nintendo and Sony on consoles.

Stiff competition from MS and Nintendo on the 7th gen forced Sony to build their first parties to what they are today and to explore alternatives to provide more value to their customers like ps plus. Do you think the Sony that asked you to have a second job to buy a PS3 off a high from the PS2 monopoly would have done that?

Also disagree about having a single console would make life easier for developers. Folks hated the PS2 and ps3 architecture and jumped ship to the 360 as soon as they had the chance.
24 million was their absolute worst, and it's heading back there with the XS and successor console.

Hating PS2/PS3 architecture is irrelevant today. Sony have fixed their architecture since.

And ps+ sucks. It sucked when it gave you free games and it sucked even more when it became a multiplayer paywall. The only innovations Microsoft brought are godawful shit ones we would do better without.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
We seriously need competition guys, not the other way around. Look at the current Playstation, little to no engagement with fans, subscription price hikes, severe lack of single player games from first party studios, PC ports, GAAS push. All these things happened cause Playstation has been dominating for far too long, 10 years now. We gain benefits when Xbox is more hostile guys, not the other way around. Now if only Xbox can fire Phil and get someone competent enough.
The only legitimate critique in here is raising the cost of PS+. Everything else is good.

Playstation is the strongest it's ever been, and the best it's ever been. I'm happy to see Playstation studios return to multiplayer games. It was a competitive blunder to cede MP to 3rd parties for the whole PS4 era.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Benefit? As in removing total game catalogs away from single console owning ppl who only own ps? Nahhh they are not adding shit to the dynamics but negativity. They aren't even competing but getting stomped which has caused their consolidation moves out of desperation that have not benefited gamers in general or brought positive results from "competition". Competition also did not cause Nintendo to do shit except get in their own bubble and also add a pay wall behind mp, also they don't gaf and keep their games at a high price.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Benefit? As in removing total game catalogs away from single console owning ppl who only own ps? Nahhh they are not adding shit to the dynamics but negativity. They aren't even competing but getting stomped which has caused their consolidation moves out of desperation that have not benefited gamers in general or brought positive results from "competition". Competition also did not cause Nintendo to do shit except get in their own bubble and also add a pay wall behind mp, also they don't gaf and keep their games at a high price.
My Switch library would be far bigger if Nintendo didn't insist 7-year old games should still cost $70 CDN.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
My Switch library would be far bigger if Nintendo didn't insist 7-year old games should still cost $70 CDN.
Mine too or maybe I'd even play it. My switch is new only used it fir a week and my sons also. Mind you my vita I use to take everywhere!

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
Mine too or maybe I'd even play it. My switch is new only used it fir a week and my sons also. Mind you my vita I use to take everywhere!
The most I have used my switch in the last year is Vampire Survivors, a game that was $10 with all DLC included. The only first-party game I bought for Switch so far is Ring Fit Adventure, and everything else was $20 or less.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gamernyc78

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
The only legitimate critique in here is raising the cost of PS+. Everything else is good.

Playstation is the strongest it's ever been, and the best it's ever been. I'm happy to see Playstation studios return to multiplayer games. It was a competitive blunder to cede MP to 3rd parties for the whole PS4 era.
I don’t give a fuck about PC. Why the hell should I think PC ports is a good thing.

• Shake
Reactions: Cool hand luke

Thunderstorm__

31 May 2023
It doesn't affect your life whatsoever. Maybe you're deeply unhappy and don't like to see others having fun?
Yes, I don’t like to see others having fun, i want to see PS fans having fun you know, cause I’m part of the community. These platforms are not friends You know, people who say console fanboys are children are actually children themselves because they are so naive.

• brain